• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

driftingdragon

Greetings everyone~ It's Drift coming at you with my most favorite questions.

These are merely ice breakers, just because I personally would like to get to know everyone a little better.
1) How long have you been in the fandom? And has that impacted your view on furries?
2) What kinds of legs do you prefer? Digi or planti? Why? Do you have a universe where both exist
3) What do you think of human/furry hybrid universes?
4) Which type of furry did you discover/gravitate to initially? Anthro or feral?
FINALLY!
5) Do you know anyone in your REAL life who is a furry? Did your conversion to furry happen because of them? Or did you all just so happen to meet post initiation?

O.K. lets do this fam! I'd love to hear what fellow Drifters have to say about these?

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
That's a lot of questions.

1. Officially? About 12 or 13 years. First anthro experience about 1975. I came in on the first big wave just as it was becoming popular. I hadn't known about the Furries before I joined. Yes... being in the Fandom this long has affected my view of the Fandom. Back then, we were persecuted a great deal and everyone was a little paranoid about John Q. Public.
2. Plantigrade for fursuit purposes. My Furry universe is the Fandom so yes, they both exist.
3. I like the anthro aspect.
4. I gravitated to anthro. I made my own fursuit in 2009, so he is 10 years old now.
5. I do know many, many RL furries. I have been to about 80 conventions. I didn't become a Furry because of them as I knew no RL Furries before I turned Furry.

Bluefiremark II

Magic Blue Phoenix
1. I've been in for a few years but only suuuper active for like a year or two.
How has it impacted my view? Well I've gotten used to it and realized we've all grown up with it. Seriously, people say they aren't furry however, shows like loony tunes are furry, many many companies and products have anthros for mascots and all, so being furry isn't actually as crazy as it seems.
2. I prefer digi but there's nothing wrong from planti. Why? I don't know, just appeals more to me. And yeah, i don't mind either one so yes.
3. Yup! I have one as well. It makes sense, since the universe is huge there's plenty of characters and places for species to be.
4. I gravitated to anthro, and generally i still do, but that doesn't mean i don't have ferals, since i do.
5. Sadly no, i do not know anyone furry in real life, though i kinda wish i knew.

XanderBoi

Your Friendly Goat-Coon
1) Unofficially: 4 Years. Officially: 6 Months. I was kind of an "outside looking in" person for a while and recently decided to dive head first.
2) In my art I tend to gravitate toward Digi, but I like both for different reasons.
3) Don't we live in one now? We are no different from ant other animal, we can just talk. Never mind the fact that we bring our characters to life by doing this very thing. All about perspective my friend! ^_^
4) Anthro. 100%
5) I do. I've known someone for the last year that was in the fandom, but he never told anyone. I recently started sharing my art with him as I do all of my friends and he asked me in private if I was in the fandom. I told him yes and found out he's deeper in the rabbit hole than even I am and I'm buying a suit next year! :p

This was fun, but we didn't get your answers!

Kinare

RAWR
1) 5ish years officially. I was introduced to the fandom shortly before signing up here back in Dec '14 so that helps me calculate. I was by definition a furry for a few years before that by at least 10 because my stories as a kid and teen have always had anthro characters in them.
2) No preference, though I do find digi can be done weirdly in art so for artistic purposes I tend to desire planti for my own characters depending on the artist's style.
3) Whatever your little heart desires imo, it's all fantasy. My story has such because in my story the anthro creatures aren't just "furries", they're actual creatures with actual purposes in the world beyond just existing and acting just like humans would.
4) Feral. As cool as anthros are, my love will always be with real big and smol cats.
5) IRL? What dis? Seriously though, no, I don't know of anyone IRL who is a furry. I was introduced to it by an online friend.

unicorn_jr

lil bastard
1) How long have you been in the fandom? And has that impacted your view on furries?
i've been in the fandom for maybe, like. a few months? it's pretty recent! i use to see furries as ""cringey"" and weird, but the actual fandom is so cool and fun to be apart of!!!

2) What kinds of legs do you prefer? Digi or planti? Why? Do you have a universe where both exist
i like digi legs!! i think they look cool and they're fun to draw!! a furry/anthro character with planti legs looks kind of weird to me - its like, oh. this is just a red human with kitty ears and a tail, or whatever. but with digi legs, it feels like it makes furry character designs more natural and logical!! if that makes sense asdfghjkl

eh, i don't really like em!! they feel strange to me. they're not bad tho!!!

4) Which type of furry did you discover/gravitate to initially? Anthro or feral?
anthro!!! i'm not really a feral person unless the character is a magical or original species with a cool physiology.

5) Do you know anyone in your REAL life who is a furry? Did your conversion to furry happen because of them? Or did you all just so happen to meet post initiation?
no, i dont :/ there're some furry groups that meet in the city i live in, but i haven't gone yet and i've never met anyone that goes to em. maybe someday!!

Leadhoof

Geneva what? I thought conventions were canceled.
1: Honestly, it's hard to say. I've liked anthro animals as long as I can remember, but I never really considered myself part of the fandom until early last year. I've never really had a problem with furries, and I think it's safe to say that hasn't changed.

2: Digi for me. That style just looks a lot more fitting to me.

3: I watch a lot of Bojack Horseman, so I'm used to that kind of universe.

4: When I first officially joined the fandom, I had a feral sona. He was pretty much just a holdover from my last fandom, but I liked the species enough to keep him.

5: Turns one of my oldest friends is a furry. Neither of us knew, and we just kind of became involved with the fandom on our own.

Guifrog

Spongefrog Bluepants
1. 15 years ago, before I knew the word "furry", I'd join many Sonic related web communities. People would create avatars by recolorizing Sonic characters or drawing entirely new ones and call them their own, sometimes even RP-ing as them. But it was just in 2018 that I'd get to check the general furry fandom by joining FurAffinity. As for the impact, just then I'd see the NSFW works that got me a bit uncomfy at first, but that feeling vanished

2. Planti. I think I grew used to those old Looney Tunes cartoons enough to prefer them over digi. Just a guess but not sure. I've never expanded my universe enough to feature digi characters but I suppose they exist :p

3. Indifferent

4. Anthro

5. Yep, a former classmate. He's an anthro tiger. Never told me to meet the furries, but I ended up here thanks to his influence.

I

Infrarednexus

These are all really good questions. I'd love to answer them myself.

1) I've been in the fandom for 7 years. I have grown to love the fandom and many of the furries in it. I have grown more comfortable with being a furry.
2) I prefer Planti. It goes better with my fursona. I do have a universe where both exist because it's more fun that way.
3) I personally prefer the the idea of a strictly furry universe.
4) I gravitated towards an anthro dragon furry.
5) I knew two friends back when I lived in Missouri who were furries. I think I was the one who converted one of them lol.

ConorHyena

road warrior
1) Been here for some time(six or seven years). Recently partook more in it. Met nice people. Y'know.
2) Depends on the art. There's art of my sona wearing boots which would only work plantigrade.. I don't really mind, other on species like Sergals or something.
3) It's a nice idea. Can be executed well.
4) Anthro, no question
5) Two of my friends are furries, I didn't meet them through the furry fandom though. + my BF is a furry, we started dating on here and eventually moved together.

Jackpot Raccuki

Fucking Racon
  1. Ngl, it's hard. I wanan say maybe 6 years? No impacts, other than finding out both how nice and toxic it can be, but really no fandom is perfect. :)
  2. Depends. I know my species that my sona is half of are Digi legged, mostly coz they're meant to have leg power! >:3 So yes, I have both~ (Mind you, I'm mostly in the middle with my sona, sometimes he has them and others he doesn't.)
  3. I mean nothing wrong with it. It's just like elves and dwarfs in RPGs really, only my furry and huggable. :3
  4. *points to ferals* This is brilliant, *then points to anthros* but I like this.
  5. Yes I know a lot of furry friends IRL.
And no, I didn't turn furry coz of them, rather it spread to them since I talked about my sona and my friend ended up making his after hearing about it.
We were into FNaF at the time... So you can kinda know furry wasn't hard for them to move to.

M

ManicTherapsid

1.) Based on the date of my original FA account, I'd say about 10 years.
2.)Digi
3.) I prefer furry only, but like Duckman, The Pelted, and Housepets universes.
4.) Anthro
5.) Sort of. A college classmate was, but I didn't find out til years later.

