• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FTL Travel

MalletFace

The slave of the Jlfksjlfl
Banned
At speeds like that, you have to stop thinking of it as a fast traveling object, and start thinking of it as matter traveling in a matter collider. There won't be time for anything to heat up, and I'm pretty sure the impact would be on an atomic rather than molecular level. Every bit of dust could result in a micro nuclear explosion.

What happens needs more details to actually be explained. Two objects colliding at near the speed of light will not always give you large amounts of fusion.

You will always get huge amounts of heat and light from the change of energy of motion into other forms of energy, though. You might even see generation of particles.

You're far more likely to hit dust, anywhere from single protons to small molecular clusters, than you are to hit anything of significant size. With planning, it is difficult to even reach planets we know are there. Hitting anything at all would be really difficult at near the speed of light, especially considering our slower craft don't tend to hit things we don't plan on them hitting in interplanetary space.

I didn't feel like whipping out my notes on classical or relativistic physics, so I'm not sure what else could happen. Collisions are difficult to understand.

Sylox

boi...chill out!
Okay, guys let me ask you this: What are your views on Wormholes and their existence and potential usage as a means of FTL travel? I'm one who doesn't believe they exist and if they did, I don't beleive they'd be able to be used for travel since there is no way for us to keep it open for travel, unless we develop some new form of gravity and even then, it still wouldn't be stable.

Jackie

Okay, guys let me ask you this: What are your views on Wormholes and their existence and potential usage as a means of FTL travel? I'm one who doesn't believe they exist and if they did, I don't beleive they'd be able to be used for travel since there is no way for us to keep it open for travel, unless we develop some new form of gravity and even then, it still wouldn't be stable.

From what I can understand, wormholes seem to be the most likely (and possibly, THE only) way for us to cross vast distances of space faster than light. It's already well known that other dimensions of space exists, and these extra dimensions could possibly be used as "shortcuts" between locations in our dimensions. How could we possibly use "extra dimensions" as shortcuts through space? good question...

MalletFace

The slave of the Jlfksjlfl
Banned

Wormholes are confusing. Right now, my honest guess as to whether or not we can use them is probably not.

They are predicted in general relativity, though, and many people are working to figure out if they can be stable naturally or through human intervention. Who knows what we will learn in years to come.

Also, since I'm feeling pedantic, most solutions to FTL travel are actually not moving you faster than light. If light were to travel with you, it would always reach the destination before you do.

From what I can understand, wormholes seem to be the most likely (and possibly, THE only) way for us to cross vast distances of space faster than light. It's already well known that other dimensions of space exists, and these extra dimensions could possibly be used as "shortcuts" between locations in our dimensions. How could we possibly use "extra dimensions" as shortcuts through space? good question...

You're confused as to what a dimension is. A dimension is no more than the coordinates needed to place something in space.

For example, a dimension could have coordinates (x,y), but by adding a third coordinate, z, you won't shorten the distance between any two points on the plane you started with. If anything, you only lengthen the distance between the two points if z is any value higher than 0.

You likely meant alternate universes or planes of existence. The only reason I'm correcting you is because misunderstanding what a dimension is makes understanding things like reference frames more difficult.

It is also unknown as to whether or not other dimensions or universes exist. This is a point at which most respectable professionals in this type of science would only be honest if they told you "We're not sure, but we'd like to find out." I'd consider more dimensions more likely than more universes, however.

More dimensions are more likely to unify theories. New universes might just fuck them up.

J

Jaden Darchon

To address OP's question: If FTL is determined feasible (or in general any extreme distance covering technology) what would this mean; well, it would certainly promote terraforming. I think we're already planning to deploy algae to potential life sustaining planets to create atmosphere. Mars, was it?... Honestly though, I think humanity needs to get its stuff together here first, but that probably ain't happening anytime soon.

This is a really interesting discussion; one thing that piques my interest is regarding time dilation. Sure, it may become possible to travel spatial distances "instantly" from the subject's perspective, but it could be a one way trip temporally! That's actually a pretty cool concept for a game/movie - a dying planet sends off colony pods to various planets, each arriving in a different time. Heck, maybe time is the final frontier!

Also I dunno what you'd call it, but isn't it the only true random variance in the universe is at the quantum level upon which theories of multiverses are founded? I need to go look that stuff up again, but I recall interesting theories about how what we observe as random motion of quantum particles could actually be collisions happening between particles residing in different {universes, dimensions}. Crazy!