• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fur suit?

So, I'd like to creat my own fursuit rather than buying one and therefore have questions to pose:

1. how do I go about making the body? would it be better to skip the body suite and just make arms and legs (though I would enjoy a body suit)?

2. what type of material? seeing as how i am a golden dragon, fur wont really work, but, i have a feeling a suite made out of a smooth material might wind up looking quite, well, stupid IMO

... I'll probably think of more q's later.. thanks for your input!

*Edit* new question:

How about horns, teeth and claws? ive heard sculpty is good but its soooo freaking expencive, what would be a cheaper alternative?

RE: Fur suite?

my main concern is the material, i'm sure I can find tutirials somewhere online

*Edits*

alright i'll probably get in trouble for not posting this in the tutorial thread but heres some helpful links:

Pretty much everyting you need to know:

http://www.fursuit.info/

Another good looking one, with pics!:

http://bladespark.topcities.com/costume/makehead.html

Well, i haven't made a fursuit, but i do competiton cosplaying at anime conventions.  A few of the things i made from scratch did invlove full body suits though.  So, i have some questions for you.  What are you willing to put up with and what look are you going for?  Did you want a loose suit or a tight one?  Are you willing to wear fabrics that don't breathe?  ECT.  As a golden dragon standard fur fabrics don't really work, so there's alot to be played with.

I was also looking at the threads you posted, but they seem to be all based in furry and feathery animals, not scalies.

Edit-
I am actually planning out a fursuit for my fursona (or should i say scalesuit and scalesona?). It's hard with a snake because i have to create the optical illusion that i have no feet and slither... @.@

Ruiner

Fur Suite?

What, like a plush hotel room?

I kid, I kid.

lol. I was wondering about that myself when i saw this thread, but we all know what was intended. ^.^

Gah! bad spelling! bad! go to your room!

Edits: fixed

Siluren Nagina said:
Well, i haven't made a fursuit, but i do competiton cosplaying at anime conventions. A few of the things i made from scratch did invlove full body suits though. So, i have some questions for you. What are you willing to put up with and what look are you going for? Did you want a loose suit or a tight one? Are you willing to wear fabrics that don't breathe? ECT. As a golden dragon standard fur fabrics don't really work, so there's alot to be played with.

I was also looking at the threads you posted, but they seem to be all based in furry and feathery animals, not scalies.

Edit-
I am actually planning out a fursuit for my fursona (or should i say scalesuit and scalesona?). It's hard with a snake because i have to create the optical illusion that i have no feet and slither... @.@

Yeah, these tutorials are not kind to those of us with no fur :(

I think I'm going to make a looser suit, a tight suit would not be kind to my um... body type :p I chose a material (sadly, there was only 1 good gold fabric that suited my needs, but its working fine ^.=.^)

and that'll be in interesting thing if you can figure out how to do that illusion!

foxkun

Siluren Nagina said:

Rollerskates hidden under the suit and a bit of a bulge in front to hide them. That way you'd swish like slithering!

I want to make a dragonsuit at some point, but not sure on materials yet. Although crayola makes this awesome air drying clay that's extremely light weight. I think it's called modeling magic, you can find it at most crafty stores. You just let it sit overnight and it dries, but if you're making something pointy I don't know if it's durable enough to use for claws. Unless they were reinforced somehow.

I know of a sparkly cloth you can find in most craft stores that's gold spotted that could work for scaleprint, it's really thin though so wouldn't work for a single layer... well, maybe. I think it's kinda spandexy. Depends on how much ya wanna show off.

foxkun said:
Siluren Nagina said:

Rollerskates hidden under the suit and a bit of a bulge in front to hide them. That way you'd swish like slithering!

I want to make a dragonsuit at some point, but not sure on materials yet. Although crayola makes this awesome air drying clay that's extremely light weight. I think it's called modeling magic, you can find it at most crafty stores. You just let it sit overnight and it dries, but if you're making something pointy I don't know if it's durable enough to use for claws. Unless they were reinforced somehow.
I'm using that! it works great... doesn't make *really* pointy parts, but it works good, its really light weight and a little bit spongy once dried, its called "Model Magic" but for whatever reason, wal-mart dosn't sell it :/ oh well toys r us does ^.=.^ ....i should post links to the mask I've nearly finished making...

aru

For claws, I'd honestly use sculpey PREMO. It's a little more lenient with its flexibility and durability. :3

Oh, and here's an idea for if you make your suit; When you look at most animals, they've got two main things that make their skin look like it does. Texture and the slight changes in their skin's pigment. It sounds silly, but once you get your fabric, try aging it a bit. Maybe take an airbrush or sponge and pick watered-down paints (close to your original color) and play with it.

I'd test it out on small scrap pieces first, though.

aru said:
For claws, I'd honestly use sculpey PREMO. It's a little more lenient with its flexibility and durability. :3

Oh, and here's an idea for if you make your suit; When you look at most animals, they've got two main things that make their skin look like it does. Texture and the slight changes in their skin's pigment. It sounds silly, but once you get your fabric, try aging it a bit. Maybe take an airbrush or sponge and pick watered-down paints (close to your original color) and play with it.

I'd test it out on small scrap pieces first, though.

Yeah I've thought of sculpey, but the only place i can find it is in a huge box for $60... its a bit steep for ten little claws...

thats a good idea about the aging, i never even thought of that *ponders*

aru

D: Whoa. Pricey.

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/003/group_id/147/Sculpey-Premo-Premium-Polymer-Clay.htm

I found a site that sells it cheaper. I don't know about the shipping, but overall it shouldn't be too bad.

There are places that sell replica claws and teeth. These are based on actual animal claws, so it might work quite well.
I'm looking up the name of the place I've always used, I'm having a brain fart and can't rem.
For a snakie costume.. how about having a sleeve style(dress) that goes to your feet(floor) and letting it trail behind you? You would padd it around your thighs, and pad it into a curve behind you... I'll try to draw up a rough sketch in paint.