MCtheBeardie

Queen of Laziness
1. I’ve been a furry for as long as I can remember, since I picked up Spyro games at a very young age. But, I only recently became involved in the fandom a few months ago. I’m already familiar with a ton of things concerning the fandom, however! As for impacting my view of this fandom, I never really had a solid view on furries to begin with. As far as I’m concerned, it was just a normal fandom for me, coming into it. Every fandom has its good parts, and its flaws.

2. I love digi legs! I first got hooked on this leg style after I played Morrowind, an old Elder Scrolls game. I’m fine with both styles of legs, however, and I wouldn’t mind creating a universe with both leg types in it.

3. If executed right, I don’t mind it! I think you could create some very interesting stories in a hybrid universe.

4. Initially, when entering the fandom, I gravitated towards anthro characters. I had, and still have a deep love for Bethesda’s Elder Scrolls video games, and I almost exclusively play as Argonian characters (Argonians are a scaly race in the game, for those who aren’t aware). So, scaly anthro characters just naturally appeal to me!

5. No, I haven’t met any furry frens IRL... though I’m trying my hardest to find them!

Thrashy

The Drunk Skunk. Metal and Beer. FckNzs.
Something like 6 months ago, I've never even heard of Furries before :p
I've registered here at September 18, 2019. So I'm in the fandom for a few weeks now and still kinda trying to find myself into it.
But at least I'm in peace now with my "inner me" calling myself a furry. I think, I've always been one without knowing it.
I've still haven't told anyone I know IRL tough.

Gotta be honest, I have no idea what digi or planti legs are (/.\)

Might be interesting, but it's kinda hard to tell.

I'd say anthro

Sadly no, I do not know anybody personally who is in the fandom. This would actually really help me getting into the community "physically", rather than just write about stuff online.
Since I've never met people in real life that I've "met" online before, this is really a challenge for me. I'd love to meet some furs IRL, but damn do I kinda fear it at the same time (not meant in a judging manner!).
There would be a meetup like 30 minutes from my home, but I know a lot of people in this town, so chances of "getting caught" are high.
So no, my conversion didn't happen because of other friends. It might sound kinda creepy, but the fandom more found me (or was getting to me) rather than me searching for it. :p

D

Deleted member 132067

1) Not for a very long time. Though it didn't change a whole lot about my views on it. Some people are nicer than I thought they could be and some are more gross and weird than I expected them to be. Nothing too unexpected.
2) Plantigrade, personally. Don't know how they'd look on my sona though. I imagine it's all nice and pretty, but usually she's wearing a robe or dress which covers up the most of it anyway.
3) Hard to tell. I think furry all the way sounds better, I like consistency.
4) I discovered furries first through Anthros, probably like many others. But I do see the appeal in both of them.
5) My best friend and many people I've known for a longer time, online personalities especially. There wasn't this one defining moment that made me join this fandom, I think it all happend slowly over time.

AceQuorthon

International Man Of Mystery
Greetings everyone~ It's Drift coming at you with my most favorite questions.

These are merely ice breakers, just because I personally would like to get to know everyone a little better.
FINALLY!

O.K. lets do this fam! I'd love to hear what fellow Drifters have to say about these?
1) I’ve not been in the fandom that long but I’ve been a closet furry ever since elementary school, I really decided to be apart of the community two months ago.
2) Plantigrade. I prefer very humanoid fursonas.
3) I guess it could be nice, in the right story.
4) Anthro definitely, I really like the human aspect in fursonas!
5) I guess? I know of a guy who was a furry in high school but I didn’t interact with him much.

S

SLB-Portu23

1) For almost 2 years. I have to be honest here, I'm slightly disappointed with the fandom, not due to drama or people being unfriendly, its the simple fact that if you don't act in a certain way or have specific interests and attributes attached to your person within the community, no one really seems to bother with you and I've felt outcasted too many times already. Then there is this excessive focus on memes, random out of context jokes and superficial chit chatting that really adds nothing particularly useful or meaningful to the social bonding aspect which is a bit annoying, I mean, there's no chance of getting a proper conversation going when everyone's so obsessed with being funny and goofing around mindlessly. Other than that, this fandom has some amazingly talented artists and creative minds, this alone makes me not want to regret having assumed myself as a furry, I do love anthros afterall.

