• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FurAffinity and Image Quality

spoonful-of-jam

Hey everyone! I'm really sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on maintaining image quality when uploading art to FA? Ever since I first joined the site last fall I've noticed that when I upload stuff, there's often a VERY noticeable drop in image quality, like the original image looks super crisp and clean but on FA it looks fairly blurry. This is in spite of the fact that I never post anything larger than the 1280x1280 pixel limit, and my file sizes are always way below the 10MB limit. I understand that there's always gonna be some loss of quality when uploading an image to a website, but I swear I've seen plenty of other artists here upload things that always look super crisp and clean. I also don't tend to have this issue when I upload to other sites like Deviantart. Am I doing something wrong? The images I upload are JPEGS (although I've tried re-uploading blurry images as PNGs and it didn't help) saved at 100% quality, and when I finish any digital artwork I export it as a JPEG instead of saving it as a JPEG, as I've heard this can help maintain quality.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
What web browser and device are you using, out of curiosity?
I believe if you upload it as JPG or PNG it will come out clearer, but it could be an issue outside of the site.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
I'm using the latest version of Google Chrome, and I'm using a Macbook Pro.

When I look at your FA they don't seem blurry to me.
This is what I see...
Source: https://www.furaffinity.net/view/41589434 [NSFW warning for others]

Capture.JPG

Are you seeing something different? If so, could you show us?
And since the tech nerd in me is rambling; out of curiosity, have you tried opening FA on a different web browser to test if it's a Browser issue?

spoonful-of-jam

When I look at your FA they don't seem blurry to me.
This is what I see...

Are you seeing something different? If so, could you show us?
And since the tech nerd in me is rambling; out of curiosity, have you tried opening FA on a different web browser to test if it's a Browser issue?
It seems to affect some images more than others. Like look at my most recent upload (Munching Megan's Muff), and look at how much blurrier and lower quality the uploaded image looks than the clearer version that you get when you click "download". Like is that normal?

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
It seems to affect some images more than others. Like look at my most recent upload (Munching Megan's Muff), and look at how much blurrier and lower quality the uploaded image looks than the clearer version that you get when you click "download". Like is that normal?

If there's a loss in quality, it's very minimal and I'm not able to really see it too much while staring at both side by side.

Capture.JPG

Then again, I am nearsighted. I think that the best you could do is to just experiment with saving and exporting different file types and see what comes out the best via scraps before officially changing the submission file. If you export it as a PNG that might also help, since compressing it to a file it wasn't exported or saved at might have caused a loss in quality.

spoonful-of-jam

If there's a loss in quality, it's very minimal and I'm not able to really see it too much while staring at both side by side.

Then again, I am nearsighted. I think that the best you could do is to just experiment with saving and exporting different file types and see what comes out the best via scraps before officially changing the submission file. If you export it as a PNG that might also help, since compressing it to a file it wasn't exported or saved at might have caused a loss in quality.
Really? It looks SO low quality to me, but maybe that's cause I'm the one who drew it so I've seen the original Photoshop file before I exported it to a jpeg, which is always gonna look better than an exported version. Maybe the solution is trying to figure out how to maximize image quality when I export something from a drawing program.

That's a great idea to experiment with uploading via scraps though, so I'll do that. Thank you!

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage