• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fun regional things

Gavrill

ladies~
This title is vague and so is the thread kind of. In areas that you are familiar with, are there things that are unique to those areas that you like?

From living around a few different places in the southeast, I've found that there are a few things that are impossible or difficult to find anywhere else. Such as boiled peanuts. They are so good (kind of an acquired taste, though) and the spicy ones especially ffff. I crave them a lot. In rural Georgia you'll often drive by these roadside stands with huge metal barrels with steam pouring out. Those are filled with delicious boiling peanuts, and they're usually cheap (maybe $1-$2 for a Styrofoam cup full). They're popular fair food too.
Another thing there I haven't seen anywhere else is "Polk salad", which includes some wild lettuce cooked with scrambled eggs in oil. It's...interesting, tastes kinda funky to me depending on if you use butter or oil. (Butter, y'all!)

Another thing unique to the southeast is the wildlife, like gar, alligators, cottonmouth snakes, tons of brown recluse (they're over other areas, but there's literally nests and nests and nests of those fuckers in south GA/north FL). Also "snipe hunting", which is a huge in-joke where you tell someone not familiar with the joke to go hunt a snipe, which does not exist. Hunting the snipe usually includes you making a lot of noise and making a fool of yourself.

In south Florida, there are a lot of things unique to there that are common in other countries but may come as a culture shock to most Americans, like the vast amount of Cuban food. Cafe Cubano is fucking delicious, by the way. (It involves making a paste out of espresso and sugar and then immediately adding more espresso so it makes this really sweet espresso with a slight foam over it.) Also there are these pastries that I ate a lot there I don't remember the name of and haven't been able to find since that are flaky and biscuit-like shaped into triangles usually and filled with either fruit filling (strawberry, especially) or cheese. My mom calls them "Mexican toaster strudels" but they are not made in toasters and also not Mexican as far as I'm aware.
One more distinctly Florida thing is naming everything "sawgrass". Sawgrass is a type of grass found in swamps that have curved spikes on them and will fuck your shit up depending on how you hold them. Sawgrass is also edible.

okay now talk more than me.

Ad Hoc

Some old guy
Oh, I love threads like this, even if there isn't much to say about it for Wisconsin. We say the word "bubbler" though, which is normal English for water fountain. We also have a mythological creature called the hodag, which supposedly lives/lived near Rhinelander. It's kind of like our version of the chupacabra.

Snipes are real though. :0 Although I'm not sure they exist in that part of the world.

Inciatus

In the land of bipolar weather
In Central Florida there are boiled peanuts. If you travel on 520 you will see about three stands every mile. One with oranges or mangoes and two with boiled peanuts

Evan of Phrygia

WwwHhAaaAaTtTttTttTtT
Michigan = Great Drumlines, no drum corps...That's about it.

Gavrill

ladies~
Snipes are real though. :0 Although I'm not sure they exist in that part of the world.
I know there's something called a snipe, but in Georgia it refers to a made up animal x3
In Central Florida there are boiled peanuts. If you travel on 520 you will see about three stands every mile. One with oranges or mangoes and two with boiled peanuts
I was never up in central Florida, sadly. Just border-north and south (Miami, South Beach, Homestead, etc). And the whole time I was in Florida I saw like one orange orchid. I feel so ripped off.

Also Georgia does not have that many peach places. Most of the ones that exist are tourist attractions, apparently. I didn't eat many peaches in Georgia but I ate a ton of pecans and boiled peanuts
GEORGIA SHOULD BE THE PECAN STATE =o

R

Rukh_Whitefang

Michigan = Great Drumlines, no drum corps...That's about it.

What about the fact that Michigan has more beachfront that Florida?
Or the UP. Its beautiful up there. Its like a gigantic nature preserve.
If you go to the west side of Michigan, its great.

I like how the state is heavy into motor sports. As that is my hobby.

Onnes

In south Florida, there are a lot of things unique to there that are common in other countries but may come as a culture shock to most Americans, like the vast amount of Cuban food.

This isn't limited to the state's south, or to Cuban food for that matter. I believe the biggest influx of new immigrants is from Venezuela, and authentic food from there and other South American countries is becoming increasingly common.

Gavrill

ladies~
This isn't limited to the state's south, or to Cuban food for that matter. I believe the biggest influx of new immigrants is from Venezuela, and authentic food from there and other South American countries is becoming increasingly common.
FLORIDA DID IT FIRST

nah, what I'm saying is that south Florida itself has a very unique feel to it, Cuban food just being a single variation. It's just an international hub. Very interesting place where you can get a Cuban sandwich for breakfast, Russian lamb stew for lunch, and have a traditional Korean dinner at a temple. Which I did there a few times. c:

Inciatus

In the land of bipolar weather
Originally it was: Great Schools, because there really isn't anything else to do.
Now it is: The more north you go the more south it gets

Gavrill

ladies~
Speakin o' drinkin, hooch is way more common in rural Georgia than anywhere else I have been. I've gone over to people's houses at 16 and they would be like "hey want some homemade wine"? It's no wonder Dukes of Hazzard is based and filmed there.