• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fur^H^H^HSlow Affinity is slooooooooooooooow

nrr

Member
What's the story on FA being slow this time around?
 

nrr

Member
Ursus_Amplus said:
You're surprised?
Not really. Just curious. And critical.
 

Damaratus

Care to join me in my lab?
I honestly would try and fill you all in, but it would only be further speculation, so I think it would be best to sit back and wait for an update from one of the coding/server gurus. Speculating won't really accomplish anything more than the creation of hearsay.
 

nrr

Member
Damaratus said:
I honestly would try and fill you all in, but it would only be further speculation, so I think it would be best to sit back and wait for an update from one of the coding/server gurus. Speculating won't really accomplish anything more than the creation of hearsay.
Well, Damaratus, you are a lowly moderator. :p

If it isn't your responsibility, I wouldn't worry about it.
 

thoron

Member
I've been awake since 1:30 a.m. and from then till now, at least every time I've checked it's been in admin mode.
 

Zippo

Banned
Banned
yeah whatever they did to it amde it slow, they will fix it eventually. I just hope that Articus that hijacked the admin account didnt screw mine over, and leaves me wondering od the true security of this site and wether its trustworthy anymore or not. Of counre I can just be told to screw myself and go elsewhere if I think the security isnt as good as one might have hoped, it comes with being on the net, but really, something has to be done so that ppl cannot hijack lik ethat. I mean I had access in admin mode once but I had enough sense not to simply take advantage of it like an underhanded person would. ~sigh~ That damn articus, its ppl like that that make us hackers look bad. :/

-Z
 

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
site unlocked, bug fixed.

nrr and you are just a lowly user.
zippono one will say that to you. and there is no such thing as security. nothing in the world is trustworthy.
 

nrr

Member
Litre said:
Stop being mean nrr. ;)
No.
ca358cfbf67399ac2175b63d09e43a5e66975e8d
 

nrr

Member
yak said:
nrr and you are just a lowly user.
Relevance? Or did you just miss the point, yak? :p
 
Zippo said:
yeah whatever they did to it amde it slow, they will fix it eventually. I just hope that Articus that hijacked the admin account didnt screw mine over, and leaves me wondering od the true security of this site and wether its trustworthy anymore or not. Of counre I can just be told to screw myself and go elsewhere if I think the security isnt as good as one might have hoped, it comes with being on the net, but really, something has to be done so that ppl cannot hijack lik ethat. I mean I had access in admin mode once but I had enough sense not to simply take advantage of it like an underhanded person would. ~sigh~ That damn articus, its ppl like that that make us hackers look bad. :/

-Z

them hackers that use IE right 8)
 

Zippo

Banned
Banned
RE:   Fur^H^H^HSlow Affinity is slooooooooooooooow

NightfallGemini said:
Zippo said:
yeah whatever they did to it amde it slow, they will fix it eventually. I just hope that Articus that hijacked the admin account didnt screw mine over, and leaves me wondering od the true security of this site and wether its trustworthy anymore or not. Of counre I can just be told to screw myself and go elsewhere if I think the security isnt as good as one might have hoped, it comes with being on the net, but really, something has to be done so that ppl cannot hijack lik ethat. I mean I had access in admin mode once but I had enough sense not to simply take advantage of it like an underhanded person would.  ~sigh~ That damn articus, its ppl like that that make us hackers look bad. :/

-Z

them hackers that use IE right 8)

Ha! *hugs* :3

-Z
 

Wolfie

Member
nrr said:
yak said:
nrr and you are just a lowly user.
Relevance? Or did you just miss the point, yak? :p

Ooh! *raises hand

I see the relevance! :D

You were being disrespectful to Damaratus, someone I've NEVER seen be disrespectful for no reason to anyone on here, so yak was disrespectful back to you.

Maybe it's relevant because it doesn't make sense to let users be rude to the people who are keeping this place going.

And Damaratus has been nothing but a good example of a mod from what I've seen, so there's really no reason at all for you to speak to him that way :3

Thanks yak, for standing up for your fellow staffmember, thats part of what being a team is all about! :D
 

nrr

Member
Wolfie said:
You were being disrespectful to Damaratus, someone I've NEVER seen be disrespectful for no reason to anyone on here, so yak was disrespectful back to you.
Um, no? He's stepping above the call of duty as a forums administrator by offering to speculate and do something that isn't his responsibility. I was humbling him by reminding him of his position. I got bit by that too often professionally, and I'd hate to see Damaratus succumb to the same sort of thing.

Wolfie said:
Maybe it's relevant because it doesn't make sense to let users be rude to the people who are keeping this place going.
Tell that to restaurant managers. Tell that to CSMs at Wal*Mart. Tell that to anyone working in hospitality, retail, clerical, or customer service. They have to put up with trivial nonsense all the time from people, and they cannot lift a single finger against a customer or client without fear of major repercussions.

Back in my restaurant days, I couldn't kick a guest out for creating a scene or for giving one of the waitstaff a hard time without being written up or fired. I could, however, do what I do best: tell the guest that I had considered and subsequently denied for them a discount or a QSA on a meal.

