• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

First rule of Furry: ( Register article)

Swampwulf

Verbose Senior Bitch
Don't talk about furry to the media.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/28/bay-area_furries/

Great, even more people convinced that furry means:
I have to own a fursuit.
I have to collect plushies.
I only want to get together with my friends to have deviant sex.

This article isn't as bad a most I've read, but still, why do people feel that they're going to be able to convince a media, looking for a sensational story, that they're going to be able to 'put a good face' on the fandom?

S

Starburst

I don't own a fursuit.
I own plushies, but don't avidly collect.
.....NOT commenting on the last thing.

Seriously, I just usually ignore the media, and I wish more people would do the same.

HaTcH

RE: First rule of Furry:

Hmm

Quotes of interest:

""Furries aren’t the most socially competent people," says Morley John, a female furry and engineer based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania."
OMG! Furries in Pennsylvania??

""I've had a lot of sex at furry conventions,” admits Howler, "but I’m a slut, and I arranged the party."..."
Thats exactly what we don't need to be telling the media...

"...Yet Howler says he doesn’t necessarily represent the larger furry population."
... and thats a true furry sticking up for the rest of us!

""Furries are shy people who normally sit in front of the computer playing World of Warcraft," says Howler, "and being a furry is a way to make friends.""
That should be bolded and flaunted.

uncia

Thanks for the link, Swampwulf. Yeah; seen worse, but got a smile or two, anyhow. ;)

"The furry community suffered after the dotcom crash, but it's coming back."
News to me! Silicon Valley is obviously far more important to the "furry community" than I realised.

"But what else is a giraffe trapped in the body of a computer programmer to do? Reports of animalistic behavior sometimes surface after Dungeons and Dragons marathons, and roll playing websites are beginning to introduce animal avatars. But let's face it - how can anything replace a cheek-to-cheek slow dance with a purple penguin?"
:lol:

btw. "roll playing" != "role playing". Hmm... sorry, 3e D&D... I take that back. ^^

d.

p.s. *yay* Tani da page 3 girl. Go kitty! :D

Swampwulf

Verbose Senior Bitch
uncia said:
p.s. *yay* Tani da page 3 girl. Go kitty! :D

Yay?:?

Not so much in my opinion.
Once again, it all just adds to our reputation of being sickos, perverts, and freaks.
Even the saner voices just add bulk to the story IMO.
*shrugs*

but, as you always say, it's just my two cents.

Whirlaxis

Meh, nothing i haven't seen in every other furry article. I didn't read past eh first page though, let me know if i missed something new.

Everybody freaks out about us having a bad face to the media, but hey, if we weren't people who like to imagine themselves as animals and have a good time about it, many of us in a sexual way, then we wouldn't be furries, would we?

uncia

Nah, that was just my *personal* reaction to seeing Tani and that pose of hers, not in the context of the article.

Anyhow; if it's a call between a friendly looking snowmeow(ish) critter and a visual depiction of that "cheek-to-cheek slow dance with a purple penguin" when there's deemed to be an editorial "need" for a suit pic, I'd go for the former.

Swampwulf said:
Once again, it all just adds to our reputation of being sickos, perverts, and freaks.
Even the saner voices just add bulk to the story IMO.
*shrugs*

*nods*. Plays somewhat to many of the usual stereotypes and even that voiced "refutation" of the Vanity Fair article, etc., is deliberately knife-twisted back in a few paras later.
A few snippets somewhat better as with getting stats re. suits vs. non-suits at cons to get that particular point into perspective (vs CSI presentation, say), but would be easy enough for anyone who wished to focus on the "negatives" in the article to do so.

Swampwulf said:
but, as you always say, it's just my two cents.

As always here, friend.

David.

Hakar

Meh, this is what happened with D&D before. Except it involved less sex and more devil worship.

Kiniel

<sarcasm>
*le GASP* A subculture was misrepresented by an extremist representative! I'm sure that never ever happens...
</sarcasm>

Eh, this sort of stuff will always happen. It's just part of what it means to stray from the "norm" at all. Really, anyone with half a brain knows the media never gets an accurate picture about stuff like that. I don't put too much thought into stuff like this. Although if it's still important to some people, maybe they should make an effort to reverse some stereotypes? (Or would that just be asking for trouble?)

As a side note: Uncia's right. The picture on page three is pretty awesome.

Pff.

Furry = Interest in the animal kingdom.

What more is furry other than anthropomorphic artwork? It's a message to the world... you like animals?

HaTcH

So... It makes me wonder... why don't media outlets analyze places like FA? And other obvious hubs for the furry community.

Fursuiters make up a small percentage of the furry demographic... for a truly accurate sample, I mean, talk to the community in its element... online!

Kiniel

HaTcH said:
So... It makes me wonder... why don't media outlets analyze places like FA? And other obvious hubs for the furry community.

Fursuiters make up a small percentage of the furry demographic... for a truly accurate sample, I mean, talk to the community in its element... online!

Because rationality and moderation doesn't make good news. I don't see why it doesn't, really -- it's rare enough these days. ;)

uncia

Hakar said:
Meh, this is what happened with D&D before. Except it involved less sex and more devil worship.