2) It depends of the context and artstyle, for me personally, both can look great under the right circumstances.

3) I think its a very interesting and appealing concept. If I had a bit more talent for drawing then would probably create several pieces which followed that narrative.

4) I would say both, once again and don't want to repeat myself too much, it depended on the particular artstyle and universe behind it.

5) No I don't and its probably going to be a while until I do, not just due to the aforementioned reasons I've elaborated on regarding my overview of the fandom from experience but also because where I live, the furry community has very little expression. I don't even have legitimate online friendships tbh, I'm basically just a lurker who posts art on his FA and Deviantart pages once in a while. Gave up the active friend searching endeavours when I realised just how futile that seemed. There aren't any outside influences to why I've became a furry.

D

Deleted member 111470

1) I've been in the fandom for 2 years officially, but I discovered it 14 years ago. Joining the fandom didn't really impact my view on furries - we are just like I imagined we'd be.
2) Plantigrade. In the universe of my sona, every anthro is plantigrade.
3) It works well in skyrim, but I don't like them in general.
4) Anthro.
5) Sadly, I don't know any furry IRL. I live in south-eastern europe, and furries are mostly unheard of here. The few people that know about furries hate them due to memes.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
1) I've been obsessed with talking and/or anthropomorphic animals for as long as I remember (exquisitely cringey family stories abound). I'm aware I'm not the only one since 2007. How these 12 years changed my view? Near the beginning of my fandom engagement I was much more prone to getting worked up about various weird stuff people would post. Now it's like, meh, whatever floats your boat...

2) Plantigrade all the way. I find these more... relatable. And more attractive. Heck, even my antelope characters have planti-hoof feet.

3) I slightly prefer pure furry settings (and if there should be humans, I like to view them as villains, lol).

4) Anthro. To be precise, the first furry artist I found was Goldenwolf, with her werewolves and tribal non-shifting wolf people.

5) Yes, met three in total (and met all of them "post-initiation"). And got to stay with one of them for good! Even as she's no longer active in the whole thing herself, she has understanding for my shenanigans with furry art, and for that I'm immensely grateful.
I have a dream of being able to attend a con, but since I live where I live, it's pretty much no can do.

Wabbajax

Jaxon-Jackal/Arixes-Særkyn
1) Since April 3rd, 2019 (6 months, 4 days). It has absolutely impacted my view of furrys. I used to think brightly colored animal mascots were creepy and stupid. Now I wish I could be one.
2) You forgot Unguligrade... but for me, it's Digitigrade all the way!
3) I think they are cool! I've got one myself if I could just find the motivation to finish writing the book...
4)Anthro.
5) Nope. But there are at least two people I wish I could meet really badly.

1) Officially joined about a year and half ago. I was familiar with it before so my view hasn't really changed.
2) I don't think I have a preference and wouldn't object to both existing in any universe.
3) I'm fine with human/furry hybrid universes but find the ones that emphasize the furries are more interesting.
4) Anthro.
5) I've met furries in real life at a meetup but didn't stay in contact with any of them so I don't know any in person now.

P

puddinsticks

This is a cute idea! Always fun to answer questions and read everyone's answers.

I'm actually pretty new to the fandom, I think? I really got into furries in 2018. Prior to that I was a casual fan of media that coincidentally featured cartoon animals.
As a kid I was super into StH and Disney animations. I put off really getting into the fandom due to the 'dark side' of it.
You can't escape the horrors when you're on the internet, it was pretty off-putting to me.

My husband and I decided 'forget all that' and went to our first furry con to get a real experience.
And you know what? We loved it. Everyone was so nice and there was so much beautiful art!
I only pay attention to the parts of the fandom I enjoy these days.

2) What kinds of legs do you prefer? Digi or planti? Why? Do you have a universe where both exist?
It depends on the character and style! I always draw my art with planti legs with weird 'paws' for feet.

Sounds like a neat idea. Getting down to figuring out furry vs. human vs. realistic animals gets too confusing for me, though.
So, I tend to not think about it at all, honestly!

Never been a big fan of feral outside of cutesy stuff. Definitely an anthro fan.
I love cute toony stuff, 80s~2000s style.

