• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Found a video of a guy claiming that furries are "the scum of the earth", is open for debate

P

Purple Jackal

I don't think anyone here condones bullying. The guy who made the video just wants you to get riled up like this so he can point to everyone and say, "See! This proves my point!", all the while growing an audience. The best way to deal with Internet trolls is not to feed them but if you feel the need to engage, then I suggest calmly refuting the arguments and stay polite and civilized so THEY look like the crazy ones.

I've been around message boards for a long time and I've moderated some infamously contentious ones. I see this kind of thing all the time.

Yeah there no point with arguing those online types. Who have no idea that there views are either wrong or downright stupid, Have no room for any change. Most forums were horrid for that, They would just ban you if called out there views on furries or just resort to insults with no maturity.

I

Infrarednexus

Well I’m only just now finding out about Kero. Fuck. Oh dude Corey is gonna have a fucking field day with this one.
And Kothorix was spot on about everything.
Eugh.... at least y’all are cool :)

A lot of people here actually disagree with Kothorix's video. Some say he is just whining while others say he is taking one personal experience and making a blanket statement. I personally thought he made some good points, but the way he presented it was a bit dramatic and it seemed to me like he was exaggerating to get our attention.

Corey on the other hand is a good guy in my books. He makes excellent videos that sadly don't get much attention. I consider myself a loyal fan of his. He's friends with some of the most popular furries in our fandom and get's along great with guests in his videos. I especially love that he bought a dog and let the people on his video stream help find a good name for her. His GTA V videos are also the crown jewel of his channel in my opinion.

Kero is different from the other two. As much as I want to believe the evidence is made up, it clearly isn't. I can't describe with words how awful the things he did were. What's worse is that he was sort of an ambassador of furries before all the evidence of his actions. He went on another popular Youtubers video to show that furries are just regular and alright folks, and then.....all his texts and photos came out later. Just when you think it get's better for us furries, it gets so much worse.

Looking at the people here on the forum, I agree with you completely. Y'all are pretty cool.

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
Well I’m only just now finding out about Kero. Fuck. Oh dude Corey is gonna have a fucking field day with this one.

No he absolutely was not. He's just another person who exists to make our lives miserable.

Baalf

Hmmm, no...
I'd say Kothorix was pretty spot on about the situation, yes.

So that makes it right to bully people out of an interest just because you would seem to think he made a point? Do you have any idea why I absolutely despise these stereotypes? Whether you want to believe it or not, these stereotypes greatly affect innocent people's lives, and the only way these people can be accepted is to succumb and give up their interests in all the things they've grown attached to. So if we are going to say this guy made a point, we might as well just tell any random furry to draw nothing but humans or commit suicide.

TheArchiver

Ace Documenter
So that makes it right to bully people out of an interest just because you would seem to think he made a point? Do you have any idea why I absolutely despise these stereotypes? Whether you want to believe it or not, these stereotypes greatly affect innocent people's lives, and the only way these people can be accepted is to succumb and give up their interests in all the things they've grown attached to. So if we are going to say this guy made a point, we might as well just tell any random furry to draw nothing but humans or commit suicide.

So much conjecture. So much projection.
Not to mention confusion, my goodness.

Baalf

So much conjecture. So much projection.
Not to mention confusion, my goodness.

Honestly, the only one who is confused is you.

Before anyone says ignore the stereotypes oh, it's not that easy. As the stereotypes grow, the people who believe them also grow, which in turn makes it harder and harder for the innocent furries to make any friends with people. That's why a lot of furies, regardless of how hard they try, have a hard time befriending people who are non furry thanks to these stereotypes.

TheArchiver

Ace Documenter
No he absolutely was not. He's just another person who exists to make our lives miserable.
Hmmm, no...
I'd say Kothorix was pretty spot on about the situation, yes.
So that makes it right to bully people out of an interest just because you would seem to think he made a point?.

