• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

First Reference Sheet

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
You need more practice with a tablet. The lines are all squiggly, have no variation, and you colour out of the lines a couple times. What program are you using to draw?

As for the figure itself, his left arm in both views is excessively long. His torso in the front view looks too short, and his tail looks like it's glued to the side of his hip. In the back view his legs have a lot of unneeded muscle definition.

If you want I can do a redline for this.

Last edited:

Ilayas

Your character does not have any unique markings on his face so close ups of his face/back of his head I feel are unnecessary. I always like it when people clearly state what species and gender the character is supposed to be on the sheet it's self. The text from your color palette should not be overlapping your drawing. There is plenty of blank space on your sheet as it is now you can move things around a bit.

Your coloring is flat other then the fact that you don't stay in the lines there's not much to say about it. Flat coloring on a character sheet is not necessarily a bad thing though.

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
you need some work with the proportions of the body severely. If you want, someone here can give you redlines to help you out to a degree, but I think it's a good time to invest in a couple good quality books
http://forums.furaffinity.net/threads/99262-Book-Spotlight-Post-your-fave-art-books

good place to start looking. I would recommend pretty much any book in that thread for you at this point.

I can give some more precise tips and advice in the morning when i'm not so tired anymore.

Miles_T_Springfoot

Goofy Jerboa
First of all, thanks for the help.I would appreciate the redlining on the sheet, as it would also let me see how badly I screwed up the pose Ireferenced. And I'm using GIMP 2.0, as it feels easier to work with than Photoshop. As far as the reccomended books, I have Right Side of the Brain, and one of the recommended figure drawing books, it's just a matter of being able to translate from a 3D shape to the actual body part that's an issue. My poses come out too stiff, and I have issues not being fluid with my lines.

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
First of all, thanks for the help.I would appreciate the redlining on the sheet, as it would also let me see how badly I screwed up the pose Ireferenced. And I'm using GIMP 2.0, as it feels easier to work with than Photoshop. As far as the reccomended books, I have Right Side of the Brain, and one of the recommended figure drawing books, it's just a matter of being able to translate from a 3D shape to the actual body part that's an issue. My poses come out too stiff, and I have issues not being fluid with my lines.

Yeah all of that comes better with lots of mistakes and practice. Give it some years if you keep working at it daily.

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
Adding to what Arshes Nei said, you're doing well and keeping your nose to the grindstone, but remember now is the time to beef up on basics as best as you can. It's insanely hard to draw an arm if you cannot handle cylinders in the first place. Drawing/brain is a good book at this point to show you the ropes, but you'll be practicing the basics from here on out I have to warn you. Recently I'm getting back into cuboid shapes myself and it's oddly helping with my skull structures.

Keep your chin up-- you're not great at this point (certainly not the worst I've seen here), but your determination is showing lots of promise. Hold onto that and keep going.

A note on style that I want to point out as well is to avoid black and white colouring, because you can't properly shade and highlight them. Use undertones. His fur is sort of rust-coloured, so blue or violet undertones in the black would help them pop. Same with having yellowish undertones on the white.

Also, you say that he's a rat in the submission info, which I didn't get from the image at all. Nothing about this character suggests rat to me. I thought it was a rabbit with a long tail, actually. Look at pictures of rats and learn how to draw their faces, and that will make a big difference.

Just looking at the skulls, you can see a big difference in shape and form.

Rabbit

Rat

Miles_T_Springfoot

Goofy Jerboa
I see what you're saying with that, and long-eared jerboas (his species) are more mouselike than ratlike, too. And another question: What do I do with the redline? Reference it? Trace it? I'm assuming the former.

Last edited:

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
I see what you're saying with that, and long-eared jerboas (his species) are more mouselike than ratlike, too. And another question: What do I do with the redline? Reference it? Trace it? I'm assuming the former.

Tracing tends to not teach you as much as if you were actively processing your thoughts and trying to replicate something similar. Redlines are guidelines to structuring a body. Most are underdeveloped draw-overs that you can eventually use to finish a drawing yourself.