I kind of turned my husband into a furry? Does he count? He let me design a fursona for him!
Otherwise, I know no one. Talked to a few lovely people at cons, but we never swapped info.
OH! I did briefly talk to a brony at an old hobby meetup, but my husband and I stopped talking to him once he got too 'comfortable' in sharing... Images he was fond of.
We pretend that never happened!

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nyro46

Ever since a little kid I've been drawing furries more or less, but I didn't really know of the fandom until the early 2010s. I remember it started with me playing LittleBigPlanet and making animal costumes, while my brother was watching, and he started questioning why I only ever made animal costumes on the game and kinda jokingly called me a furry. At the time though, my perception of furries was skewed because I remember responding with, "No! I don't sleep with other people in animal costumes!" But later on my curiosity got the better of me and I looked up more into the fandom and realized there was more to it than just the negative stereotypes I knew, and it actually caught my interest a lot. I was sort of back and forth with whether I really wanted to be apart of the fandom for a while though . . . it wasn't until last year I finally was like, "screw it, I'm obviously some kind of furry". While I don't necessarily go around screaming that I'm a "furry" (because I'm not really one for labels) I still see myself as apart of the fandom in a way and definitely fit some definitions of what people would consider a furry.

Actually it depends on the species. Digi for animals that are normally digitigrade, and planti for animals that are normally plantigrade. For example, all my dogs and cats are digitigrade, some some animals like raccoons, mustelids, bears, etc. that are plantigrade (or at least sort of half/half) I draw as plantigrade. So, in my universes both would exist, but they depend on the species.

I don't mind them! Actually a few of the universes I have (because I have multiple where my characters exist) have humans and anthros together. In one of them they coexist, in another one anthros and humans are kind of in a war against each other. Though I do have some where humans don't really exist either.

Actually, a weird combination of anthro and feral, but I would say probably feral mostly. The first characters I had as a kid, which were based on my stuffed animals, I kinda drew as either or (so sometimes they would be walking on two feet like anthros, but other times they were on all fours). As I grew a bit older I seemed to gravitate a lot towards ferals for a while, as I started writing stories about feral dog characters a lot. I basically went through this weird cartoon feral dog phase, and my first fursona was a feral/anthro dog (similarly to my old characters, they were basically a feral but would at times walk on two legs like an anthro). But eventually around 2011 I started getting more into werewolves and then Sonic, and since then my interest has shifted a lot more to anthros instead. (Though I do still have some feral characters).

I only ever knew/know two people IRL. One was someone from high school that kinda followed me around and became really obsessed with me to the point where I needed to cut contact with them because they were interfering with my life in a negative way. They may have helped my interest in the furry fandom to some extent though. They talked about getting a fursuit at one point which at first I seemed weirded out by because I said, "oh, but that's just for furries!" but then later I kinda warmed up to the idea and even thought that I wouldn't mind having a fursuit myself. We used to draw a lot of anthro/Sonic art together (yeah, back when I still was into Sonic, though was also when I started growing out of it a bit). But now of course we don't talk to each other at all, they also kinda just had some personal problems and it was too much for me to handle any longer. They were also negative too much of the time and constantly complaining which kinda got on my nerves.
The second person I know IRL is kind of a furry/scalie, who I met at my old job. Though I wouldn't say her being one really had any effect on me as one because I was already much more into the fandom by then. Though her main sona isn't a furry, but she has some older OCs that basically were, and her current D&D character is a Kobold, which sometimes I draw, so yeah.

MosquitoBeest

Small but Mighty
A few months. I'm more on the outside of the fandom, preferring just to look at art and commission art of characters that I have. It's not like a defining trait of mine or anything (I don't call myself a "furry"). I was neutral on furries before and still neutral now. No real big life-changing experiences.

Digi for the most part unless there is an animal where planti would work better. I just base it off what the real animal looks like. I don't have my own universe?

I mean, it works for Bojack and I love that show, so!

Anthro. I followed Darknatasha on DA forever and I love her art so that's what my intro to anthro was!

I do. I have one friend whom I've known for a while and after following them on Twitter I started to see them posting art of their anthro character saying that it was a representation of them. So I started to think of what sort of animal would I choose to represent myself. I talked to them and they said a wildebeest would be totally cool and helped me find an artist to do my ref sheet.