You folks might like everything sugar coated, but I'll be damned if I'm letting your teeth rot out any more than they already have from your high-fructose-laden soft drinks and your cream-filled pastries. I tell things like they are. Don't like it? Either don't read what I have written, or motion to get me banned so far off the face of FA that any packets even remotely smelling like they came from my end of the Internet end up getting routed to some null location in the World Wide Bit Bucket(tm).
 

Damaratus

Care to join me in my lab?
nrr said:
Um, no? He's stepping above the call of duty as a forums administrator by offering to speculate and do something that isn't his responsibility. I was humbling him by reminding him of his position. I got bit by that too often professionally, and I'd hate to see Damaratus succumb to the same sort of thing.

Actually, I simply wanted to keep others from speculating. If you noticed, I made no actual speculation myself. I said I'd like to fill you in, but I didn't know what was going on. Which is why I asked people to wait. I think it's only fair to try and make sure that hearsay doesn't get out of hand on the forums while people are waiting for an accurate response from someone who can give it.
 

nobuyuki

Member
nrr said:
Back in my restaurant days, I couldn't kick a guest out for creating a scene or for giving one of the waitstaff a hard time without being written up or fired. I could, however, do what I do best: tell the guest that I had considered and subsequently denied for them a discount or a QSA on a meal.

oh man, speaking of. I was like at bennigans the other day, and they ran out of fish batter, so the dude who ordered the shit was pissed and asked what was gonna be free with his meal. He was being a real dick about it, so I started discussing it with my family like he wasn't even there. Then I was like "Waitress, I ordered medium. This burger is overdone. Take it back, and this time... cook it a little less." -- my family was all cracking up by now and I knew that dickhole was totally feeling karma that night.

edit: I remembered that I actually said, "cook it a little rarer", which would imply that it was the same burger and not a new burger. I knew something sounded wrong when I was recapping this story!
 

Wolfie

Member
nrr said:
Um, no? He's stepping above the call of duty as a forums administrator by offering to speculate and do something that isn't his responsibility. I was humbling him by reminding him of his position. I got bit by that too often professionally, and I'd hate to see Damaratus succumb to the same sort of thing.

Damaratus is more than capable of handling himself. Your 'special' brand of input is really not needed. I'm pretty sure he's aware of what he can and cannot do. He's just trying to be helpful is all.

nrr said:
Tell that to restaurant managers. Tell that to CSMs at Wal*Mart. Tell that to anyone working in hospitality, retail, clerical, or customer service. They have to put up with trivial nonsense all the time from people, and they cannot lift a single finger against a customer or client without fear of major repercussions.

Back in my restaurant days, I couldn't kick a guest out for creating a scene or for giving one of the waitstaff a hard time without being written up or fired. I could, however, do what I do best: tell the guest that I had considered and subsequently denied for them a discount or a QSA on a meal.

You folks might like everything sugar coated, but I'll be damned if I'm letting your teeth rot out any more than they already have from your high-fructose-laden soft drinks and your cream-filled pastries. I tell things like they are. Don't like it? Either don't read what I have written, or motion to get me banned so far off the face of FA that any packets even remotely smelling like they came from my end of the Internet end up getting routed to some null location in the World Wide Bit Bucket(tm).

Dude, this is an internet forum. This isn't WalMart. :p

You're such a drama monger. Jeezum. ^^;
 

nrr

Member
Damaratus said:
If you noticed, I made no actual speculation myself.
I did notice, and that was a very cool thing. I'm not disputing this by implying at all that you had speculated.

Damaratus said:
I said I'd like to fill you in, but I didn't know what was going on. Which is why I asked people to wait.
Ehh, even then, the situation can get out of hand, even with something potentially as disastrous as this. It really is a lot better just to stay quiet about it.

There are a number of folks lurking around here who, I'm thinking, are pretty hot to assume that anyone with a name colored differently is apt to know something. A phrase along the lines of, "It's better to sit quietly and maintain doubt of your own incapacities than to speak and remove all aforementioned doubt," really does fit here.
 

Damaratus

Care to join me in my lab?
nrr said:
There are a number of folks lurking around here who, I'm thinking, are pretty hot to assume that anyone with a name colored differently is apt to know something. A phrase along the lines of, "It's better to sit quietly and maintain doubt of your own incapacities than to speak and remove all aforementioned doubt," really does fit here.

I guess I considered differently, I think that I'm more than apt at dealing with this situation, it's why I choose what I say carefully (thought I know that I am prone to error). I do understand your point, though I think you could have put things a little differently then calling me a "lowly moderator", the least I can do is garner some respect from the users, right?
 

nrr

Member
Damaratus said:
I do understand your point, though I think you could have put things a little differently then calling me a "lowly moderator", the least I can do is garner some respect from the users, right?
It's pretty accurate, comparatively speaking, with regard to how your rank relates to the administrators proper. Yes, I may've been a bit crass or condescending, and for that I do apologize. However, I do still maintain that what I said was, for all intents and purposes, accurate.

Nevertheless, do rest assured; you are IMHO one of the few level-headed folks behind this operation.

Also, man, take what I say with a grain of salt or interpret it with some sort of scientific or statistical accuracy. Life is just so much simpler that way. :)
 
Top