• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FUR, MATERIALS, AND TUTORIALS: A LIST FOR NEW FURSUIT MAKERS

Chinona

Northwest/Marshall's Fabrics Might be useful under the fabrics in Canada... It doesn't have the locations that the others do (Only three stores two in Alberta one in Manitoba)... however you can get TOP quality fur there for about half the price of say Fabricland - I found 3 inch white pile with one way stretch there for $16.00 (compared to $25.00 WITH a membership discount at Fabricland on 3" white pile with no stretch)

Derpbear

What's wrong with wonderflex exactly? I can understand it not holding up to wear-and-tear, but to nix it entirely seems silly to me, especially if it's just a base. I've used it coated in other things.

Dose any have a pattern to make Cheetah ears. I'm going to learn how to make my own ears. I know how to make cat/fox ears but, I don't know how to make round ears. I have not seen a pattern for the round ears. I will be making ths to clip them in my hair.

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
What's wrong with wonderflex exactly? I can understand it not holding up to wear-and-tear, but to nix it entirely seems silly to me, especially if it's just a base. I've used it coated in other things.

Wonderflex is an item that is highly heat sensitive and there are easily many situations where heads built with such material can take damage. That said the listing here is meant to be a guide for people to use materials that are generally safe to use and will offer the least issues. Wonderflex is not something everyone can work with and shouldn't be used to build fur suit heads.

CaeTheSly

Disheartening to see the link of what to do/not do calling people on these forums "twats" because they poorly construct suits.... Really disheartening both for a newbie like myself and a poor reflection on the community IMO.

Coywolf

Deo,

You might want to add the fact that fiberglass has a god awful smell to it as well. So if anyone was trying to use it in private, probably not the best option the smell gets everywhere. ( I have used it in the past, not friendly material )

Once the resin cures it does not smell, but that can take some time.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard

Worbla, you could probably get away with since it's a durable material. Wonderflex is a thinner gauge(And slightly more expensive) than worbla and you'd have to layer 2-3 sheets just to make sure it holds up.

Y

YokoHellsing

Thank you for the awesome Random Tut, Making my first furSuit...I'm kinda scared/ Excited about making this. I hope it well turn out pretty darn good
:grin:

alliedforce34

Which one sells better fake seal fur? mendels.com or crscraft.com. I can't order samples (shipping costs too high to where I live).

Pugsly

I'll be making a French Bulldog fursuit . I chose this as it is simple to do with not much Plastic Canvas ^^ Do you foam on the detail? Like add layers of foam for wrinkles ect

Whitefire

First of all, Thanks for this thread. It has helped a lot. My question however is that there doesn't seem to be a lot about actually making the body suits. What do people use for the liner and how do people plan the paterns in the fur itself. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed.

~WF

ColorfullCute

I think you need to update some of these links....
Like the how to make a duct tape dummy. I am having the hardest part on the dummy so it makes me kinda sad the link dose not work

Max the Fox

The head tutorials seem to be about making your own fursuit heads from scratch. Are there any good tutorials that will help me make a fursuit head using the Stuffed Panda Studios resin base?

Cerberus326

Ok I think this is the right area to ask this.i am new at this well not site nor fur talk n stuff.but making one . I wanted to make everything my self got down to the glueing part of the fur on to the body ..pick out fur which was I'd say about four inches long wolf fur which was white. No problem drew my Peace's on cut out the whole shoobang. Well I was afraid of the hot glue being used on it because it might stick to the fur n I'd have to shave it off or clip some of it out ... Well the ladies at the fabric place told me after explaining it to them what is was doing and they gave me a side option of this silicone base glue you can put a small thin layer down and lay the fur on and still be able to move it for a few minutes before you can't which I was like that's fine will it stick to fur if I had it on my fingers ..no they replied will good deal I thought...so I get some Peace's glued and right where they need to be I walk out of the room for half the day n came back to what I was doing and noticed the damn glue seeped throw the back of the fur and basically clumped up inside of fine fine hair of the fur n harden it in many areas...I was like wtf. Now have to start everything n I mean everything over it was that bad. What can I do to make it better plus not have this happen again cuz I payed like 500 for this stuff and I'm pissed .?!?