• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fur Affinity and Ads

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Janglur said:
LOL, and you were SO adamant about promising it would never have ads.
Yep, and I'll be first to eat that crow. Mind you, I also said that long before Fur Affinity took the lead and stared costing $850+ a month.

Janglur said:
Still, I support the decision. Bandwidth costs are rising, and I don't mean FA. We're really stagnating, much like the dialup days. Bandwidth costs more and more and the cap's not rising, but the consumption is.

I reccomend that ads larger 200x150 cost more. Popups and popunders cost double. Let's try to avoid the kind of ads that annoy people the most. Full-screen hijackers like FChan uses should simply not be allowed at all.
No pop-ups/unders. That I am adamant about. Those are the single most annoying things on the Internet, and are the reason we have an industry dedicated to blocking them. Do not want.

As it stands, ads will be limited to 180x75px for now. No plans on changing that in the near future.

Kattywampus

Miss Wampus, if you're nasty
Preyfar said:
That'll be made available early next week. Still going over numbers.

Get on that! I want a Morphicon ad up there STAT!

Also, thanks for not using Cafepress.

CyberFoxx

Wait, what?
Hmm, Ads eh... Guess I'll have to add FA to my whitelist of sites to allow Ads on.

Personally, I hate Ads, waste of my bandwidth. But when a site I respect needs the revenue from the Ads, I don't mind them as much.

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
I have nothing against ads, as long as they aren't those annoying-as-fuck flash ads that play a two second clip of a race car engine revving or mosquito buzzing. Those are the reason I installed ABP at all.

imnohbody

Preyfar said:
CaptainSaicin said:
So.... why do we not have an FA Cafepress store yet? (;
Because in my personal opinion Cafepress' quality... sucks.

They also charge a relatively high base cost for what they do produce, which means the individual sellers need to either charge prices more than a few people are unwilling to pay to get a decent profit, or settle for something in the vicinity of "at cost" pricing, and not see a dime for their efforts.

As for the original thread topic, I've not looked at the numbers lately, but ISTR that even the general-public ads run on most web sites are nearly worthless as revenue sources. I know you're not relying solely on ad income, but it seems to me that with the ads being more focused to the site (versus the general public web ads' "idiot's guide to duck hunting" approach ["put a lot of lead into the air, and you're bound to hit something"]) might not be worth the effort, in the long run.

Summercat

Former Motterator
A question, to whom do I poke at to place an ad?

I don't have anything myself yet (Yet. As soon as I get Thiel2020.com up and running, I'll see about that), but I'm thinking that Califur may be interested...

Mendes

I actually think it wouldn't be a bad idea to toss in some Google ads, too, if extra money is needed.

They're not the most attractive ads, but they're not annoying, they load fast, and are usually relevant to the page being viewed.

GenkoKitsu

Silly Snow Fox
Honestly I hadn't noticed that there were ads on here. And that's a good thing! As others have mentioned, when I get some money I might look into buying some space.

Also, please, please, please don't use google ads! Those things slow page loads down to the point where FireFox has given up more then once. Yes they might be unobtrusive and small, but when google's server gets swamped nothing loads :(

How much are you charging for a banner ad? I might pay for a RonPaul2008.com ad

Eevee

Banned
Banned
Janglur said:
Popups and popunders cost double. Let's try to avoid the kind of ads that annoy people the most.
Yeah, uh, over my dead body. I get pissed off at links that open in new windows.

Paul Revere said:
Ron Paul 2008: He Eats Babies And Hates The War, But Hey, The War Really Sucks

EmilAnarchy said:
Paul Revere said:

Dont think thats what they mean by site relevant :?

Luckily, you're not the judge of that.

Eevee said:
Paul Revere said:
Ron Paul 2008: He Eats Babies And Hates The War, But Hey, The War Really Sucks

I thought more money for FA was a good thing.

A

Aquacoon

I wouldn't care for the annoying adds hanging around. Just so long as they don't bring pop ups or are loud and annoying.

But if you guys really need money why not make a cd or something for sale. Like FA could just ask artists for art, and artists could send abunch in, and then it could be compiled into cds, or something.

I dunno. I just don't have money to give to charity right now. So it would be nice if I could contribute some other way. If I find the time maybe I can auction something off and just send all the profit this way. ^^;; Just thinking out loud I suppose.

Emil

Roll Fizzlebeef
Aquacoon said:
I wouldn't care for the annoying adds hanging around. Just so long as they don't bring pop ups or are loud and annoying.

But if you guys really need money why not make a cd or something for sale. Like FA could just ask artists for art, and artists could send abunch in, and then it could be compiled into cds, or something.

I dunno. I just don't have money to give to charity right now. So it would be nice if I could contribute some other way. If I find the time maybe I can auction something off and just send all the profit this way. ^^;; Just thinking out loud I suppose.

If you were evil like DA you (who run FA) could just TAKE their art. That is, if I understood DAs terms right :?

Pinkuh

yeah well, lucky for you artists run FA...

Artists that have been skrewed over before

so no way in hell are we just gonna "Take art" without asking... as far as I am concerned thats like kicking the userbase in the nuts with a stiletto heal >_<

Emil

Roll Fizzlebeef
And I thank yinz for it! Thats why Im here and not there, other than the near furry exclusivity of course :D

Summercat

Former Motterator
Pinkuh said:
yeah well, lucky for you artists run FA...

Artists that have been skrewed over before

so no way in hell are we just gonna "Take art" without asking... as far as I am concerned thats like kicking the userbase in the nuts with a stiletto heal >_<

Which is one reason that, no matter how much I disagree with certain actions that have been taken, I'm not leaving. *chuckles* Hey, I'm Jewish. I have to complain about SOMETHING, right?

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Umm actually DA was started by artists too... that doesn't matter >.<;;;

Rhainor

Rawr.
Eevee said:
Yeah, uh, over my dead body. I get pissed off at links that open in new windows.

Very much agreed. The only time a link I click should open anywhere except "right here" is if I tell it to open in a new tab.

There was an article on Slashdot a while back about the 10 most common flaws/mistakes/dumb things that website designers do that degrade the experience of users; one of the items on the list was using new-window links.

tannim

I wouldn't mind a page with non-relevant ads that is volountarily opened (ads from it would only be on THAT page) that bored furs could go to and click on to suport more. There's always Paid email too, Have fur affinity get an account and let any user use them as a referer. I used to do them(until I got lazy) and made about $30 myself over time with them.

Wolfblade

Paul Revere said:
EmilAnarchy said:
Paul Revere said:

No, but the person who IS the judge of that already said the ads would be site relevant.

Political agendas and propoganda; Left, Right, or whatever, are pretty firmly off-topic for an entertainment-based Art Community.

Summercat

Former Motterator
Wolfblade said:
Paul Revere said:
EmilAnarchy said:
Paul Revere said:

No, but the person who IS the judge of that already said the ads would be site relevant.

Political agendas and propoganda; Left, Right, or whatever, are pretty firmly off-topic for an entertainment-based Art Community.

Wolfblade gets three shiney nekopoints for this one. ^^