• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Foreign Words for Emotions?

Wabbajax

Jaxon-Jackal/Arixes-Særkyn
Hey all, I've got a rather odd question/request. I was recently reading an article on mental health in a Psychology magazine that suggested broadening one's vocabulary with words outside of one's natural language could help ease mental distress.

So I am curious. If English is not your first language or if you know another language besides English, are there any words you know to describe specific emotional states that do not have a direct translation to English?

If so, please leave the word and a brief description of the sensation/emotion the word describes.

ConorHyena

nazi hunter
I'm going to start with leaving the classic non-english emotion describer here that even made it into english.

"Schadenfreude"

it's german, and rough translation would be happiness at someone elses misfortune.

Germans do it all the time.

Guifrog

Blue Frog
That feeling when you miss someone or something after a long period of time is called "saudade" in Portuguese. I heard the term "homesickness" can be a close equivalent, although that seems more specific for being away from home.

ConorHyena

nazi hunter
That feeling when you miss someone or something after a long period of time is called "saudade" in Portuguese. I heard the term "homesickness" can be a close equivalent, although that seems more specific for being away from home.

Coming to that, I can draw an arc to another germanic word without a proper english equivalent. There's a variant of "saudade" that's peculiar to the Cape Verde Island, "sodade" which means "Weltschmerz", which is an emotional state where one feels melancholic and world-weary.

enotaca

物の哀れ (mono no aware, japanese) . The gentle melancholy that you feel when you realize the things around you are impermanent. The passing sorrow when you realize things will always end and yet, you still accept it as so. closely related to "wabi-sabi" (侘寂) which is basically finding beauty in imperfection and impermanence.

There are so many words to describe love in chinese but i think one that stands out to me would be this one: 心疼 (xin teng, chinese) literally means heartache but it's really describing the feel of loving something so dearly that it may hurt you and cause you heartache.

Last edited:

dragon-in-sight

mane diva
Weltschmerz - This word discribes a feeling of melancholy towards the state of the World. It's like feeling the pain and sadness of the whole existence as it was our own. In the english culture it's similar to the feeling of the doomer meme. But without the nihilism implied through it.

Schadenfreude - The deeply immoral but highly satisfying feeling you get from seeing someone getting his butt kicked by Karma.

Fremdscham - The feeling you get when you see someone do something deeply embarrassing and feel so ashemed as if it was you who embarrassed yourself.

Kodderig - A feeling of vague physical unease that can't be traced to a certain cause or reason.

Lampenfieber - A feeling of anxiety you get when you have to do something for the first time with other people watching you.

Fehrnweh - The urge to travle and see different places.

Schusselig - The feelig you get when you remember that you have forgotten something but can't remember what you just forgot.

Brastig - A state of boiling anger that's expressed in a passive agressive way.

Verknüstert - A feeling of resignation when you are deeply disconent with a situation or outcome but have to accept that you can't do something about it.

Last edited: