• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Force Reset of Passwords?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SushiNomster

So looks like FA is going to be forcing PW reset.... Well there goes my accounts, I used old emails I can no longer get into now. :"D

I'm sure I won't be the only one with this same issues. So there goes a flood of lost accounts once the site is out of Read-Only.

Any word on what will happen once the passwords are forced to change and you can't get back on? I'm not even sure if I remember what emails I used with what accounts because I have never had to do a reset since I remembered my passwords to my accounts.

ZX6R

They're setting up an email for people like you. Just wait and they'll announce it and you can go get it figured out.

Keiava

So looks like FA is going to be forcing PW reset.... Well there goes my accounts, I used old emails I can no longer get into now. :"D

I'm sure I won't be the only one with this same issues. So there goes a flood of lost accounts once the site is out of Read-Only.

Any word on what will happen once the passwords are forced to change and you can't get back on? I'm not even sure if I remember what emails I used with what accounts because I have never had to do a reset since I remembered my passwords to my accounts.
Sushi!!! :D

On a complete other note, I'm with you on this XD totally don't remember if I ever changed my email

Elohiim_Koshiiri

Terradorable

First off....... Your avatar is cute as shit. Just saying xD

Second! you can actually e-mail the admins and explain your situation. They can actually update your email.

Elohiim_Koshiiri

Terradorable

On a complete other note, I'm with you on this XD totally don't remember if I ever changed my email

Mygodwhatiswiththeseadorableavatarswhatisthisidonteven

SushiNomster

First off....... Your avatar is cute as shit. Just saying xD

Second! you can actually e-mail the admins and explain your situation. They can actually update your email.
Yea I just don't want to have to make a shit ton of emails to update to because I have old accounts I like to keep up as archives for past purchases/Notes on file. @o@

Also thank you~

SushiNomster

Om nom nom~ :3

Yea I feel a ton of people are going to lose their accounts now. Like at least give the option to reset, then if people don't reset it's on them.

Elohiim_Koshiiri

Terradorable
Yea I just don't want to have to make a shit ton of emails to update to because I have old accounts I like to keep up as archives for past purchases/Notes on file. @o@

Also thank you~

Make another fake email then, just remember to write it and the PW down :cool:

Also if I may ask hun! whats your FA? I 'd love to see your work ^^

SushiNomster

I'm the same on main FA, SushiNomster
My thing is how will they know I'm the owner to the accounts? I mean then anyone can just claim that account is theirs, you know?

Keiava

Om nom nom~ :3

Yea I feel a ton of people are going to lose their accounts now. Like at least give the option to reset, then if people don't reset it's on them.
*Gasp* haha those tongues thoougghh

Like I made my account years ago, but only recently became active. I know I changed a lot of info, just idk about the email XD
I don't wanna lose all the people I'm watching (not to mention waiting on coms)

Elohiim_Koshiiri

Terradorable
She is SushiNomster, she's a cute Japanese Bobtail with secrets :D

Kei whats yours too? I wanna watch you both when it comes back online. I like your art already hehe

Also Sushi, I am sure they have ways ^^

TheKC

Fuzzy drawing dragon!
I'm the same on main FA, SushiNomster
My thing is how will they know I'm the owner to the accounts? I mean then anyone can just claim that account is theirs, you know?
Maybe you can talk about some of the recent PMs you got as proof. That would be something no one had seen.

I'll have to look up your account when the site is back up, your avatar is cute. X3

SushiNomster

*Gasp* haha those tongues thoougghh

Like I made my account years ago, but only recently became active. I know I changed a lot of info, just idk about the email XD
I don't wanna lose all the people I'm watching (not to mention waiting on coms)
That's what I'm saying too! I mean some people I know have been on FA for a loooooooong time and used school emails to signup. Once you graduate, you no longer have access to those email accounts after usually 6 months.

Yesh all teh tongues X3

Keiava

That's what I'm saying too! I mean some people I know have been on FA for a loooooooong time and used school emails to signup. Once you graduate, you no longer have access to those email accounts after usually 6 months.

Yesh all teh tongues X3
If it's anything I remember about Sushi is tongues, tentacles, and a blue butt star xD

I still have access to my college email, but I created it with something else I believe.... IDK

SushiNomster

Maybe you can talk about some of the recent PMs you got as proof. That would be something no one had seen.

I'll have to look up your account when the site is back up, your avatar is cute. X3
@o@ I'm not even sure what my last notes were on them. I mean I remember the current (soon to be old after the force reset) password so hopefully they can go by that.

teaparties on FA made it for me >w<

Smuzzle

Grape Smoothie
@o@ I'm not even sure what my last notes were on them. I mean I remember the current (soon to be old after the force reset) password so hopefully they can go by that.

teaparties on FA made it for me >w<

I would think they would have it where you just confirm your current login information and then you can verify your email/update it and reset your password or something similar. :)

quoting_mungo

We understand why you feel this way, but unfortunately, this isn't possible. Passwords have to be reset because tech is changing how passwords are encrypted/stored in the database.

Let's say (obviously this isn't the case, but it's easier to illustrate things this way) that passwords were encrypted in the database by taking the next letter in the alphabet. So if your password was "PASSWORD", it'd be stored as "QBTTXPSE" in the database. Well, obviously this isn't very secure, so changing to a less obvious encryption algorithm, we're instead shifting to (again, stressing that these are in no way how passwords are encrypted in the actual database!) using the next key on the right of the actual key used. So "PASSWORD" instead gets stored as "ÅSDDEPTF" (if you're basing it off a Swedish keyboard, which I am, because that's what I'm typing on).

When you're logging in, the site doesn't actually check if your password matches what's in the database, it runs what you wrote in the password field through the encryption algorithm and checks THAT against what's int he database. So if your password isn't reset, you'll type in "PASSWORD", and the server will turn that into "ÅSDDEPTF" and see that that's not the same as "QBTTXPSE", so it'll tell you "wrong password" even though from your end, what you put in is the exact same password you've been using all along.

Computers are kind of stupid that way, I'm afraid. So yeah, no way to avoid resetting all passwords. We'll be posting instructions for reclaiming accounts when we get to that point, not to worry. (Though this should serve as a reminder to ALWAYS make sure your contact info is up to date on your online accounts! You never know when you might need it!) And never use "password" as your password for anything but illustration/demonstration purposes. ;)

HypnoticBella

They're setting up an email for people like you. Just wait and they'll announce it and you can go get it figured out.

Wait so are they setting up something for people that don't remember the email I used when signing up on FA? O:
Because that is my problem I can't remember what email I used for my account..
And I really don't want to lose my account. :/

Elohiim_Koshiiri

Terradorable
I'm having the same issue with I can't remember what email I used when signing up on FA :/
I emailed accounts@furaffinity.net haven't heard anything back..
I hope I didn't lose my account forever.

I am helping people with the same issues atm, the admins are insanely overworked atm most likely

HypnoticBella

I am helping people with the same issues atm, the admins are insanely overworked atm most likely

I kinda figured they are, and that is so kind of you to be helping people with this issue.
Do you believe the whole forgotten email is fixable in retrieving back our accounts? Just wondering

Status
Not open for further replies.