• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

"Furaffinity will not be up tonight (that is, Monday)" discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Science Fox

Alien/Robot Rights Activist
The sun will rise and tomrrow will come, no matter the pleads of the night, the tears of the moon, nor the strength in the crow's swears.

talakestreal

The Laconic Draconic
*rolls her eyes* dear gods, this thread was more drama and angsty whining than I ever want to wade through again.

That being said, I have but one word to say, about all of this. Besides the obligatory wish for all the people working on getting FA to feel better, get some sleep, or at least get so smashed that the whiny complaints don't even upset them in the least.

I say this. Because it has been down so long already, more downtime is not unexpected, and will simply be looked at as another bump in the road.

MEH.

That is all I can say. MEH.

LadyMissie

I wasn't really affected by this for a while but now even I'm waiting for FA to get back up and running. While I might be a little... aggravated over it I'm not completely mad over either.

I will suggest something though although it might have been brought up in the 20+ pages I decided not to read.

If FA is getting this much traffic why not just go ahead and make it part paysite for those who can afford it? It can still be free for those who don't have the money or are too young to work yet but at least the site might have some kind of income instead of waiting on donations and out of pocket experience to get running again when something this big happens. If you start to charge, it doesn't even have to be much considering all who visit this site, you'll be able to afford to have more professional people come in and work on keeping the site up and running. If something goes wrong Yak won't have to stay up for two days strait to fix something that will push him over a deadline that he set for himself.

It just seems that it would be a lot less hassle for everyone if FA just sucked it up and created premium accounts. DeviantArt has had this for a while and when was the last time they went down?

Face it. FA has become so big now and to deny it the right to become bigger in order to hold all it's traffic is not smart. If we get bigger things like this will only get worse. If it gets too big and FA admins refuse to charge.. well it might just as well shut down.

Suck it up admins. I say charge for removing adds and maybe some little extras here and there. If you don't I don't see this site getting better. Only worse.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
"Trust me, there wasn't a day at that convention that I wasn't asked about the site or concerned about it."
All FA staff who were present were concerned. I was checking up on the site and the forums almost on the hour, checking to make sure everything was alright, doing what I can.

We planned FA: United out for over a year, to abandon it and the hundreds of people who came would be horrible. The site was in good hands. I trust yak more than I do most, and he was working diligently on it. The final delay came in the form of Bahamut finally biting itself in the ass (if I'd only have known...).

For yak, though... I'm planning something special for him. :) More than any other staffer in FA history, he's earned his keep and deserves to be rewarded.

Adelio Altomar

Rat-Sized Superiority Complex
I've got 19 hours, 5 minutes and 31 seconds left on my timer that I started so it'll go off twenty four hours from that time. :p

seadog-driftwood

Proto-Indo-European Bard
I just got back from the colo moments ago. While we are still slated to get the site online ASAP once yak recovers. We are not talking days, weeks or months in addition here, people. Everything's just about ready to go. Yak just wants to be online and fully rested before he fires it up so that if anything does go wrong he can be there to hammer it out.

In addition, we found out Bahamut server officially shit itself over the course of the weekend. Which is good, because we were able to pull all of the data off of the server and migrate it over. Bahamut server is currently sitting on my kitchen table. We're gonna going to try to rig it up and pull everything off if it we can just as an additional backup.

The timing of getting Trogdor online was just in the nick of time. =)

o_O ... Nick of time is right!

And in future years, may it indeed be celebrated as Yak Day, although hopefully not under the same circumstances!

Wolf_Fox_Guy

Cant think up a custom title
So how's everyone hanging lol

I would keep my head down, folks have been getting extra mean with a side of nasty in here. tis really a shame that issues cant be discussed and resolved through calm debate. anyway, yeah, gotten rough at times.

Wolf_Fox_Guy

Cant think up a custom title
I just got back from the colo moments ago. While we are still slated to get the site online ASAP once yak recovers. We are not talking days, weeks or months in addition here, people. Everything's just about ready to go. Yak just wants to be online and fully rested before he fires it up so that if anything does go wrong he can be there to hammer it out.

