• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

For those of us who still live with our parents.

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
Staff member
Administrator
I'm fairly lucky in so far as my parents don't really care what I do. When Anthrocon starts up this year, it'll be like:

Me: "Bye Mom! I'm taking a car and going to Pittsburgh for a few days!"
Mom: "Okay. Have fun. Drive safe."

But my parents are fairly unique like that. I mean, I have to give them warning that I'm planning something like that so they can adjust their schedules, but they don't put up any obstacles.

If you still live with your parents, how do you get them to let you go to [insert name of furry convention here]?

well, sadly enough, I too live at home with my dear parents...and i have every intention of going to Howloween, maybe even Rainfurest..basically how I told my parents was I started building my fursuit. My mom asked why and i said "just for fun..oh and for some conventions with people who like to do the same thing" *cute smile* its only four hours away for Howloween (six for Rainfurrest, but then I have to cross the border and drive on scary American roads where I'll be constantly staring at the speedometer trying to figure out if I'm driving the right speed and worrying about being pulled over by American cops because young adults from B.C are the more likely than average people to be pulled over so I've heard because of our...rather lenient drug laws and we're more likely to be carrying the green stuff even though I never use it myself) Anyway, basically the point I turned 19 (leagle age here ^.=.^) my parents said I could do whatever I want, since I'm an adult afterall... they're pretty cool about that.

Wow, sorry about the wall o text there...

Cavy

Hmm...I will have to show my mom the website of the convention I going to. Besides I already told her that I was planning on visiting New York City sometimes in the summer. She would say to me "just be careful".

codewolf

RBW Con Staff
i would just say...bye mom, im going somewhere for a few days, i'll ring you whhen i get there and when i'm about to leave.... seya later *walks out door*

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
Ha! I live a half-hour from Pittsburgh, and I still have to carry out an elaborate plan in order to go to even two days of AC with my mate. :/

codewolf

RBW Con Staff
Aden said:
Ha! I live a half-hour from Pittsburgh, and I still have to carry out an elaborate plan in order to go to even two days of AC with my mate. :/

damn, that sucks.... my parents really dont give a damn as long as i'm safe.

BijouxDeFoxxe

shake wut ur mama gave u
i guess i'm lucky in that my parents have always known i've been weird. I did a watercolor on my character a year or so ago, and the picture ended up on the floor. My mom picked it up, and hung it on the fridge. And i'm near enough to where the old local con was held that friends were easily able to pick me up, the one year i went.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
I house sat for my parents for over a year while they were overseas. So, I guess... technically I lived "with my parents" until about 6 months ago. Then again, I had a giant two story ranch house to my own whilst my parents were in Afghanistan and Kyrgyzstan. =P

But I don't think that counts.

DodgeAMD

Why So Serious?
When I lived with my parents, it was like being kept on a lead. They're strict Irish Catholic people (who somehow manage to be Irish and come from South Africa ... no idea) But they are so fixaed on their religion that it runs their lives and was well on its way to ruining mine.
Mass everyday. Drove me nearly to the point of madness.
And anytime i was leaving the house i'd get the third degree before and after from my step dad Did i mention he was a priest?) "where ye goin? Who ye goin with? What ye gonna be doin there?"

So naturally
As soon as i could go to university I did. Moved out of the house
gave the whole two fingered salute to the church
went off
got a boyfriend and sleep with him on a regular basis to make up for lost time

Honestly, it makes me roar with laughter
thinking what would have happened if I'd have been leaving the house one day and my step dad would ask me where I was going, who i was going with, what i would be doing there
and I'd turned round and told him that i was going to a furry convention, with my boyfriends and people from the internet and be getting up to all the furry stuff that went on (be whatever as it may)
I don;t think I'd have ever walked again let alone made it to the convention

But now I'm shacked up with my man
My parents are none the bloody wiser cause i'm in another country entirely
and all is well with the world

Just waiting for the next decent furry convention to come by Manchester :p

Vgm22

Furry/Scalie Of Mystery
I live with my sister's family and now my mom just came to live with us, so when I finally am able to go to a con. I'm just going to tell them that I'm going to one and all they'll say is be safe, but I tend to tell them that I am a furry and gay before then, just in case I find a mate when I go to one as I wouldn't want to surpise them with that, if I didn't tell them that I was gay and a furry before.

DodgeAMD

Why So Serious?
codewolf said:
Adammaxdavies said:
Just waiting for the next decent furry convention to come by Manchester :p
confuzzled :)
Will look into it
Have issues with going out to events n stuff cause of ... my situation
but will do ma best to be there in some form or another
might try to get me a fursuit :p

EDIT: Well, I thought it would be a problem, but I told my parents about the upcoming con, which is perfect since it seems to be close to where I live and falls on a date where I have nothing else to do, and they said it sounds cool! So yeah, I was all paranoid over nothing. :p I even wore my conbadge around the house, just for fun.

Calypte

gryphon extrodinaire
"worrying about being pulled over by American cops because young adults from B.C are the more likely than average people to be pulled over"

Just don't speed through Everett. Everett cops like to put people over no matter WHAT they're doing.

Police like to pull over non-locals not because of Canada's drug leniency, but more because they know that since they're out of town that they won't want to go to court to fight a ticket. But seriously, in most places you'd probably be having to be going at LEAST 10 mph over the speed limit to get caught, and most of I-5 till you hit Everett is 70 MPH anyway so you won't NEED to speed.

Growly

Hehe... my parents have been going to gaming cons since before I was born. Me going to cons myself is nooo problem. :D
I love my geeky family.

Cavy

I told my mom that I was going to FA: United and she was okay with it. I told her that I would be careful and stuff though. :)

Mitch

i would go to a con, but i cant really. there are none that i know of near me (Edinburgh) and i havent told my parents that im bi or a furry yet, because if they dont like it, i dont want to have to live with that for the next couple of years, so i'll tell when i move out. but until then, only my closest frinds will know.

Summercat

Former Motterator
Am I like the only fur that hides NOTHING from his family?

My mom knows I'm a bisexual furry. Hellfire, she was the second person to find out about both (After me.)

Yeah, I live at home - but I pay rent, my mom does not open my door when it is closed, she doesn't go through my stuff, she gets upset when I don't call when I'm gone but I tell her that's what the cell phone is for, if you're worried, call! I say it in bold becuase I half-yell it in exhasperation. She has to pause and agree with me on that one =P

So long as I let her know I'm going to be out of town, she doesn't worry. Her only objection is over money lost by not working, and if I've all this extra money to spend shouldn't I be saving it or giving it to her for house-stuff? *chuckles*

What can I say? I mean, she's not going to kick me out, the worst personal habits I've got are dealable (I'm an asshole, and a slob), and my friends are all law-abiding (She doesn't count against filesharing) non-drug or alchohal using/abusing, very decent people.

She also knows I have more sense than in our coin jars, and won't do anything stupid.

...it also helps that I work full time, ask her for no money, pay all my bills and expenses, and am 21, I think =D

mine went like this
"hey mom I'm going to a fur con in pitsburgh and I'm takign X and Z with me"
"ok, take the credit card in case of emergency and take 270 around Columbus"

It helps when your immediate family knows yoru a fur then you don't have to leave out any information, cept the bisexual furry part I'm not saying anythign about that to my family for a bit. Least hopefully, unless they find my hoard of, ermhrm, gideon art

Kobaruto

I'm turning 20 next month. I attended Anthrocon this past July and FA:U this past month. Why was I able to go without my mother's conservative ways holding me back? Simply because I'm an adult now, what else can she do? If I'm not driving, she can't do anything about it; she can only hope I stay safe and trust my judgement. Drove to AC with friends, and even drove to FA:U with someone I had never met before, and each time she had her quams about it.. but it all worked out for the best.

J

jayhusky

I still live with my parents and it's like the spanish inquisition every time i mention a fur meet, looks like the soonest i'm gonna be able to get to a fur meet outside the UK is about March 2009!! That long *-* *Cries*

Pupptemaster

HI I am new here and was pacing the forums and saw this. I know this is kind old thread and hadn't had a new post in a time. But I am as you say a n00b and just told everbody who and what I am 9Exept my dad. He would turn me into a rug) BUt I wish I could go to one of these convitions that I hear about all the time. I was wonderring if anyone can tell me
1) what there like
2) How in the world could I get to one
3) Would I have to dress up? I mean I belive I am a wolf but I feel as if there is a reson I was put in this body I have now.(As sucky as it may be) I guess I also think Its going a little far to dress up but I am sure I would if I could(Man I am a hypocrit)
5) Well I ran out of things to think of-__-
So please get back tp me ASAP if you don't mind^.^

Xipoid

Cameras
Pupptemaster said:
1) what there like
2) How in the world could I get to one
3) Would I have to dress up? I mean I belive I am a wolf but I feel as if there is a reson I was put in this body I have now.(As sucky as it may be) I guess I also think Its going a little far to dress up but I am sure I would if I could(Man I am a hypocrit)
5) Well I ran out of things to think of-__-
So please get back tp me ASAP if you don't mind^.^

1) Like any typical convention except the focus is furry. It's hard to explain this exactly. It's best if you experience this yourself.

2) Plane, Train, or Automobile

3) No

Here's a list of active conventions for you