• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

First time making a lip sync 3D animation (Feedback needed)

FoxZarz

Just a dumb big fox
So, i've done lip sync animations before but with... Minecraft characters, wich didn't haved a complex mouth, and this is my first time trying to do some lip syncing wih a more complex furry model X3 (Character in the video belongs to LGisus on Furaffinity, a Friend of mine)

And I'm... just, wondering if i can get some feedback? ',:'3 i don't know if this looks bad, acceptable, okay, or... idk x'D

Eyleifr

Recluse
Imho, it looks good, but I want the lips on the vowels to stand out and move more strongly. It's not so easy face of the beast, of course. If this is your first time, well, I think it's a great result?

FoxZarz

Just a dumb big fox
Imho, it looks good, but I want the lips on the vowels to stand out and move more strongly. It's not so easy face of the beast, of course. If this is your first time, well, I think it's a great result?
X"D I guess so, thx for the feedback buddy

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
Woah, looking good! Quite impressive. I've never tried that myself before, so can't really offer much more detailed feedback.

Any good tutorials you can recommend? Incidentally I just fitted a new face rig to 2 of my characters, might be something to try out!

FoxZarz

Just a dumb big fox
Woah, looking good! Quite impressive. I've never tried that myself before, so can't really offer much more detailed feedback.
Thanks anyway X'3
Any good tutorials you can recommend?
I haven't watched a lot of Blender tutorials, actually I almost haven't watched tutorials at all, i like to discovet things by my own. Altough i would recommend doing some stuff that will definitely help u at least a little x3
  • Use Workbench proccesing engine if you're on Blender, it's way smoother than Eevee and Cycles on old PC's and it's a good workaround for working with stable FPS
  • Have a mirror near your PC. I don't personally use it a lot, but it is recommended if you want perfect expressions, just replicate in a mirror the face you want to animate, and use it as real-time guide
  • Hide everything you're not using actively, just focus in ONE thing at the time. That not only goes for things on the scene, but also for things such as Bezier Nodes

Look the difference between focusing on one bone at the time than having EVERYTHING unhiden (btw this is a screenshot of the project of the animation above lol)

Cute and simple.png
    WHAT A MESS.png
  • Be patient, REALLY patient @w@
  • Do not try to do things you know you won't be able to do, know your limits and work slowly with the things you can do, and slowly experiment on new things, not mixing all together
  • If you think your project isn't going well, start a new one trying to outbest the 'failed one'. If you can't, then try multiple times until you outmaster all that makes you struggle >:3
  • Do backups, do not trust in the software auto-save system
  • Do not animate anything that is not on the camera view, save time :3
  • Animate the face BEFORE the body, since it could get difficult to animate it later with all that movement
  • If for some reason you animated the body BEFORE the face, attach a camera to the character head so you have a solid and constant view of the facial gestures
  • Take breaks, do NOT try to finish the animation in one sitting if it is too complex for you, it's less likely to abandon a project if you take periodical breaks knowing you're going to come back
  • Do not use auto weight map when using rigs, it doesen't look to good, i would recommend serching online how to make weight maps for new rigs, since that is a little complicated (i mean... is easy, but like most of the things on 3D animation, requires a while to understand)
And... I think that's it? :'3 i'm not an expert on this so... it's probably you won't even need some of theese advices X'D

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
Thanks anyway X'3

I haven't watched a lot of Blender tutorials, actually I almost haven't watched tutorials at all, i like to discovet things by my own. Altough i would recommend doing some stuff that will definitely help u at least a little x3
  • Use Workbench proccesing engine if you're on Blender, it's way smoother than Eevee and Cycles on old PC's and it's a good workaround for working with stable FPS
  • Have a mirror near your PC. I don't personally use it a lot, but it is recommended if you want perfect expressions, just replicate in a mirror the face you want to animate, and use it as real-time guide
  • Hide everything you're not using actively, just focus in ONE thing at the time. That not only goes for things on the scene, but also for things such as Bezier Nodes

Look the difference between focusing on one bone at the time than having EVERYTHING unhiden (btw this is a screenshot of the project of the animation above lol)

View attachment 139528 View attachment 139529
  • Be patient, REALLY patient @w@
  • Do not try to do things you know you won't be able to do, know your limits and work slowly with the things you can do, and slowly experiment on new things, not mixing all together
  • If you think your project isn't going well, start a new one trying to outbest the 'failed one'. If you can't, then try multiple times until you outmaster all that makes you struggle >:3
  • Do backups, do not trust in the software auto-save system
  • Do not animate anything that is not on the camera view, save time :3
  • Animate the face BEFORE the body, since it could get difficult to animate it later with all that movement
  • If for some reason you animated the body BEFORE the face, attach a camera to the character head so you have a solid and constant view of the facial gestures
  • Take breaks, do NOT try to finish the animation in one sitting if it is too complex for you, it's less likely to abandon a project if you take periodical breaks knowing you're going to come back
  • Do not use auto weight map when using rigs, it doesen't look to good, i would recommend serching online how to make weight maps for new rigs, since that is a little complicated (i mean... is easy, but like most of the things on 3D animation, requires a while to understand)
And... I think that's it? :'3 i'm not an expert on this so... it's probably you won't even need some of theese advices X'D
True that, I actually have multiple animations made over the years so I had to get to know these things already. But thanks for typing all that out, someone who is just starting with 3D will have a lot of use from them!

About tutorials, I had something more specific in mind, such as "how to make phonemes" or somesuch. Sure thing, it exists on You Tube. But not all tutorials are equally good, so I still prefer asking people rather than Google. Maybe they've seen something really great.

It's strange but for all the animation I've made, lip sync was the one I never tried. I perceived it as very hard and my face setups were kind of messy.

Currently I'm slowly chipping away at a rather huge project and I figured that my rigs, being Rigify in a *really* old version, are not good enough. Updating to the current one is really needed - and it has a new face rig as well. Human-looking but can be adjusted to animal characters. So my characters are becoming finally technically able to have lip sync working for them.