• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

flats to full pics. how is it done?

X

The Monster Under Your Bed
i was wondering how to give a pic that only has flat colors "depth". what are the techniques? is shading the main thing? or is there more?

Pantra

A Friendly Siberian Tiger
I am also interested in this. I know only the basics of shading, so I'll be watching for responses here too.

Sam-SRA

there's several ways you can do it. I suppose i can list the ways i do. If using photoshop, i make a new layer over the flats, and shade it all in with black, and lower the opacity. It's the simplest way. Sometimes i copy the flats layer and paint in shadows. It's tedious work, but it comes out nicer. You can find all sorts of tutorials for shading in general though. I think all artists have similar ways of doing it.

uhh, hope that helped answer your question? Lol

X

uhh, hope that helped answer your question? Lol

yes, answered it almost perfectly.

Oh and highlighting lol c: you can't have shadows without highlights. Just doesn't seem right. It's really the only ways you can add depth to flat colours; give them shape that way

highlighting as in using brighter shades of the same color? or is it something else?

(ps. thanks for replying to this thread!)

Sam-SRA

yes, answered it almost perfectly.

highlighting as in using brighter shades of the same color? or is it something else?

(ps. thanks for replying to this thread!)

yepp, the simplest way is lighter shades of the colour. The the easiest way of explaining it xD i could get complicated though.

For example, the background and lighting also has a huge effect on the shadows and highlights. Lights in your room or in a hallway give an orangey feel to your surroundings. If you take a picture of yourself outside and compare to a picture taken inside, you'll notice your skin on the one of you inside is a little more orange and yellow than normal.

Shadows also vary. Study objects and play around with lighting. I'm not an advanced artist, but this is the easiest way to figure this stuff out. Also, deviantart has incredible tutorials on this subject.

Hope that was helpful ^^

X

yepp, the simplest way is lighter shades of the colour. The the easiest way of explaining it xD i could get complicated though.

For example, the background and lighting also has a huge effect on the shadows and highlights. Lights in your room or in a hallway give an orangey feel to your surroundings. If you take a picture of yourself outside and compare to a picture taken inside, you'll notice your skin on the one of you inside is a little more orange and yellow than normal.

Shadows also vary. Study objects and play around with lighting. I'm not an advanced artist, but this is the easiest way to figure this stuff out. Also, deviantart has incredible tutorials on this subject.

Hope that was helpful ^^

yep, that was extremely helpful. thanks!

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Reading and understanding color theory will help greatly. http://www.worqx.com/color/ This is just part of the explanation but if find books on color theory especially applied to painting it will help further.

As mentioned before studying shadows and lighting conditions will help immensely. It's generally a beginner's mistake to mix colors till they look like mud, or in the digital realm, assume that a shadow and highlight are simple tints and shades of the same color.

When you're searching for more information on coloring these key terms will help:

Local Color
Hue
Value
Saturation
Compliments

X

thanks Arshes! that will definitely help later.

Last edited: