• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Important: Forum Dark Theme! Feedback & Usage

luffy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, everyone!

I recently had a generic dark theme installed onto the forum, and I spent some hours customizing it today to make it similar to the "Slate" layout on the main site.

I've just enabled it for regular members so that you can both a) start using it, and b) help me find things I missed. There are some colors that I did not change in the ACP, but I've scoured the forums and can't find where they may be.

Please keep an eye out for stray colors and report them in a reply to this thread. I would also like some feedback on the current colors; if there are buttons, links, or other text or areas that are hard to see or hurt your eyes, please post here and I will do a cross-monitor check to see if they can't find a better middle ground. Note that we will not be changing the general theme and color scheme of the template, but will be improving on things like contrast for quality of life.

Also note: when I *do* get to changing some of the colors, I turn them bright red so they stick out and I can tell what I'm changing (the things aren't labeled in the ACP D:<). If you see bright red, don't worry, it's getting changed.

To change your theme, go here: https://forums.furaffinity.net/account/preferences

Thanks!

Last edited:

RyuokoWolf

Your Cantaloupine
For me, the notification color is a little too saturated of a yellow and it's hard to tell the difference between unread threads and threads I have read.

Punji

Vaskebjørn
I can't help but notice quite a lot changes along with the darker colours.

It's quite difficult to tell when a thread is unread or not as well.

luffy

Administrator
Staff member
For me, the notification color is a little too saturated of a yellow and it's hard to tell the difference between unread threads and threads I have read.
I'll take a look!
I can't help but notice quite a lot changes along with the darker colours.

It's quite difficult to tell when a thread is unread or not as well.
Yeah, apparently a lot of functionality is in themes. We'll just have to get used to it. I'll take a look at the unread/read thing, but what makes it hard?

RyuokoWolf

Your Cantaloupine
I'll take a look at the unread/read thing, but what makes it hard?
Screenshot_20201113-010632_Chrome.jpg

Here's a screenshot :)

For me the bold just isn't bold enough and due to the contrast it blends together

Punji

Vaskebjørn
I'll take a look!

Yeah, apparently a lot of functionality is in themes. We'll just have to get used to it. I'll take a look at the unread/read thing, but what makes it hard?
As Ryuoko said above, the only contrast is the bolding but it's still white on black text, so it takes a second to really tell.

luffy

Administrator
Staff member
I changed the weight of the text so that the bold is bolder and the normal is more normal.

Buuut I need someone to reply to this so I can get a notification to test the notification colors << >>

Yakamaru

Autumn wolf
*boops*
Testing, testing.

Having an optional black theme is useful, especially if you are on a phone. Saves battery. :)

Yakamaru

Autumn wolf
Oh, and I noticed changing to the new theme disabled stuff like the emojis thingy when writing a reply.

~Edit~
Nevermind. Seems they are under the collapsed dots.

luffy

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, and I noticed changing to the new theme disabled stuff like the emojis thingy when writing a reply.

~Edit~
Nevermind. Seems they are under the collapsed dots.
Mine looks like this!
1605265349771.png

Also lol I'm dumb and cleared my notifications cansomeonereplytothisagainplease.

Balskarr

The Lurking Hooman
There you go.

Good work done on this. I'm assuming you've adjusted the text already as I'm not struggling to differentiate between read and unread.

D

Deleted member 82554

This
Screenshot_20201114_003944_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.beta.jpg

Vs this
Screenshot_20201114_004022_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.beta.jpg

I dunno I think the second one is better.

D

Deleted member 82554

I'm saying that a good theme doesn't have to feel like it is in your face. Sometimes a more subtle, uniform approach is best.

I mean I like it, just not as much as the other two.

D

Deleted member 82554

Now that I think about it, the dark theme combined with dark reader makes it feel of bit more muted. I actually kinda like that too.

luffy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm saying that a good theme doesn't have to feel like it is in your face. Sometimes a more subtle, uniform approach is best.

I mean I like it, just not as much as the other two.
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult or dense, but where are you getting the other "two" from? Browser night mode/light theme or somethin?

Ope I see your second post now

Chomby

It's Spooky Month!
I love it but would like it if the yellow was less saturated. The contrast hurts my eyes.

Guifrog

Spongefrog Bluepants
I do agree that the admin badge and prefix could be darkened. Maybe something like the #d29d1e from the reply button, to keep a standard as well? Or the burger's suggestion.

One thing that bothers me a lil' is this:

Members.png

It is already plain #fff white, and also bold, forming a block. The effect may be deepened when the list of online members gets bigger. But apparently the style's connected to thread titles as well. If there's no way of making them separate CSS lines of code (though I'm assuming an isolated class "username" would suffice), I'd suggest maybe making it less bright

luffy

Administrator
Staff member
I love it but would like it if the yellow was less saturated. The contrast hurts my eyes.
Is this better? I darkened it quite a bit.
It is already plain #fff white, and also bold, forming a block. The effect may be deepened when the list of online members gets bigger. But apparently the style's connected to thread titles as well. If there's no way of making them separate CSS lines of code (though I'm assuming an isolated class "username" would suffice), I'd suggest maybe making it less bright
It wasn't supposed to be pure white. Fixed.

Arishipshape

TFed Ex-Knight
I like it, except that it changes the fonts and makes my name in the top right corner all caps. I’m on an iPad, if that helps. Is there any way to have the light mode font in the dark mode?

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
Woah! Thank you so much! AThis theme is awesome and not only does it *look* good, but it actually makes the UI look a lot more modern and good to me. I like that threads actually take up the whole widescreen instead of having lots of space on the left and right sides of the screen.

This looks really nice! Websites looking like they were built for phones is the bane of my existence, so this is a real treat.