• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

From race car safety praise to tradegy in less than 24 hours

Alstor

And twice as shiny
*I know people are going to bash my choice of words in the title, but bare with me.

I'm not a racing fan AT ALL, but I found this interesting.

So last night, during the NASCAR Bank of America 500, Jimmie Johnson was involved in a nasty crash, which can be seen here.

Why is this big? Take a look at this famous crash from ten and a half years ago. Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s deadly crash and Johnson's crash are very similar, from how the car hit the wall, to the speed. But what killed Earnhardt Sr. didn't kill Johnson. It shows how much stock car safety has changed for the better in just a decade. That's the praise.

Today, during the Indy Las Vegas 300 race, a fifteen car crash occurred in the thirteenth lap, which can be seen here. This crash killed Dan Wheldon, who won the Indy 500 this year and was one of the biggest racers in the Indy league. He was 33.

I have no motive for this thread. I just think it was interesting how things went from "yay racing" to "God damn racing."

Ad Hoc

THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
My aunt and uncle used to sell HANS devices, the safety feature which Earnhardt didn't use. Fuck they were so smug when he died, they're terrible people.

Glad to see it Johnson good, though. Shame about Wheldon.

Cyril

Post-rock Crusader
RIP to the deceased, but...
honestly we all know that these sports are way too dangerous for their own good. Take the Reno Air Race crash last month as another example (exactly a month ago, wasn't it? :/). Sports with vehicles that aren't perfect and cannot possibly be perfect have never been a good idea. Of course we'll never wise up and just stop participating in these sports.

R

Rukh_Whitefang

RIP to the deceased, but...
honestly we all know that these sports are way too dangerous for their own good. Take the Reno Air Race crash last month as another example (exactly a month ago, wasn't it? :/). Sports with vehicles that aren't perfect and cannot possibly be perfect have never been a good idea. Of course we'll never wise up and just stop participating in these sports.

Sure, might as well throw out sports that use bicycles, skis, and snowboards in there as well. As those sports are also dangerous.

Accidents happen. That doesn't mean the sport isn't safe. You cannot account for the human factor.

People have died in many sports. Does that mean we should just stop them because accidents happen? Lets alienate an entire group of people and their interests because you don't think it can ever be safe enough.

Yeah, I am a racing fan. I love drag racing, Formula one, and Le Mans.

Last edited by a moderator:

xcliber

HUGS DAMNIT! U no u want 2!
The thrill of the sport outweighs the risk involved in the minds of the participants.
The people who participate in these sports are well aware of the dangers involved.

Loael @ Nascar... Never watched it, but i dont see how they crash? I thought they only had to turn one direction... And even more interesting, F1 is both faster & has more turns but i can remember the last time someone died in a F1 car accident... Its just the way the cars are built differently.

L

LizardKing

If it wasn't for the crashes I'd never watch any of it anyway.

R

Rukh_Whitefang

Loael @ Nascar... Never watched it, but i dont see how they crash? I thought they only had to turn one direction... And even more interesting, F1 is both faster & has more turns but i can remember the last time someone died in a F1 car accident... Its just the way the cars are built differently.

I am not a fan of Nascar, but have you seen how close they tailgate each other catching each others draft? Its ridiculously close. Heck, they bump into each other all the time on the track. Not to mention if a tire blows out or the car has mechanical problems, that can cause the car to crash.

Fay V

Lost to this world

Because the speed is horrendous and small things have a large effect. A tap on a bumper sends the car off in another direction and the drivers lose control, crashing into a wall or other, very fast cars.
As for the F1, watch the video. It's F1 and the crash is awful. Much worse than what I've seen in nascar.

anyway OP yeah. Looking at the jimmie johnson one, I'm stunned that he took that hit and was okay enough to drive the mangled car back to his pit. You can really see the difference in safety. Like how in vid one the front folded up, but it doesn't do that with the second one.

Cyril

Post-rock Crusader
Sure, might as well throw out sports that use bicycles, skis, and snowboards in there as well. As those sports are also dangerous.

Accidents happen. That doesn't mean the sport isn't safe. You cannot account for the human factor.

People have died in many sports. Does that mean we should just stop them because accidents happen? Lets alienate an entire group of people and their interests because you don't think it can ever be safe enough.

Yeah, I am a racing fan. I love drag racing, Formula one, and Le Mans.
Where did I say that these sports should be stopped? I know that isn't going to happen, but I can't comprehend why people would choose to participate in them.

Commiecomrade

Maximum Awesome.
That's crazy. I never thought a crash that looked so minor could kill Dale Earnhardt. And then when I saw that last video, how did only one person die? The amount of flying cars and simultaneous crashes would have been comical had it been fake.

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned

Unsilenced

Mentlegen
That's crazy. I never thought a crash that looked so minor could kill Dale Earnhardt. And then when I saw that last video, how did only one person die? The amount of flying cars and simultaneous crashes would have been comical had it been fake.

NASCAR crashes are weird like that. I watched the race where Dale Earnhardt died (I was a little kid, it was a sport that involved fast cars, sue me) and earlier in it there was a crash where one car turned sideways at full speed, flipped into the air, flew a few dozen feet, then landed on a giant stack of other cars that were also in the process of smacking into each other at freeway speeds. When someone told me that a driver had been killed I naturally assumed it had been one of them but no. It was that one guy who spun out near the end.

Kinda nuts, really. Don't think I ever watched it again.

anero

houndini logic
How many rednecks must die before they realize that Nascar is dangerous and stupid? Clearly, not enough. :y

Dan Wheldon was a british indy car driver with kids and notably contributed a lot to motorsports at large, but yeah, FUCKING REDNECKS AMIRITE I'M SO HIP AGH.

shame about wheldon anyway. open wheel racing on oval tracks is fucking stupid.

Last edited:

KatmanDu

Squeezing the Charmin
Where did I say that these sports should be stopped? I know that isn't going to happen, but I can't comprehend why people would choose to participate in them.

Because life without risk is boring.

I'm going to get back to risking my life with a high-fat diet now.

Commiecomrade

Maximum Awesome.
Because life without risk is boring.

I'm going to get back to risking my life with a high-fat diet now.

And yet somehow you can make risking your life and increasing your chances of death boring.

When I die, I want to be in five different mortician's offices until they can all identify me. It will be like a macabre jigsaw puzzle.

KatmanDu

Squeezing the Charmin
And yet somehow you can make risking your life and increasing your chances of death boring.

I never said *my* life wasn't boring.

Actually, I'm going to go out in a hail of bullets after a six state murder spree using only a spatula. Fie on all those guys who go apeshit with an AK-47; a real spree killer uses a dull kitchen implement.