In addition, we found out Bahamut server officially shit itself over the course of the weekend. Which is good, because we were able to pull all of the data off of the server and migrate it over. Bahamut server is currently sitting on my kitchen table. We're gonna going to try to rig it up and pull everything off if it we can just as an additional backup.

The timing of getting Trogdor online was just in the nick of time. =)

ph ph ph........and if it has problems, maybe you can canabalize the server adn use it to hook up all teh gadgets in your kitchen. that way not only can your toaster toast your bread, but it will also have a digital image of teh toast saved for future toast analysis

SDWolf

Habitually Lurking Lupine
I'm disgusted by half the posts in this thread. Honestly, you're going to berate people because they missed a deadline? Let's think here - FA is a non-profit entity. They operate on donations, and they've done a good job showing where the money is going. However, Microsoft is a major technology corporation. How many deadlines do they miss per software life-cycle?

I'm seeing a pattern here though. It seems that a lot of you are ignorant to both technology and business. Let's start with the first - Just because we all refer to them as "servers" or "computers", doesn't mean they all run the same. Software, especially software developed on a single server without much cross-platform or cross-configuration testing, can require extensive reconfiguring and even rewriting when introducing new hardware or system configurations. It's not a simple matter of "A'wight Chuck! Fire'r up! YEEEEHAWWWWW" So get off that bandwagon before you make a fool of yourself. (Well, for the next time.)

On that, deadlines in technology are often sketchy. Given that these admins, as stated before and as PROVEN in their efforts, only want to give back to US - the fanbase - what they know we desire... they set an optimistic deadline. What, do you think for a second that they, too, felt no disappointment when FA wasn't up in all it's glory today? Are you THAT ignorant?

Going into business - FA doesn't charge for the service it provides, unlike some alternatives. Has any of you thought of this in all your ranting? Donations are not the same as a subscription fee. Now, you want to hire someone to do work on FA - okay... how? Are YOU offering to donate a consistant amount to pay for a salary developer? Or would you be willing to shell out on a contract one? Besides that, once again your ignorance is shining through here. You're basically saying that these admins and developers aren't good enough. That yak, who devoted 48 hours of his time - straight - isn't up to par for FA. I think you need to think less about yourselves, and your starving addiction to furry art, and more for those who are doing what they can to bring us the service we love and enjoy.

Oh, one more thing - if you're going to complain about the software development, I think you ought to qualify yourself some. Me? I'm well versed in PHP, all the .NET varieties, JAVA, C++ as well as C, among others that I've meddled with. I've set up and administered over a dozen "Internet Services" configurations (by that I mean a low-scale server designed to handle db, web, mail, and file for a small-sized project). I also had the pleasure of being a volunteer technician (and only technician) for a VDS hosting site (VDS = virtually dedicated server). I speak with years of experience backing me up. What do you have?
Best reply in this whole thread.

Missed deadlines happen to the best of us. Anyone who claims to have never missed a deadline is simply full of it. I'm sure no one is more frustrated at this point than the admins themselves. In short, give the deadline thing a rest.

Regarding the donations, virtually all of that went to the servers and associated hardware. To those saying they should hire someone to work on the code, good luck with that. No coder would take on a job that would only last a week or two, and certainly not for the amount FA could afford to pay them. And to those furs who keep saying, "Oh, I'd do it," I highly doubt that. Why? Because you're most likely (a) not local to the servers, (b) not as familiar with the software FA's running as you think you are, (c) not willing to do it for the amount FA can afford to pay you (which is likely to be close to zero), or (d) you have RL commitments (job, school, etc) that won't allow you to devote the time necessary to the job.

Also, it would take hours, maybe days, for a new coder to familiarize themselves with FA's code (which, despite Yak's saintliness, is most likely poorly documented and has few comment blocks). It would probably take longer for some outside coder to figure out the code than it would for the admins to continue to work on it themselves.

Also, keep in mind that FA does not have a paid staff, and what little income FA has mostly goes to bandwidth and related hosting costs. All of the admins take time out of their free time to do the work they do for free. Yes, these people are working their asses off for us, for free. Yak. Forty-eight hours. Free. Show some gratitude and respect.

Yes, I'm disappointed that the site's still down, and that the relaunch has been delayed again. But, these things happen, and I'm glad the admins are bothering to work on it at all, as anyone else would have simply washed their hands of it, not taken donations, and shut it down for good. Wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.

