• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Flashplayer Drop in 2020

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
Like this?

I couldn’t find the cost, but it might be a good alternative if ruffle needs a little more development time.
Yeah, I can't find anything about cost, and I'm sure there will be a cost involved. Makes me question their viability.

Just4comments

Yeah, I can't find anything about cost, and I'm sure there will be a cost involved. Makes me question their viability.
Their browser works fine on android. It actually runs flash at a decent rate and even offers custom buttons and circle pads for games (enabled after watching an ad of course). I also found in their TOS that they’re situated in California, though that doesn’t prove anything other than the fact that they operate in the US. I do find it odd that they’re not giving out the price straight out the box. Maybe you have to contact them to find the price?

...I swear I’m not hired by them to get people to support it.

zandelux

I'd be extremely wary of any proprietary "solution" for surviving Flash's death. Proprietary stuff is what got us into this mess in the first place. Stick with open source and/or open formats, or you are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.

Ruffle looks pretty sweet. Until it's fully compatible, I'd suggest people download .swf files and keep an old version of a browser they don't use around just for playing them locally. If you're really wary about security you can even do this in a virtual machine.

Like this?

I couldn’t find the cost, but it might be a good alternative if ruffle needs a little more development time.
Puffin is only for Chrome so it isn't a good alternative.

I'd suggest people download .swf files and keep an old version of a browser they don't use around just for playing them locally. If you're really wary about security you can even do this in a virtual machine.
Outdated browser is so big security risk that it's recommended to use virtual machine for that.

Last edited:

SkyreVentes

I feel like my biggest problem with the death of Flash (as far as FA is concerned) is FA's paltry limit of 10mb file upload limit. With Flash, you could squeeze quite a bit of animated content (perhaps even with sound if you so desire!) into 10mb. as for other options: you can't get sound with GIF, and even if you could, the quality drops like a rock when you resize it, plus it can quickly increase in filesize if the animation is longer than a few seconds. WEBM is nice on browsers, but not many media players seem to support it (at least, that I'm aware of), and fewer have seamless looping, which you need for those 1-second loop WEBMs... And then there's MP4... yeah, good luck with getting ANYTHING other than one of those 1-or-2-second loops uploaded within that 10mb limit...

Last edited:

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
I feel like my biggest problem with the death of Flash (as far as FA is concerned) is FA's paltry limit of 10mb file upload limit.
While we're a bit late in that regard, let's just say we're working on that limit part. =3

koval

today is the day that flash player dies, so ..
any solution? or will you just have to place an animated gif (which doesn´t generate the thumbnaill when using that format properly) along with a link to an external page that supports video / html5?

quoting_mungo

I'm wondering if the existing SWF files will be deleted, or if we can still download them after tomorrow?
FA isn’t going to up and delete the files just because Adobe threw their rattle out of the pram. They should still be there for download; it’ll just be a bit more of a song and dance to actually run them.

FA probably just put all efforts to integrate Ruffle.rs in development hell and/or on hold for right now, so it's unlikely that Ruffle.rs will be integrated anytime soon.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
Soooo Flash's still working for me. What gives? XD

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
FA probably just put all efforts to integrate Ruffle.rs in development hell and/or on hold for right now, so it's unlikely that Ruffle.rs will be integrated anytime soon.
We're currently finishing up some testing on Ruffle and will be deploying it soon.

TimTylor

I'm trying out the browser extension version of Ruffle and it seems to work fine for a lot of the animations on FA. Newgrounds has also released a free standalone swf-to-mp4 converter, Swivel, that's doing a very good job on my old animations.

CathyOak

the oldest flash file I could find on the FA is from 2005.
940 pages of art and submissions mostly lost now.
a very sad day

koval

I was testing with ruffle and I noticed that to date it doesn´t support embedded videos (flv in my case). Then only swf works if they are made in action script 2.0 and don´t contain videos.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
Outdated browser, update it asap.
Latest version of Chrome. Still works.
I also can't help but notice that people are still uploading Flash animations.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
Outdated browser, update it asap.
Ok turns out support ended on New Years but the Flash plugin basically committed suicide on the *12th* of January.
It's now failing on my end as well.

ExileFox

Sly Fox
Kongregate has switched to a prompt for something called SuperNova to run their flash content, it's pretty good too.

Mac and Linux support isn't there yet but this is at least very promising.