• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fur Affinity and Ads

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Rhainor said:
Eevee said:
Yeah, uh, over my dead body. I get pissed off at links that open in new windows.

Very much agreed. The only time a link I click should open anywhere except "right here" is if I tell it to open in a new tab.

There was an article on Slashdot a while back about the 10 most common flaws/mistakes/dumb things that website designers do that degrade the experience of users; one of the items on the list was using new-window links.
Use the middle mouse button to make it open in a new tab? =P

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
I'm glad that still works.

So many designers are using <a href="#" onclick="window.open('http://ass.ad.net/')"> for their ads now...

Lobo Roo

turtles natures suction cups
When I saw the mainsite announcement about the ads, I actually sighed and looked for those tacky ads ("Find your highschool ---!") and when I realized that it meants the furry ads...I was so relieved. Not only do I not mind those, I like knowing what's going on. :)

Rhainor

Rawr.
Preyfar said:
Rhainor said:
Very much agreed. The only time a link I click should open anywhere except "right here" is if I tell it to open in a new tab.

There was an article on Slashdot a while back about the 10 most common flaws/mistakes/dumb things that website designers do that degrade the experience of users; one of the items on the list was using new-window links.
Use the middle mouse button to make it open in a new tab? =P

That's exactly what I do, and is what I meant by "tell it to open in a new tab".

Side note: I also use that to close tabs (middle-click the tab itself), and have the little "close tab" buttons completely turned off.

Eevee

Banned
Banned
Haha, ditto, although I ctrl-w more often. I haven't used the close-tab buttons since early alphas of Fx2.

Wolfblade said:
No, but the person who IS the judge of that already said the ads would be site relevant.
Political agendas and propoganda; Left, Right, or whatever, are pretty firmly off-topic for an entertainment-based Art Community.

Even more so when people think about the fact there are vast numbers of non US viewers. I'll look at an ad for a furry con in the US just because my friends might be going, or because I vaguely wish I had money (mmm, money for cons)...but a US political party? Utterly meaningless, vaguely aggravating, and without even that hint of 'Oh cool, XYZ has organised something there, maybe if I'm in that country one year I can attend'. Heck, I get a vague moment of cognitive dissonance every time I see Fender dressed in heavy clothes when it's 42 C outside, but, hey, at least furry mascot and I know the admins are in the US!

Twile

Mendes said:
I actually think it wouldn't be a bad idea to toss in some Google ads, too, if extra money is needed.

They're not the most attractive ads, but they're not annoying, they load fast, and are usually relevant to the page being viewed.

Ooooh. No Google ads please. I often rant about things, Google ads pick up on the repeated words and figure "Hey! He's talking about this, he might want to buy it!" even though the common words are preceding by phrases like "want to kill anyone who owns a" and "wish to firebomb the twat who designed". It doesn't exactly help my mental state >_>;

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Silverblue said:
Even more so when people think about the fact there are vast numbers of non US viewers. I'll look at an ad for a furry con in the US just because my friends might be going, or because I vaguely wish I had money (mmm, money for cons)...but a US political party?
Heh heh. I wouldn't put a political ad on FA no matter what they offered to pay. That's like *begging* for half the community to revolt.

Unless, of course, the ad was to vote for Colbert/Stewart 2008, y'know, I might consider that. Besides, Colbert is relevant. His show has bears, right? RIGHT?

. . .

Okay, maybe not.

kayedarktail

It's a Trap!
I would be extremely interested in advertising my small furry art critique community. It has a lot of potential but hasn't been very active at all for a few months (largely because it's so hard to get everyone posting just by myself). If I could get some help from a larger site like FA, then it would probably be very good for the fandom in the long run D:

Let us know how you're going to be running these ads as soon as possible plztnx. <3

(PS. those who are interested, the site is http://www.anthroartists.com/ )

Kattywampus

Miss Wampus, if you're nasty
EmilAnarchy said:
If you were evil like DA you (who run FA) could just TAKE their art. That is, if I understood DAs terms right :?

Yup, you understood right. Which is why I never jumped on the deviantart bandwagon. They're like, "All ur copyrites R belong 2 us" etc.

Preyfar said:
Silverblue said:
Even more so when people think about the fact there are vast numbers of non US viewers. I'll look at an ad for a furry con in the US just because my friends might be going, or because I vaguely wish I had money (mmm, money for cons)...but a US political party?
Heh heh. I wouldn't put a political ad on FA no matter what they offered to pay. That's like *begging* for half the community to revolt.

Unless, of course, the ad was to vote for Colbert/Stewart 2008, y'know, I might consider that. Besides, Colbert is relevant. His show has bears, right? RIGHT?

. . .

Okay, maybe not.

Just for the record, an ad for Ron Paul is hardly an ad for any particular US political party. He's running as a Republican, but his views are very anti-establishment.

I get the point about the community being up-in-arms over any sort of political ad, but Colbert? :?

(Colbert is a sick anti-American bastard.)

leeter

HADOKEN!! Solving all Problems
ads amuse me as, as far as I am concerned as long as they don't detract from the site I don't care, mind the fact that I have an altered hosts file means I don't see most of the shoot the monkey types either.

darkdoomer

inkbunny.net supporter
ow i dont care, i use ff+adblock, so yeah, go for ads! :)

Kattywampus said:
EmilAnarchy said:
If you were evil like DA you (who run FA) could just TAKE their art. That is, if I understood DAs terms right :?

Yup, you understood right. Which is why I never jumped on the deviantart bandwagon. They're like, "All ur copyrites R belong 2 us" etc.

what?

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
And FA is obscure enough that they probably won't be.

(Only reason I run AdBlock is noisy Flash ads and pop ups. Since FA's ads are neither of those, I am disinclined to do anything about them.)

Hmm, maybe with the FA store, you could sell user submitted (to the store) work too (in the form of shirts or stickers, or whatever). The art could be considered a donation, and the artist would only get recognition, but recognition in the sense of having donated a design to FA for the betterment of the site.

Well, if it helps the site, then I approve.

Do what you feel is best.

AnonIhmus

I'm totally -for- the ads (as long as theyre not the full-screen page-jacker dealies like dA, omg PLEASE no! o_o) Anything to help FA.

Hey, I don't have much monies, but in regards to this upcoming FA store, if it would be an option I'd love to donate art to be sold there.. with ALL the profits from my art going to FA.
It'd be my way of donating =3

Microsoftt

Hey, I like Cafepress. =< I bought a Yiff! t-shirt and wear it quite often, had it for about a year and it hasn't faded much.

*Adblocks everything.*

J

jayhusky

i belive that the FA ad's are there for good reason and shouldn't be blocked.

*allows FA's ad's*
*swims in adverty goodness*

join the party and let FA live..

Microsoftt

*Adblocks your avatar, then the rest of the Internet.*