• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FTL Travel

Sylox

boi...chill out!
I'm in geek mode right now with New Horizons making it to Pluto and decided to ask you all this.

If it turns out Faster-than-Light Travel its possible, should humans really take advantage of it and on the flip side, what do you think it will mean for humanity if it turns out FTL is not possible? Is humanity doomed to roam the solar system, using distant moons and asteroids as outposts and colonies, or will we still send out probes to the far reaches of the Milky Way to spread our "seeds" and begin an era of colonization.

What say you?

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
In either case, we need to learn to manage the resources here first.

A

aeroxwolf

I believe we should learn how to live on planet earth without bleeding it dry of resources and destroying the eco system before we can move on to a new planet.

Khaki

AFP's Most Unwanted
I look forward to the day we start mining moons such as Titan for hydrocarbons or asteroids for their mineral and ice content.

A

aeroxwolf

I think furries are more sympathetic to mother nature that any other people in the world.

Then its settled. Our new world's shall be colonised by furries!

Now imagine going on vacation to a foreign country for the first time. Now imagine not ever being able to go home. That's what it will feel like to colonise a new planet. But if living conditions are similar to earth, it would be such an other worldly experience. Pun intended. Everything we know as human beings came from planet earth. With a new planet, there will be so many new sight, sounds and tastes that no one in history would have experienced. I hope they crack FTLT, i all for experimenting with new things.

Kit H. Ruppell

I look forward to the day we start mining moons such as Titan for hydrocarbons or asteroids for their mineral and ice content.
Not bad idea; nothing alive to disturb, so no reason to hold back.

Kit H. Ruppell

Everything remotely like us will be long extinct well before it needs to think about that.

Zerig

So Graceful and Phallic
Banned
first things first

we need to invade other planets and fuck the exotic aliens and add them to our galactic empire

LazerMaster5

Lost in the Static
Warp drives are cool. Interstellar travel would become a reality, and we would be able to meet other sentient beings on worlds previously unknown to man. The future is what we make of it, so let's make warp drives.

Astus

Well Known Foxxo
If that happens humans would be doomed to die a miserable death on the planet they destroyed. Maybe they'll make it to Mars and make it habitable through future technology, but even that will be destroyed too. But that doesn't really even matter anyways because humans will probably find a way to kill each other off before that happens

Kosdu

Technology really doesn't need to go terribly far for us to migrate to other worlds, it's just expensive and impractical as fuck.

Don't see literally travelling faster than light as possible, for obvious reasons.

Frankly things like the "fabric of space-time" also sounds to me like overcomplication.

The direction I want science to go is understanding gravity.... No really, probably the most powerful force in the universe that is always there and links every object on earth together... That is definitely worth understanding.

Sylox

boi...chill out!
I mean you never know Kosdu, the math says its theoretically possible, the problem is the amount of energy needed for a hypothetical warp drive and then you have to find something to keep the bubble around said drive stable.

Khaki

AFP's Most Unwanted
And I thought it's about us running out of water.

It's more a case of it being more resource efficient to just gain your sources of water from elsewhere rather than expending the large amounts of fuel to
launch a payload of water from the Earth's surface which could be used for delivering other vital supplies for use outside the Earth's atmosphere.

Astus

Well Known Foxxo
I mean you never know Kosdu, the math says its theoretically possible, the problem is the amount of energy needed for a hypothetical warp drive and then you have to find something to keep the bubble around said drive stable.

Well I mean according to Einstein you can't go faster than the speed of light, you can approach it but as you do time slows down around you to compensate. So technically you could travel really fast to another solar system, but the time in world outside your ship would move at a much slower rate than your time in the ship

Iceeat

Its tough to say really. I knew a guy that was into Sci-Fi hard core. Once we had a discussion and he was really into the idea of humanity expanding to other planets, scientifically its awesome, but here's where the talk got interesting. He was dead set on it being possible by next generation because we we're running out of resources here. I said "Humans shouldn't expand to other planets until we can manage this one. We can barely take care of one planet much less ourselves." he strongly disagreed "We need more resources to survive or humanity will die out." I reminded him that one day we will anyways as everything must come to its end ultimately. Apparently this idea was to terrifying for him to grasp and he became frenzied.

My point is perhaps we could go to other planets or even make a habitual space station to live on. But until we learn to manage our current resources and planet that were ruining then expansion will only doom us to repeat past mistakes. We cant even work together as a species on one planet much less multiple. Humanity may be technologically developed enough to possibly expand but our maturity as a whole is not.