• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Found a video of a guy claiming that furries are "the scum of the earth", is open for debate

M

Massan Otter

I had the misfortune of sharing a flat with some rugby and football guys for a year while I was studying. Some of the things they got up to would be regarded as fairly serious sexual assaults in any other part of society, but hey, it's just banter between lads, right?

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I had the misfortune of sharing a flat with some rugby and football guys for a year while I was studying. Some of the things they got up to would be regarded as fairly serious sexual assaults in any other part of society, but hey, it's just banter between lads, right?

My University started automatically enrolling the sports teams players into sexual consent workshops, so perhaps this sort of behaviour will go the way of the dodo.

Z

ZeroVoidTime

My University started automatically enrolling the sports teams players into sexual consent workshops, so perhaps this sort of behaviour will go the way of the dodo.
Or on a more cynical note just go to a different university in order avoid taking those workshops...... :S (Unless the university you go to is a prestigious one than it might actually work.)

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Or on a more cynical note just go to a different university in order avoid taking those workshops...... :S (Unless the university you go to is a prestigious one than it might actually work.)

Yes.

But I think most universities do this now, so they can't avoid them. Mwahahaha

Bitterfangs

The best thing to do is not engage. Someone with an inflammatory approach is not looking for debate, he's looking for attention. If you decide to "retaliate" to defend the fandom, you're just making it worse.

For every essay long comment someone writes in defense of the fandom, there are 20 different bits of something obscene/fetishy/obnoxious that someone else can whip up to back their argument. It's really not worth the fight. People looking for problems with the fandom will find them, because we're... you know, flawed humans with no governing body of rules that can dictate conduct. You can do the same thing with anime. There's a lot of wholesome, and a lot of lewd, and a lot of sketchy shit. Coming to the defense of it is pointless. Just live your life and be nice to people. If you want to help the image of the fandom that desperate, be a public-facing furry persona that's kind, caring, and supportive. Ragespamming helps in zero ways.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
The main difference between the Fandom and other fandoms is that Furries are more open and accepting of other lifestyles. If you take any group and completely expose their likes, dislikes, and fetishes, you will find that they are not that different from
Furries. Furries are also an easy target as we have no "centralized" ruling body, so to speak. I help run Fangcon, which starts next week in Birmingham, Alabama. I remember one year, I was talking to the hotel security guard. He complimented me on how good a group the Furries were. I asked him what group that had been at the hotel was the worst. He told me that Hairdressers were the worst. All they did all weekend, he said, was get drunk and hook up. As someone who runs a con, I hear a lot about what happens at other cons. Yes, there are incidents, with the majority of them involving drinking, but from what I know, the really bad stuff is, by far, the exception rather than the rule.

I bet you're just angry at hairdressers after that night ya got drunk, and woke up with a Barbara Streisand Perm :p

But that is a great story : )

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
I bet you're just angry at hairdressers after that night ya got drunk, and woke up with a Barbara Streisand Perm :p

But that is a great story : )

I loathe Barbara Streisand. Her initials have a "special" meaning to me. All I know is ever since Fangcon that year, I have been searching for Hairdresser conventions. ;):cool:

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
The best thing to do is not engage. Someone with an inflammatory approach is not looking for debate, he's looking for attention. If you decide to "retaliate" to defend the fandom, you're just making it worse.

For every essay long comment someone writes in defense of the fandom, there are 20 different bits of something obscene/fetishy/obnoxious that someone else can whip up to back their argument. It's really not worth the fight. People looking for problems with the fandom will find them, because we're... you know, flawed humans with no governing body of rules that can dictate conduct. You can do the same thing with anime. There's a lot of wholesome, and a lot of lewd, and a lot of sketchy shit. Coming to the defense of it is pointless. Just live your life and be nice to people. If you want to help the image of the fandom that desperate, be a public-facing furry persona that's kind, caring, and supportive. Ragespamming helps in zero ways.

So just let everyone assume we're scum is that your strategy? Just let everyone assume we really are this sex fetish fueled group of people and don't do anything to set the record straight. It's this type of moral that cements us to that kind of infamy. It's clear you have no f****** a clue what people, including myself, have to go through on a regular basis because of idiots who assume that kind of shet about the furry fandom.

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
So just let everyone assume we're scum is that your strategy? Just let everyone assume we really are this sex fetish fueled group of people and don't do anything to set the record straight. It's this type of moral that cements us to that kind of infamy. It's clear you have no f****** a clue what people, including myself, have to go through on a regular basis because of idiots who assume that kind of shet about the furry fandom.
He is not interested in being engaged and is not interested in a conversation. He wants people to react because he is attention seeking, and you are giving him exactly what he wants.

Why can't you fathom this very basic concept?

Baalf

He is not interested in being engaged and is not interested in a conversation. He wants people to react because he is attention seeking, and you are giving him exactly what he wants.

Why can't you fathom this very basic concept?

Because I am sick of this whole bullies get to do whatever they want and furries have to succumb to their bulshit logic. One of the big reasons that bullying is so bad is because no one is willing to take action. No one is willing to stand up to their b*******. Instead, we are told to just let them do whatever the f*** they want and let them get away with every awful thing. Frankly, I am sick of this.

Rayd

profound asshole
Because I am sick of this whole bullies get to do whatever they want and furries have to succumb to their bulshit logic.
do understand that you can't "show him what for" by doing exactly what he wants you to do. i just don't get how you think this will do anything for you. this is the internet my dude. you're not getting anything out of yelling at people who obviously don't care a fraction as much as you do over a screen.

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
Because I am sick of this whole bullies get to do whatever they want and furries have to succumb to their bulshit logic. One of the big reasons that bullying is so bad is because no one is willing to take action. No one is willing to stand up to their b*******. Instead, we are told to just let them do whatever the f*** they want and let them get away with every awful thing. Frankly, I am sick of this.
What do you want to do to/with them? Engage in a shouting match? Over the fucking internet?

If so, enjoy. Enjoy being the only one who take the words of someone whose intentions are to rile you up in the first place seriously.

I will simply grab my room-sized popcorn bag as you are feeding them exactly what they want.

Baalf

do understand that you can't "show him what for" by doing exactly what he wants you to do. i just don't get how you think this will do anything for you. this is the internet my dude. you're not getting anything out of yelling at people who obviously don't care a fraction as much as you do over a screen.

You can always get that person band if what they are doing is seen as a big enough problem. And if you ignore them, they win because they have just gotten away with being an a****** without getting any sort of punishment for it. People love to act like not reacting is their punishment, but it's not a punishment, it's a reward.

Rayd

profound asshole
You can always get that person band if what they are doing is seen as a big enough problem. And if you ignore them, they win because they have just gotten away with being an a****** without getting any sort of punishment for it. People love to act like not reacting is their punishment, but it's not a punishment, it's a reward.
alright dude. you have fun being an internet hero then. i just hope you know the more people like you react, the more people will find it funny and will want to do it again.

Baalf

What do you want to do to/with them? Engage in a shouting match? Over the fucking internet?

If so, enjoy. Enjoy being the only one who take the words of someone whose intentions are to rile you up in the first place seriously.

I will simply grab my room-sized popcorn bag as you are feeding them exactly what they want.

SHUT THE **** UP!

You basically you want bullying to happen. It's wrong for bullies to learn anything, but victims "have to grow a thicker skin." Basically, Society has grown to allow bullying, to kiss their f****** ass, and I am done! Well f*** it, I am never going to succumb to bullying. I am never going to start ignoring and kissing their ass, cuz if I do that, then bullies never learn.

I

Infrarednexus

SHUT THE **** UP!

You basically you want bullying to happen. It's wrong for bullies to learn anything, but victims "have to grow a thicker skin." Basically, Society has grown to allow bullying, to kiss their f****** ass, and I am done! Well f*** it, I am never going to succumb to bullying. I am never going to start ignoring and kissing their ass, cuz if I do that, then bullies never learn.
Just because they are saying to not get into a fight over the internet does not mean they are condoning bullying. No one here is supporting bullying others around. I hate bullies too. I've been bullied before and I know it sucks, but I still agree with the Yakamaru and Aprilycan.

You need to calm down dude.

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
SHUT THE **** UP!

It's called basic attention seeking behaviour, and is related to the basics of antagonistic human psychology. No matter what you do or say to these people they will continue doing what they are doing.

You're not a child and I have no intention of treating you like one.

These people are being intentionally antagonistic and/or trolling in nature, and you are taking their easily-recognized bait.

Oh, and for the record: No, I am not for people to get bullied. I was bullied for 13 years, so I have first-hand experience with bullying. But you know what? I don't take the crap people over the internet say seriously. Especially not when you can almost taste the antagonistic nature of it in the air.

Nihles

Pet foxxo
Isn't bullying/trolling for attention the sort of behavior that's highly context sensitive? Depending on the individual and situation, it might be better to call out bad behavior, mock them, or ignore them. No one tactic is going to be appropriate every time.

Arguing over the best action to take in vague hypothetical situations seems unproductive, imo.

Also, if furries are the scum of the Earth, then...

SSJ3Mewtwo

SHUT THE **** UP!

Chill out, or I will remove you from the thread. If you disagree with someone, fine. But don't try to turn the thread into a shouting match.

If you feel you are getting too riled up, take some time away from the thread.

SHUT THE **** UP!

I don't think anyone here condones bullying. The guy who made the video just wants you to get riled up like this so he can point to everyone and say, "See! This proves my point!", all the while growing an audience. The best way to deal with Internet trolls is not to feed them but if you feel the need to engage, then I suggest calmly refuting the arguments and stay polite and civilized so THEY look like the crazy ones.

I've been around message boards for a long time and I've moderated some infamously contentious ones. I see this kind of thing all the time.

Faexie

Rara for short :)
I don't remember who said it, but someone on this forum gave a really good advice on how to deal with bullying.

Basically bullies want to show superiority over you. They can do that in many ways, such as scaring you into doing things for them, make fun of things you're ashamed of, or, in this particular case, taunt you to make you retaliate, so they can twist the story around to make you into the bad guy, but it's always to show dominance. Also creating drama is an easy way to get views on youtube.

Basically you have to show the bully that his tactics is not making you feel inferior. Implying that their actions actually makes them inferior is the cherry on the cake. For example if a bully threatens to hit you, you can say something like "yeah, I could tell you're the type of person who gets their way with violence... I guess that's all you can do uh?" in a disgusted tone. Another option would be to laugh it off as if what they said was silly.

In some cases, ignoring won't work because it can be considered a submissive behavior. It can be a good strategy in some cases, but if it doesn't work something else has to be done, the right thing to do depends on what the bully wants though. Retaliation is not often the right answer.

Also if you go debate with him he can try to drive the conversation towards what he wants, so I wouldn't recommend taking on his offer unless you know all the tactics he might use and how to deflect them. Also it would have to be live so he can't edit your words.

A response video would be easier but it would give him views, so I would only recommend it if he had a bigger channel (so you would be the one getting views thanks to him!)

Honestly I don't see the point of arguing with him since he has only 3 subs. If you want to let people know that furries are not as bad as people think I would suggest making/sharing content doing just that, instead of giving him attention by addressing him directly (or even mentionning his name).

Society is already starting to see furries a lot less negatively than it used to though, so I don't see this guy as a threat.

Last edited:

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
*Stares at the camera like its The Office.*