Well, later on - for example re. James Dallas Egbert III- the focus was more towards the latter, perhaps, but the "complaints" re. sexual content and "bad influences" on such were in there at the start.

It's rather difficult to complain when TSR published the likes of Eldritch Wizardry (1976) [do I put nsfw on a Barbie doll?]; and that wasn't the first such explicit depiction (in either respect) in RPGdom by a long shot.
To put that cover in the words of TSR's editor at the time (Tim Kask);

(I had even more fun trying to deal with the cover pic on White Dwarf #5 vs. my parents, but that's another story...).

The same broadbrush media approach has always been applied to the furry fandom, too: if it's published or otherwise "seen", it's "fair game". And we're a helluva lot more visible and liable to such treatment now than 20 or even 10 years back in all regards.

Anyhow; in neither case was/is such publicity particularly "appreciated" by a fairly large percentage of the respective communities, but if anything the periods of greatest growth in each have roughly co-incided with such over-simplified and not always positive interest.
(Could even go overboard on the flip-side and point that for D&D the decline came /after/ that more "contentious" content was deliberately edited out (2e; 1989) to make the game more "family friendly", but we all know that real reason for the decline-and-fall was Lorraine Williams. *jk*).

Cheers,
d.

TundraWolfBlade

I'm a littile tied up atm
Kiniel said:
HaTcH said:

Because rationality and moderation doesn't make good news. I don't see why it doesn't, really -- it's rare enough these days. ;)

What?!*Head snaps around.* Rationality? Moderation?! WHAT ARE THESE WORDS!?

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
lol e-news.

I suppose you do kinda need a bit better qualifications than an Gaming e-journo though.

Cygnus421

I wouldn't say to never speak out on what "Furry" means, I think its more of a matter of weather or not you represent us right.  Saying that we all wear fursuits with our penises hanging out and have extensive collections of teddy bears would be intirely inacurate...  

Here's what I feel is a good representation of what "Furry" is all about.  The one guy says "The fandom is different for everyone" which i feel cannot be stressed enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7JRPBp452k

This movie, on the other hand, i dont like because i does in fact make furry look like the stupidest thing in existance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh7EDdcQqdw

Dragsooth

I'm a sorcerer <:3
1: I don't have a fursuit but I'd love one
2: I have some but I'm no collecter of them
3: sex isn't everything

Corbenik

Duke of *******
I don't have one and most likely never will.

I have some plush toys from when I was a kid.

Like Dragsooth said, sex isn't everything.

Bloodangel

Banned
Banned
Stuff like this is just boring now. :s

dave hyena

A wonderous moorhen
uncia said:
(I had even more fun trying to deal with the cover pic on White Dwarf #5 vs. my parents, but that's another story...).

NSFW

http://index.rpg.net/display-entry?mainid=5899
http://index.rpg.net/pictures/show-pic.phtml?picid=6777

Funnily enough, It looks rather better than it does now. Nice flat and clear layout with the boxes and a soothing shade of biege.
-

ADF

Despite what people say there are much worst groups than furries, I for instance wouldn't mind seeing the extermination of the yob culture. Now here he have a group that takes pride in being anti social, violent and criminal activities... but that guy over there is wearing a tail! The yobs are beating old ladies for fun but fox boy here is a tactical priority.

Oh well I suppose it is easier to whine about furries than take on people who will kick your head in at a whim. I just find it irritating that we get the bad press while a little while ago I saw a documentary on yobs put in a positive light! They were dancing around a car they just set on fire while boozing up and the commentary was positive! Gah, and supposedly we are the ones messed up.

I don;t have a fursuit, nor want one. I don't collect plushies, nor want to. And I don't have sex at random conventions. Hmm.....

I guess I'm not a furry. :p

But yeah, this is why we don't go talking to the media. I already made that mistake years ago when they misrepresented my school as a bomb threat, not a science fair.

And I may use this as a topic for my podcast. Hmmmmmmm.....

ceacar99

behold my boomstick!
yknow, that article wasnt bad. it didnt say anything realy bad about the furry community, in fact it covered alot of myths, like....

article said:
"Most furries don't dress up," says Howling. "People also come to conventions to just draw, dance and talk about their characters."
or
article said:
Furries are hard to define, he says, but they are known for being techies - even if the converse isn't always true.

this article didnt say "all furries wear a fursuit", it didnt say "all furries are dorks", nor did it say we are all perverted. it did say however that furries are hard to define and it focused on fury life in a con, NOT all the furries just those at the cons. relax, it was a good article.

HaTcH

I have to own a fursuit.
Nope.
I have to collect plushies.
Nope.
I only want to get together with my friends to have deviant sex.
Uhm... no? This isn't the 60s. (but our art may say otherwise)

So, in that regard, I fail the furry test.

Iron-Wolf

I like how the media will never talk to a furs like myself. In officers school. Relatively popular. Socially competent enough to have many non-fur friends and attend many parties. And was a lineman for his high school's football team.