• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fur Affinity and Ads

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Fur Affinity has come a long way and has managed to do so in a very short period of time. In less than two years time, FA was able to skyrocket to the single most trafficked and visited site in the entire fandom! Unfortunately, that also brings problem: bandwidth consumption!

In its current form, Fur Affinity consumes an average of 22mbit, with peaks rising as high as 35mbit total! Needless to say, that's a huge amount of data! Like everything in life it doesn't come for free. Our generous host, Gushi, pays roughly $45 per megabit, and right now, Fur Affinity consumes data like a pack of Zerglings.

Fur Affinity currently spends $850 on its bandwidth. Each other month has resulted in an average $50 rise in costs to cover for bandwidth -- we're growing that much. At FA's current level, it's hard to maintain that level of funding on a month-to-month basis.

Donations help out immensely, but they only go so far. As our rates go up, the effectiveness of donations diminish over time. They have been an invaluable boon in keeping the site alive and running smoothly, generating over $16,000 worth of donations since Fur Affinity has come back online! Unfortunately, donations to not come in regularly enough to balance out the loss and help plan for future upgrades to the system.

Our intent is to keep the site running as smoothly and as efficiently as possible - without sacrificing features or content. At this point and time, ads have become a necessity needed to keep the site alive and well into 2008 and beyond. Ads will help bring in additional money to fuel the site's coffers, along with donations and our up-and-coming FA Store! More importantly, they'll work to keep the site FREE... while giving some amazing exposure to those who buy them. :)

Ads will be kept relevant to the site, the fandom and the interests of the community. In fact, ads will be FOR the community by MEMBERS of the community. We'll not be implementing corporate ads or those godawful "shoot the monkey to win!" flash ads. Ever.

By implementing ads, our long term goal to continually improve upon the quality and functionality of the site can stay intact, while ensuring the site can remain open and free while as we continue to improve. And work towards bringing back Search. And some other pleasant surprises in FA's near future.

Dragoneer,
FA Owner

Originally written 05-23-2007, updated 11-16-2007.

dave hyena

A wonderous moorhen
It's interesting to see the adverts now, in particular, the Paw Pet Megaplex one seems very well done. I will be intrigued to see what else people start coming up with with.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Dave Hyena said:
It's interesting to see the adverts now, in particular, the Paw Pet Megaplex one seems very well done. I will be intrigued to see what else people start coming up with with.
*nods* There is an Ad "Code of Quality" coming up soon enough to help dictate what ads can go on, what can't.

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
In fact, ads will be FOR the community by MEMBERS of the community.
Eh?
Example.

I don't have a problem with ad's as long as they don't take up too much space or are Pop-Up/Unders.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Bokracroc said:
In fact, ads will be FOR the community by MEMBERS of the community.
Eh?
Example.

I don't have a problem with ad's as long as they don't take up too much space or are Pop-Up/Unders.
Examples: The current ads for Further Confusion, Pawpet, etc. Aka, ads from within the community.

And no, there will never be popup/unders. I hate them with a passion.

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
They'll make enough money?

Kirakia

Preyfar said:
Ads will be kept relevant to the site, the fandom and the interests of the community. In fact, ads will be FOR the community by MEMBERS of the community. We'll not be implementing corporate ads or those godawful "shoot the monkey to win!" flash ads. Ever.

Dragoneer,
FA Owner

Originally written 05-23-2007, updated 11-16-2007.

No "shoot the monkey to win" ads?! *brain explodes and bows down to your awesomeness* I didn't think it was possible anymore to have ads that actually matched the website it's posted on. :D *bows again* This just gave me another reason why when I get on my own two feet that I'm going to make donations to FurAffinity :D

Kiokuffiib11

Preyfar said:
We'll not be implementing corporate ads or those godawful "shoot the monkey to win!" flash ads.

THANK YOU SOU much. I hate those.

I appreciate you not putting in those, or the pop up (or cookie) sort of Ads. I hate those!

mitsene

i would love to see the FA Store. If I had a job and therefore the money I would definately buy buy buy. One question though, the proposed store, will it feature products by members of the community i.e. will i be able to sell goods there?

agreed. if fA offered some sort of prints system [and took either a fee or a percentage or whatever from each print/user/etc] i'd have my stuff up there in a heartbeat. & i think this is the only site where i've actually been -hoping- that they'd have tshirts and whatnot available sooner or later!

also, THANK YOU for not incorporating corporate ads. one of the charms of the furry fandom is its avoidance [intentional or not] of overwhelming corporate sponsorship. i sincerely hope you keep this site this way.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
If they start a print system they need to start up as a business. Which I've been saying for a long time now.

Xipher

Any info on about the average cost and/or who should be contacted and where to apply? :D

fenrislorsrai

Now that FA is officially running ads, is there a document online that specifies ad rates, size, content, all that good stuff? Or will it be awhile yet before that is available?

I might be interested in buying ad space but I'm not finding it on a quick forum search. I do have a business to run, so I only have so much patience and time for combing through forums looking for the small print. :)

Soupa

Preyfar said:
a
Ads will be kept relevant to the site, the fandom and the interests of the community. In fact, ads will be FOR the community by MEMBERS of the community.

I'm interested in this, could you elaborate a bit more on this . Like if a member here had or has a web site, and wished to have in shown here they would have to pay a small fee for every say like 100 page views.[/quote]

So.... why do we not have an FA Cafepress store yet? (;

Janglur

LOL, and you were SO adamant about promising it would never have ads.

Still, I support the decision. Bandwidth costs are rising, and I don't mean FA. We're really stagnating, much like the dialup days. Bandwidth costs more and more and the cap's not rising, but the consumption is.

I reccomend that ads larger 200x150 cost more. Popups and popunders cost double. Let's try to avoid the kind of ads that annoy people the most.
Full-screen hijackers like FChan uses should simply not be allowed at all.

Rilvor

Formal when angry
It's actually rather amusing to a degree to try and see as many different ads as you can (some of them are somewhat entertaining)

"Gotta see 'em all!"

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Arshes Nei said:
If they start a print system they need to start up as a business. Which I've been saying for a long time now.
We're working on something like that, but FA will not be the distributer. =P

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Xipher said:
Any info on about the average cost and/or who should be contacted and where to apply? :D
That'll be made available early next week. Still going over numbers.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
fenrislorsrai said:
Now that FA is officially running ads, is there a document online that specifies ad rates, size, content, all that good stuff? Or will it be awhile yet before that is available?

I might be interested in buying ad space but I'm not finding it on a quick forum search. I do have a business to run, so I only have so much patience and time for combing through forums looking for the small print. :)
As posted in another comment, it will be posted in a few days.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
CaptainSaicin said:
So.... why do we not have an FA Cafepress store yet? (;
Because in my personal opinion Cafepress' quality... sucks. I've bought from them before, and their stuff fades horribly from the first wash. I'm not interested in selling something just for the sake of selling something. If/when I put out something for sale with FA's name on it I want it to be something worth buying, and my personal opinion of Cafepress is "not worth the money".

If you've seen any of the FA: United shirts you'll know what I mean. The shirt's quality and printing is worth buying (I've bought half a dozen myself, for me and friends).