• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Foiled terrorist attack in the Toronto area

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
Al-Qaeda operatives planned to derail a busy passenger train in the Toronto area, but were stopped.
To me, despite the recent Boston attacks, it seems like the feds are getting better at stopping these before they happen. http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/22/world/americas/canada-terror-plot-thwarted/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Except it wasn't the American feds, it was Canada's RCMP. I haven't read any news yet stating there was any international cooperation in foiling the plot.

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
canada, proof that excellent headgear will stop terrorists.

AshleyAshes

Arcade Snowmew Of Doom
Except it wasn't the American feds, it was Canada's RCMP. I haven't read any news yet stating there was any international cooperation in foiling the plot.

Actually, the RCMP represents policing at the federal level of Canada. While the RCMP indeed carries out 'community policing' in many parts of Canada, it's responsibilities also include enforcement of the Canadian Criminal Code at the federal level and national security very much like the FBI and would be considered an analog to the FBI so you could very much call them 'The Feds' though in Canada this term is more often simply used to refer to the civilian government at the federal level. The RCMP also carry out deities similar to the US Secret Service for diplomatic situations.

...I feel like I should smile at a camera now and explain where you can find your local recruiter for the RCMP...

Tigercougar

Even though nothing actually happened I wonder if this incident will still cause a panic. How many people will look at this and the Boston attack and be afraid to step out of their homes, fearing there's someone plotting an attack around every corner?

Judge Spear

Actually, the RCMP represents policing at the federal level of Canada. While the RCMP indeed carries out 'community policing' in many parts of Canada, it's responsibilities also include enforcement of the Canadian Criminal Code at the federal level and national security very much like the FBI and would be considered an analog to the FBI so you could very much call them 'The Feds' though in Canada this term is more often simply used to refer to the civilian government at the federal level. The RCMP also carry out deities similar to the US Secret Service for diplomatic situations.

...I feel like I should smile at a camera now and explain where you can find your local recruiter for the RCMP...

<Insert counter correction here>

Imagine the carnage that would have ensued if it had happened unhindered. The deaths, injuries... It would have been a horrific sight. Not to mention the breakout of conspiracy theorists saying "two attacks a week apart? It must be a conspiracy!!!", or some other sort of stupid logic.

Grunnolf

Raver
here is the way i see it Canada Fed's = hardworkers .... U.S Fed's = Lazy donut eaters

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk

Smile and rattle off a recruiting website address. :V

Edit:
Imagine the carnage that would have ensued if it had happened unhindered. The deaths, injuries... It would have been a horrific sight. Not to mention the breakout of conspiracy theorists saying "two attacks a week apart? It must be a conspiracy!!!", or some other sort of stupid logic.

I wouldn't be surprised if nuts found a way to make a theory anyway.

Last edited:
Even though nothing actually happened I wonder if this incident will still cause a panic. How many people will look at this and the Boston attack and be afraid to step out of their homes, fearing there's someone plotting an attack around every corner?
The number won't be any larger than a few hundred.

Hinalle K.

Banned
Banned
Even Canada now?
What's next, Alaska? Greenland? :v

Good job, Canadians!

Aetius

It's Me Gordon, Barney from Black Mesa
Counter Terrorists win.

Ranguvar

The only international crime Canada has committed, a crime that could instigate such an act of terror, is being lame.

Golden

here is the way i see it Canada Fed's = hardworkers .... U.S Fed's = Lazy donut eaters

lol not at all. In the 1980s, they were too busy erasing evidence to investigate the Air India bombings.

With this, and the Toronto 18 case, they're just on a hot streak.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
Why bother with Canada? They're not doing anything. They're just kinda...there.

Canada is a charter member of NATO, among a handful of other things.

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
From now on, every explosion, or other form of deadly occurrence is a terrorist attack, and every man and woman who walks by me is a terrorist.

AshleyAshes

Arcade Snowmew Of Doom
Why bother with Canada? They're not doing anything. They're just kinda...there.

We certainly are an active participant in the global war on terror. Sure we didn't invade Iraq but we were involved in the Afghan invasion just about from the get go.

Here, enjoy this photo of the Canadian Military removing the Tim Hortons they put in Kandahar. For five and a half years we colonized Afghanistan with rolling up the rim to win.

afghanistan-tims.preview.jpg

DMAN14

The wettest wolf
I have to imagine the guy being interviewed/gives the press statement has to be incredibly specific in his word choice.

We certainly are an active participant in the global war on terror. Sure we didn't invade Iraq but we were involved in the Afghan invasion just about from the get go.

Here, enjoy this photo of the Canadian Military removing the Tim Hortons they put in Kandahar. For five and a half years we colonized Afghanistan with rolling up the rim to win.

So I was watching dragons den (CA version of shark tank) and someone had a product that would make it easier to roll up the rim (basically, you just swipe up). Do you roll up the cup rim and is there a code that lets you win free drinks or possibly a car? Also, out of curiosity would you buy one of the auto rollers for like a dollar?

Aetius

It's Me Gordon, Barney from Black Mesa

This should be an art gallery titled "The sunset of an empire".

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer

Grunnolf

Raver
lol not at all. In the 1980s, they were too busy erasing evidence to investigate the Air India bombings.

With this, and the Toronto 18 case, they're just on a hot streak.

Granted i dont watch much world news let alone read the news on the internet but im curious as to why i almost always hear about the us and middle east getting terrorist bombings and no other country. it also doesnt seem right to me how it was recently found after the boston incedent

(i may not have all my words straight so dont hound me over it im just looking for insite as well)

Golden

Granted i dont watch much world news let alone read the news on the internet but im curious as to why i almost always hear about the us and middle east getting terrorist bombings and no other country. it also doesnt seem right to me how it was recently found after the boston incedent

(i may not have all my words straight so dont hound me over it im just looking for insite as well)

Well, quite frankly the American media focuses only on American news mostly because Americans care only about American news. News about this foiled plot probably wouldn't have even broken on CNN if it wasn't for the Marathon Bombings.

Terrorism almost never occurs in Canada. Other frequently targeted countries outside the US and the Middle East include Russia, India, and, until recently, Sri Lanka.