Perhaps I am. Be a dear and point out when Kothorix claimed to be in favor of bullying furries. I'm having a bit of trouble identifying it from these sparse comments. Perhaps I missed something. But you seem to have pinpointed it so swiftly!

(Pardon the ping, Vile)

quoting_mungo

@BennyJackdaw Calm down. While I understand it can be hurtful to have negative stereotypes applied to you or groups you belong to, it's not nearly so doom-and-gloom-y as you seem to think. Being furry is certainly not the reason I don't have many friends; having massive social anxiety is. The best way to make friends is to find people you share interests with, whatever those interests may be. Presumably you have some kind of interests outside of just "being furry." If you're into trains, talk about trains with other people who like trains. If you like drawing, talk about drawing with other people who draw. Some of them you may click with and start hanging out with more, and your conversations will at that point start moving outside those shared interests.

The big difference between bullies and trolls is that bullies push you down to lift themselves up, while trolls are more like kids poking a bear in a cage with a stick and laughing when it gets angry. Standing up for yourself can work with bullies, but going on the counterattack isn't going to do much to discourage trolls - your reaction is where they derive their entertainment. Most people who make sensationalist/controversial videos fall more on the side of trolls.

If you want to do something about people spreading negative stereotypes, the best thing you can do is create and spread your own content, independently. Don't give them attention, don't send them Youtube views, just make your own essays/videos/whatever about the good things you see in fandom. Let your positive voice drown out their negative.

It's not about letting bullies be bullies. Bullies suck and I think we all wish they'd stop their crap. But if you play their game, you're only going to lose.
Best thing you can do is report them if their content breaks website rules (so that moderators who have the tools and authority to actually shut them down can deal with them), and do your best to make your voice heard louder if it doesn't.

Before anyone says ignore the stereotypes oh, it's not that easy. As the stereotypes grow, the people who believe them also grow, which in turn makes it harder and harder for the innocent furries to make any friends with people. That's why a lot of furies, regardless of how hard they try, have a hard time befriending people who are non furry thanks to these stereotypes.

The guy from the video doesn't care about the stereotypes he's presenting and I'd wager he probably doesn't actually believe them either. I seriously doubt that he has any deep seated hatred towards furries. He's trying to get views by being controversial. By not engaging, he doesn't get the views and the general population is less likely to see his video. With a single video on the channel, I don't think he's going to show up in the search results for "furries; they're going to get Majira and Adler and Nos and Kiwi and Telephone and countless others.

I'd also wager that anyone who believes the stuff in his video at face value, probably isn't anyone you want as a friend anyway.

If you want to make friends with non-furries in a non-furry related setting, it's probably a good idea not to try to do it in-suit.

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
I don't remember who said it, but someone on this forum gave a really good advice on how to deal with bullying.

Basically bullies want to show superiority over you. They can do that in many ways, such as scaring you into doing things for them, make fun of things you're ashamed of, or, in this particular case, taunt you to make you retaliate, so they can twist the story around to make you into the bad guy, but it's always to show dominance. Also creating drama is an easy way to get views on youtube.

Basically you have to show the bully that his tactics is not making you feel inferior. Implying that their actions actually makes them inferior is the cherry on the cake. For example if a bully threatens to hit you, you can say something like "yeah, I could tell you're the type of person who gets their way with violence... I guess that's all you can do uh?" in a disgusted tone. Another option would be to laugh it off as if what they said was silly.

In some cases, ignoring won't work because it can be considered a submissive behavior. It can be a good strategy in some cases, but if it doesn't work something else has to be done, the right thing to do depends on what the bully wants though. Retaliation is not often the right answer.

Also if you go debate with him he can try to drive the conversation towards what he wants, so I wouldn't recommend taking on his offer unless you know all the tactics he might use and how to deflect them. Also it would have to be live so he can't edit your words.

A response video would be easier but it would give him views, so I would only recommend it if he had a bigger channel (so you would be the one getting views thanks to him!)

Honestly I don't see the point of arguing with him since he has only 3 subs. If you want to let people know that furries are not as bad as people think I would suggest making/sharing content doing just that, instead of giving him attention by addressing him directly (or even mentionning his name).

Society is already starting to see furries a lot less negatively than it used to though, so I don't see this guy as a threat.
Generally, you can safely ignore the cunts, as they only want attention. Attention seekers will find other targets once they figure out you are not possible to target.

The best solution is to starve them, and one of the easiest. One of the hardest if not impossible ones would be to try and convince them that what they are doing is wrong. This is the internet after all. You will find assholes everywhere.

On the rare occasion that it doesn't work to report, block and ignore there are other ways to deal with them.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
I think I'm gonna make a video saying that furries are the ultimately nicest folks on earth.

Then I'll make a thread called, "Found a video of a guy claiming furries are really the most funloving, wonderful, caring people"...just for some variety, if nothing else :p

The Big G doesn't disclose how their search algorithms work (probably because they change them very often), but we can figure out the general heuristics.
How many subscribers does the channel have and what's the rate of growth.
How many likes vs dislikes do the videos have.
How many videos get shared.
How many comments are there.
Do people watch the entire video or do they skip ahead or click away.
What percentage of viewers are return viewers and how many are new ones.
How frequently do you upload new content.
Youtube rewards the creators who get the views and bring in the monies. That's why the successful channels release a lot of short videos on a strict schedule and constantly ask you to "like, comment, and subscribe". People are more likely to watch the entire video and less likely to not watch a new video because they didn't know it was uploaded.

So when a youtuber (troll) creates a video like the one in the OP, if you don't engage, he doesn't get the shares and comments and views and the algorithm will eventually bury it.

Additionally, you can subscribe to your favorite furry youtubers, watch their videos, like them, and leave a positive comment. This will push them up the rank and the furry-friendly videos are going to be what the general population is going to see.

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ
Title says all.

latest

"Hatred" toward furries has been around for decades. It's an internet trope. The product of bored nerds with an internet connection and a dream. Of course, one might argue that the furry fandom is itself the product of similarly bored nerds, but I digress. This is nothing new, and nothing to get worked up about. I put "hatred" in quotes because it's more like teasing than actual hate.

BackPaw

Resident Foxy Ape
I think I'm gonna make a video saying that furries are the ultimately nicest folks on earth.

Then I'll make a thread called, "Found a video of a guy claiming furries are really the most funloving, wonderful, caring people"...just for some variety, if nothing else :p
And I’ll make a video about the thread, then make a thread about that, and each and every one of us could do the same in turn until all of Y0uTube and FAF is positive furvibes based loosely on self-promotion :)

VileTypos

dramatic exit
Well, Kothorix keeps us informed about the negative things, yes, but that’s not to make us miserable. It’s so we aren’t oblivious to the negative things about our community. We’re so accepting of the abnormal that sometimes we turn a blind eye to real problems.

Baalf

Well, Kothorix keeps us informed about the negative things, yes, but that’s not to make us miserable. It’s so we aren’t oblivious to the negative things about our community. We’re so accepting of the abnormal that sometimes we turn a blind eye to real problems.

The problem is is that he lumped all furries into the same category. This reflects badly on people who don't apply it to his problems.

TheArchiver, I love how you cherry-pick through my post without actually reading it.

BackPaw

Resident Foxy Ape
I much prefer how Artemis Wishfoot does it. I never took to Kothorix really, so only reaction from me to his swansong was a shrug.

C

Cyroo

Yeah, ignore rapists and pedophiles and people that kill animals, traffic women, haha, it's all about those furries jacking off to anthropomorphic ladies. :eek:

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster

VileTypos

dramatic exit
I've already responded to this, but I'd just like to say that I actually liked this guy's video, from an entertainment standpoint. It was misinformed at times, especially considering he didn't offer a rebuttal, but it was funny and not near as disrespectful as a lot of other anti-furs. Anyways, continue :V