• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fundamentals and how they should be done

Kopatropa

Drawing seriously since 2013
I can't believe some artists actually tell others not to draw or even think about anything fun until their understanding of the basics are acceptable, no matter how long it takes, which I personally find very discouraging.

What's the point in taking up a hobby if there isn't gonna be any fun involved? Hobbies, by definition, are supposed to be pleasuring. Maybe unless it's a profession?

I'd like to hear your opinions. Is it wrong to put the "fun" in "fundamentals" or is it supposed to be 100% tedious?

ChromaticRabbit

lagomorphic
Banned
It's satisfying to feel yourself grow in these intangible ways that express themselves on the canvas. It's a path well worn in history, humanity hasn't changed, the old ways are the best way to approach learning to draw or paint, perhaps adapted for digital canvas.

fralea

It depends on whether you are drawing for fun or drawing to improve. If you are drawing solely for fun, just do whatever you want! Many people on these boards don't consider drawing a hobby but their job and/or passion.

Inkblooded

Him...
Banned
You should draw things you enjoy drawing, instead of forcing yourself to draw things you don't like.
Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise, or else you could lose interest in art.
There's no point to drawing if you don't enjoy doing it.

Katook

You can still draw for fun, just make sure to practice and incorporate the fundementals. And it is painfully obvious when someone who has solid fundementals vs when they don't
But that matters only really if you want it to. You cannot be a professional(for long) without them

RhelArts

catboy connoisseur
You should have a mix of both. The fundamentals aren't always The Best, but it's silly to say they shouldn't be able to be incorporated into fun stuff, too! Practice anatomy with your OC, do a cool perspective shot of your favorite character, play with bounce lighting with an object from your favorite game - just do what you want and learn while you do it.

Diretooth

Dire Wolf and Dragon Therianthrope
Drawing is like writing in this way. Sure, you can make something for the hell of it, but you're not going to improve until you step out of your comfort zone from time to time. For instance, as far as drawing goes, I've been drawing the same basic shapes for a long time, improving minimally because I didn't branch out what I understood. Now, I'm working outside of my comfort zone by drawing heads and bodies and hands and feet in other art styles other than my own. Similarly, in writing, I've stuck to what I understand, branching out only when a story requires the necessary details. As of late, I've branched out toward more mature themes, such as sex and fetishes, for the sake of improving my writings and touching on subjects that I was too uncomfortable to do anything with beyond background mentions and dodging the subject. Similarly, I am terrified of bugs of any type due to personal trauma, and thus I've begun writing about them in both the context of something good and bad to simultaneously improve in other genres that I don't have experience in, as well as overcoming my issues with them.
The main thing is, don't constrain yourself to what you are comfortable with, be it the fundamentals or doing whatever for the sake of whatever. Experiment with the basics in new ways, don't be afraid to go through the boring stuff to get to the fun stuff. Sometimes you need to.