• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

First time sona - Artist help needed (controversial)

Tuls Elbaroda

No one's hotter than an otter!
Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and was brought here because I don't really know where else to seek the answers.
For years I had a problem of making my own fursona. Had 3 completely different species color schemes styles and never ended up happy with my creations. Now I decided to try a different way which got me where I wanted to be but really, not exactly. I know lots of people will not be glad to read this but please try to understand that I was otherwise helpless and this was all I could come up with.
So instead of drawing my own art (as I knew exactly what I want but wasn't able to produce it myself) like before, I decided to seek drawings of better artists and cut out sections of their drawings that I needed. Since I'm quite skilled with GIMP it wasn't a big problem for me and soon enough I had put together an exact reflection of what before was inside my head. Nearly that is...
Few bits here and there still need a steady hand of a skilled artist to make it complete just like adding all the colours and textures but the point is, what I have created is an outline reference for a reference sheet. It isn't a work of "art" to be shared with everyone. It's a way to show an actual artist what I want. The biggest parts cut out were these of the lower body, on which I want to make some changes but am not able to on my own, and the the paws where the same thing applies. Head and face are put together of multiple bases in such a way that it truly became "original" and the tail is fully "my own" idea and work (although quite poorly made).

I know how much of a controversial topic this is, yet I'm looking for an artist who would be able to finish what I have started (making a whole new reference sheet) . I don't know what the prices usually are, but I'm prepared to spend some money on this thingy, PayPal ready.
The info I can give about the sona is that it is a 80/20% otter/beaver mix with slightly feral posture
(kinda Zootopia like?).
In case of interest I can provide the unfinished outline picture either on a white background and/or a .xcf file with all the layers and progress that I have made, including the original drawings.

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place. Any feedback is appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

redhusky

Emperor of Floof! King of the Rats and Spamlord!
Using bases isn't a problem so long as you credit the artist and respect their wishes if they want it taken down.

I offer discounts for people who need a ref and don't have one yet and treat them as a single character for commission work. I also have a form you can fill out if you don't have any visual refs.

What's your budget?

forums.furaffinity.net: Commission (Selling): - Redhusky - Digital Comissions

Tuls Elbaroda

Art Sales and Auctions, that is a bit awkward but I'll remember that... And about budget. I really don't know how much is too much and how little is too little.
Can I get a reference sheet for £50? More? I really need help with all these things. It's all new and scary to me :(.

redhusky

Emperor of Floof! King of the Rats and Spamlord!
Art Sales and Auctions, that is a bit awkward but I'll remember that... And about budget. I really don't know how much is too much and how little is too little.
Can I get a reference sheet for £50? More? I really need help with all these things. It's all new and scary to me :(.
NP, just make a note of it.

Based on the special I mentioned the most for a two pose ref would go for $55. And would look like this in terms of quality.

flyingram.deviantart.com: Ryo Reference

You should take a look at my thread to see if anything is to your liking. I have more char refs here:
Character Refs by FlyingRam on DeviantArt

Eleven-lyc

Elder Werewolf
Rewind just over a year and I was in almost exactly the same situation you find yourself in now. I had a character, my fursona/weresona, which I'd had for years, but without a look to him. Over the years I had collected many pieces of werewolf art containing features that I liked, that I could see on my character, but lacked a complete, coherent vision of him. I had never commissioned anyone, either. I think the only differences are that I wasn't sure what he should look like overall, as a whole, and I hadn't managed to go as far as taking out individual details from art and collating them together.
I ended up posting a topic in the Art Sales forum, as Red Husky mentioned, explaining my situation, history, and that I was after someone who could help me further develop the concept I had, using all of the artwork I had collected. I attracted the attention of several artists, soon picked one, and it all developed from there. I think you're going to have a much easier time of it than I did, though; you seem to know almost exactly what your character should look like! It took me a long time to meditate on things during the development, sketches and alterations going back and forth between myself and the artist, as I tried to realize how he should look, tried to further solidify how he was appearing in my dreams.
So, I wouldn't call it too controversial, in any case not much more controversial than what I did. As long as you're not massively copying anything, and it's more like “I'd like this bit looking about like how it looks in this artwork, this other bit looking about like how it looks in this other artwork, …” e.t.c..
Prices for reference sheets can vary quite a bit, I'd say from around $40 and up, possibly some really quick and simple ones from $30. But you don't necessarily have to go for a “proper” reference sheet commission — what I did was to pay the artist to make a series of exploratory sketches, developing aspects of my character. Once they were fully developed, I brought the finalized sketches together and made a reference sheet of my own. If you're good with graphics editors like GIMP you could do things that way; just ask the artist for the art you need, and incorporate it into a reference sheet of your own.
As I say, I reckon I've been down a similar road to the one you're on now, so I'd be happy to see if I can answer any additional queries/wonderings ^^

Tuls Elbaroda

Rewind just over a year and I was in almost exactly the same situation you find yourself in now. I had a character, my fursona/weresona, which I'd had for years, but without a look to him. Over the years I had collected many pieces of werewolf art containing features that I liked, that I could see on my character, but lacked a complete, coherent vision of him. I had never commissioned anyone, either. I think the only differences are that I wasn't sure what he should look like overall, as a whole, and I hadn't managed to go as far as taking out individual details from art and collating them together.
I ended up posting a topic in the Art Sales forum, as Red Husky mentioned, explaining my situation, history, and that I was after someone who could help me further develop the concept I had, using all of the artwork I had collected. I attracted the attention of several artists, soon picked one, and it all developed from there. I think you're going to have a much easier time of it than I did, though; you seem to know almost exactly what your character should look like! It took me a long time to meditate on things during the development, sketches and alterations going back and forth between myself and the artist, as I tried to realize how he should look, tried to further solidify how he was appearing in my dreams.
So, I wouldn't call it too controversial, in any case not much more controversial than what I did. As long as you're not massively copying anything, and it's more like “I'd like this bit looking about like how it looks in this artwork, this other bit looking about like how it looks in this other artwork, …” e.t.c..
Prices for reference sheets can vary quite a bit, I'd say from around $40 and up, possibly some really quick and simple ones from $30. But you don't necessarily have to go for a “proper” reference sheet commission — what I did was to pay the artist to make a series of exploratory sketches, developing aspects of my character. Once they were fully developed, I brought the finalized sketches together and made a reference sheet of my own. If you're good with graphics editors like GIMP you could do things that way; just ask the artist for the art you need, and incorporate it into a reference sheet of your own.
As I say, I reckon I've been down a similar road to the one you're on now, so I'd be happy to see if I can answer any additional queries/wonderings ^^
Thank you very much for your answer! Sorry my one is coming so late, it was a busy weekend. I already started working with Redhusky on a sheet of his make. Got stuck with making some additional describing pictures of how the back should look so hopefully I'll finish it all today. I like your idea of putting together lots of sketches so at some point I'll do that as well. I'll have to figure out how to stay in touch with you. I mean... If you want to :).

Eleven-lyc

Elder Werewolf
Sure ^^. The easiest way is probably via FA, if you wanted to send me a Note there anytime; my FA is <//www.furaffinity.net./user/eleven-lyc/>. Or if you don't have an FA account, then you could drop me a PM here, though I'm not on here as often.
Good luck realizing your fursona :3 That first artwork from someone is always special