• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FTL Travel

Iceeat

Well I mean according to Einstein you can't go faster than the speed of light, you can approach it but as you do time slows down around you to compensate. So technically you could travel really fast to another solar system, but the time in world outside your ship would move at a much slower rate than your time in the ship
Ironically humans have been put into a stasis to prevent aging, the problem is the dethaw. If we can learn to dehaw safely and robotic then the time wont matter. Not to mention we've yet to disprove the Wormhole theory.

Astus

Well Known Foxxo
Ironically humans have been put into a stasis to prevent aging, the problem is the dethaw. If we can learn to dehaw safely and robotic then the time wont matter. Not to mention we've yet to disprove the Wormhole theory.

Yes you are absolutely right... wormholes... squeeee!!! You're pushing all my nerd buttons >~<

Iceeat

Yes you are absolutely right... wormholes... squeeee!!! You're pushing all my nerd buttons >~<
Im gonna push them more when I tell you we've begun to understand more of anti-matter, speculated to be the force behind gravity, and a basic understanding of how to teleport things though not put into practice due to the intense energy required and the complexity of rebuilding, say, a human due to the complexity of our subatomic makeup. We've also more or less determined that the manipulation of time can be found in quantum physics.

Mind you in a week all of this can be disproven with thee right evidence being brought up.

Alexxx-Returns

The Sergal that Didn't Vore
I feel like that sort of technology- and after that, the use of it being commonplace, is well beyond any of our lifetimes =( so no space travel for us

Astus

Well Known Foxxo
I feel like that sort of technology- and after that, the use of it being commonplace, is well beyond any of our lifetimes =( so no space travel for us

Actually with advances in technology it may not be too far past our time, look how far computers have gone in the last century alone

And Iceeat ahggggggg!!! You seriously pushed those nerd buttons, now I'm going to be on the Internet for weeks looking all this up then forgetting about it a few days later!!!

Ieono

Uberaffe
Its tough to say really. I knew a guy that was into Sci-Fi hard core. Once we had a discussion and he was really into the idea of humanity expanding to other planets, scientifically its awesome, but here's where the talk got interesting. He was dead set on it being possible by next generation because we we're running out of resources here. I said "Humans shouldn't expand to other planets until we can manage this one. We can barely take care of one planet much less ourselves." he strongly disagreed "We need more resources to survive or humanity will die out." I reminded him that one day we will anyways as everything must come to its end ultimately. Apparently this idea was to terrifying for him to grasp and he became frenzied.

My point is perhaps we could go to other planets or even make a habitual space station to live on. But until we learn to manage our current resources and planet that were ruining then expansion will only doom us to repeat past mistakes. We cant even work together as a species on one planet much less multiple. Humanity may be technologically developed enough to possibly expand but our maturity as a whole is not.

This has never stopped certain groups of humans from advancing science, technology, and our exploration of our universe. I can assure you that those capable of doing so will be colonizing space in the not-too-distant future, while millions of people are still living in poverty on a ruined and pillaged Earth. This is the most likely scenario for centuries to come.

Humanity will always be heavily segmented as far as "class" is concerned for as long as resources and the means to attain them can be exclusively owned by others. Privatization is the true downfall of human equality.

Sylox

boi...chill out!
Well I mean according to Einstein you can't go faster than the speed of light, you can approach it but as you do time slows down around you to compensate. So technically you could travel really fast to another solar system, but the time in world outside your ship would move at a much slower rate than your time in the ship

Well I was talking about Warp Drive, its theoretically possible, but you're right you can't go faster than the speed of light because as you approach it you need more and more energy to the point where you'd need an infinite amount and that's impossible. Still the effects of time dilation are what would make FTL Travel a problem.

Tao

Hare Boi
I'm calling it now, FTL is gonna mess things up. When the Event Horizon comes back full of hellbeasts, don't come running to me.

Kosdu

Yeah, as was pointed out you can't travel faster than pure energy with even the slightest mass.

I have to say aswell, I don't believe in time dilation or the like.
I fail to see how travelling faster could possibly change the rate of change of every particle in every bit of what is moving.

Guess it's because I see time as a way of measuring change, and as a measuremenr it not having any phsyical embodiement which can be altered in any way.

Wormholes and things to "wrinkle" space don't also make the most sense to me, especially considering space is just radiation + some dust... Not an object. I don't bash on these that much though since they atleast base themselves on forces which do exist.

I believe migration to other planets will be more engineering and coordination between different societies on earth more than scientific advancement, if anything. I recently watched a special on TV about building the world's largest aircraft carrier (in England), and it'd pretty much be applying a similar process to something in space with a more advanced strcture.

Thing is, these things probably won't be possible unless the world comes together on em.

Last edited:

Kosdu

But...Time Dilation is a real thing, how could you not believe in it?

It doesn't make sense for it to be a real effect.

I'd like to see how at a phsyical level a particles relative speed could change the rate at which it experiences changes, and at an organism level how it would change it's metabolic functions.

If anyone wants to try to explain, feel free.

Sylox

boi...chill out!

Kellie Gator

Moral Minority
Depends, if FTL technology can be used to warp reality like in System Shock 2 then it should probably be avoided. :V

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I think furries are more sympathetic to mother nature that any other people in the world.

Not really. You guys are no more likely to be vegetarian than the rest of us, and many of you enjoy hunting or buy fur from fur-farms.

