• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fishing for critique

thegm

Alright, I'm not much of a forum-goer, but this couldn't really hurt. I'm looking for opinions on a new drawing, and I haven't had much luck asking friends. Therefore, I come to you, total strangers, wanting to know your thoughts on this... thing I did.

Also, thank you for your time.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/5787115

I'm not sure that the colouring style really supports the lack of outlines. It makes everything, her head especially, seem disconnected. I'm also not a fan of how shaggy she is, especially on her arms and legs. Even though nature doesn't care for an animal's gender, our minds do. That level of shagginess suggests male to the mind, to the point that I had to double check that the character was actually female.

She seems very squat. Her head is too close to her shoulders. Longer necks are seen as being more feminine and graceful and would also help get that idea across to the viewer.

Something about her shoulders is off, too. I can't tell if the style is making them seem disconnected or if they're just in the wrong place.

The angle of her snout also seems wrong to the rest of her head. And her ears, again; I can't tell if it's the style or if there's actually something wrong with them. The lack of lines is seriously messing with my head.

Her hands also need work. There's no structure or foreshortening to them, which makes them seem sort of put together. I'm also not a fan of the piece being cut off at her feet like that. And I think her legs may also be two different lengths.

My suggestion: Since this piece is already done, there isn't a whole lot I can offer in ways of how to improve it, so I can only offer tips on how to improve the next piece. To start, put down the coloured pencils for a while, and work on sketches. Work on anatomy, draw from life, and get a good sense of form. You seem to be drawing what you think a person looks like, rather than drawing a person. Using references are a great way to learn.

thegm

Thank you. See, this is exactly what I needed. Normally I would work with outlines constantly, so this was an experiment in that regard. I had no intent of fixing this drawing, rather, ensuring that the next several continue to get better. The best I can do is break out the picture books and work with them for a while to try and establish a better structure.

I will return, perhaps, when I believe I have gotten somewhere. Thank you yet again.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
One other thing is to start drawing the whole figure too. Feet look cut off. By learning your proportions for anatomy you can give yourself how much of an idea of how much of the paper you'll use by light lines (and don't forget of course perspective and foreshortening with this as well).

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
Adding to what Arshes said, composition can make or break your picture. Save yourself some time and trouble by making some thumbnail sketches to figure out your general layout, then continue on your drawing process. It's like giving yourself a roadmap.