It doesn't make sense for it to be a real effect.

I'd like to see how at a phsyical level a particles relative speed could change the rate at which it experiences changes, and at an organism level how it would change it's metabolic functions.

If anyone wants to try to explain, feel free.

Einstein was right, and you're wrong.

[video=youtube;ajhFNcUTJI0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajhFNcUTJI0[/video]

This is a simple discussion of relativity.

If you want to understand it you'll have to read about it.

Last edited:

Cyanomega

FTL travel is a interesting concept, but even if possible, how would a vehicle(let alone a person) withstand the process? Think of the toll it would take. We would need some kind of technology that would prevent damage to the object traveling at such a speed. Not to mention how difficult it would be to navigate in such a situation. But I assume you assume we would have such tech by the time we achieve FTL. And another thing to consider is how we would be able to sustain ourselves(unless you think we would have Star Trek level replicators) And how we could maintain the ludicrous amount of fuel needed to engage in FTL. I think if humanity ever reached that point, it would be small ships with skeleton crews. Maybe if cryogenic sleep or hyper sleep were possible it would be more feasible. But who knows? Maybe it will be a reality in your lifetime(I'll be dead and gone more than likely)

Ieono

Uberaffe
No offense, but I am amazed that in this day and age, so few people of reasonable intellect understand special and general relativity. It seems that a lot of the most groundbreaking work in the sciences of even the most recent eras are oftentimes unknown to the general populous. For a scientific theory to hold as much flack as say, Einstein's theories of Relativity, they have to be able to be observed through experimentation. As you can read in almost any scientific analysis of the theory, hundreds of experiments have confirmed the venerability of Einstein's claims.

Moving faster than the speed of light is the same as traveling backwards in time. This is thanks to the relativity of simultaneity. Time is relative to the observer's frame of reference; it is not the same in all circumstances. Causality does not occur at the same rate in all circumstances.

Cyanomega

Well I never claimed to fully understand relativity in any way shape or form. Guess I should brush up on scientific theory and practice before I comment next time around.

Rassah

I see a few possibilities here with regards to FTL or long distance transport.

We may be able to figure out how to warp spacetime, which is what NASA recently published about, where we technically aren't traveling faster than light, but we are in relation to other things outside of the bubble we create. That would take enormous amount of energy and likely the technology and science for it won't be known for many years to come (possibly centuries if ever).

If we are limited to traveling normally, close to but not faster than light, we would have to somehow get used to having those we know age at different rates than us. Perhaps we will reach immortality soon, so traveling for 20 to 50 years to get to the nearest stars won't be much of an issue for us personally due to us having no personal time limit, but it would mean that in the short amount of time we take to get there, others we known, like our friends and family, would have lived out rich lives spanning many decades or even centuries. Imagine taking a 2 week trip somewhere, only to find out when you come back that in that time your best friend whom you care a lot about and haven't seen only recently has found a partner, married, had kids, raised those kids, and may have mostly forgotten about you, having mostly moved on with their lives. I don't know how our species and society would be able to adopt to such a thing.

Another option that may happen, even sooner, is us being able to download and upload our own minds to machines or artificially constructed bodies. Being able to duplicate ourselves and all the issues that come with that aside, we may be able to make bodies, fly them to distant planets using the normal extremely long process, and then when we want to travel, simply send our consciousness as radio waves to another body somewhere, borrowing it temporarily just for a visit. In such a case, we, or our consciousness, will actually be traveling at the speed of light.

And btw, we are not running out of resources. We are running out of some resources, but we constantly find alternatives when those depleting resources become scarce. For instance, we are EXTREMELY low on wale blubber, and there is no way we have enough wale blubber to provide lighting for the entire world. But we don't use wale blubber for lighting any more, so that resource that we have run out of is not a problem. But as long as public governments and utilities continue to subsidize and manage resources that we do use, we will keep being stuck using them until they are depleted, including those old rapidly disappearing resources being the only option for those at the bottom of society, without us having any alternatives ready that we would have been pursuing had the price of depleting resources been allowed to go up. Publicly managed resources is the true downfall of human equality.

So technically you could travel really fast to another solar system, but the time in world outside your ship would move at a much slower rate than your time in the ship

Just to reiterate, it's faster, not slower. Unfortunately, when you travel to another world in a matter of months, back home everyone would have aged many years.

I have to say aswell, I don't believe in time dilation or the like.

Time dilation is something we already have to deal with. Those GPS satellites, which work because they have to synchronize time exactly and are running atomic clocks on board, actually have their time run slower than here on earth due to their huge speed. So all our GPS units here on earth have to actually run software that compensates for the difference and drift in time. It's only a fraction of a second difference, but it means being off my many feet/meters if not compensated for.

Last edited:

Charrio

Artistic Mouse
Well you can go faster then light but it's meaningless
Say a star is 100,000 lightyears away, say going twice light speed gets you there in only 50,000yrs way too long
to be worth trying or doing.

We need a gateway not faster then light or we are stuck in the small bubble we can reach.
Also space is always moving, and galaxies drift and move, making all sensor data worthless. We can only see as far
as light travels and everything is lightyears away. Making anything we try for years if not millennia different then what
we see on earth. Everything has moved and the farther away the more so and anomalies may have changed the drift predicted.

Unless you can gateway there, space travel is a dud.