More than that, I'm disappointed by the sheer ugliness people are displaying in this thread, from both 'sides' of this mess. Seriously, you people should be ashamed of yourselves.

Thanks Preyfar, Yak, and everyone else for all your hard work, and good luck! :)

Last edited:

akun

C K Y
I've been doing nothing but soul calibur and rock band for 2 1/2 days straight. Well, that and work. Wired. Going to gym tomorrow morning. Underwater endurance training. God, I'm fat. When are my classes starting back up?

No sleep no FA make akun go something something...

Houshou

FEAR TEH SMALL DEATH!
Holy Shit...

Listen up. Delays and Dates getting pushed back are 'Good things'.
*No they're not. You're just a dumb asshole who doesn't understand!*

Look, if everything came out at exactly when it was first announced almost everything we know today, would suck ass! I'm going to use The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess as a good example. It was announced to be released on Game Cube first. But then, it got pushed back. Delayed yet again, and for a couple years...everyone was awaiting this new game in this great series. What do you think would have happened if it had been launched on its original launch date? Would it have been one of the best Zelda games since the originals and OoT?

How about movies? Who hasn't heard of a movie getting delayed? and in the end wasn't the delay worth it? I bet half of the movies out today have been delayed in their release in some small way. And I bet that without those delays, they wouldn't be nearly as good as they are.

My point is, have some freaking patience. One should expect delays and set backs, that way you can be surprised and enjoy things when its not. And Delays and Set Backs only make things that much better.

Jarz

I dont know if this is the right forum to post this... but... what will people do when FA will be up? (this has been bugging me lately)

maxgoof

I dunno why people can't look at the brighter side of things...

Because we have been let down. Again.

Our target is July 21st, unless something happens.
Oops.
Okay, our target is July 24th, unless something happens.
Oops.
Okay, July 28th, unless something happens.
Oops.
Okay, August 4th, unless something happens.
Oops.

falderal

its already started :D

And how :)

This is absurd. The whole thing is absurd.

I don't get it. What's to gain by setting a deadline when you know you're not going to make it? You just piss people off and make them feel like they were stupid for believing in you.

Apparently, it doesn't pay to trust you, Dragoneer and Co.

So, what's the new deadline? A week? A month? A couple months? A freakin' year? What's it gonna take to get the damn website online again?

From what little experience I have working in an information technology field, you tell people when it will be up and then you don't tell people when it's up and you tell them 'we're working on it' and they still get ticked off. People want it <explicative> now. They don't care if in the effort of getting it up ******* it could possibly **** it up even more because folks are running on two days with no sleep and bad caffeine and we all know lack of sleep can lead to mistakes. I've worked for twenty hours on a slow shift and I was ready to die then not to mention nodding off when I had four hours left. So, give them a break.

Armaetus

Nazis, Communists and Antifa don't belong on FA
Another day without FA...big deal. I have my own things to occupy myself when the lovely service FA is provided by Dragoneer out of his OWN POCKETS.

@Complainers: Don't you have anything else to whine to? Why don't you write it on your blog instead of clogging up the forums with stuff like this? The way some of you are acting is disgraceful....it's only a website!

Go outside, hang with friends, play video games, watch TV/movies, etc....do something besides complaining about FA because it missed a deadline :x

http://www.furryartpile.com/view/58126/ - Yea, that's real mature, Friskywoods.. :x

reallydude

Another day without FA...big deal. I have my own things to occupy myself when the lovely service FA is provided by Dragoneer out of his OWN POCKETS.

@Complainers: Don't you have anything else to whine to? Why don't you write it on your blog instead of clogging up the forums with stuff like this? The way some of you are acting is disgraceful....it's only a website!

Go outside, hang with friends, play video games, watch TV/movies, etc....do something besides complaining about FA because it missed a deadline :x

http://www.furryartpile.com/view/58126/ - Yea, that's real mature, Friskywoods.. :x

This is an entirely new and original opinion, and I have changed my views accordingly. Who cares about a lousy $17,000? Mere pocket change to me!

maxgoof

"Be grateful I'm giving you audience tomorrow, instead of TWENTY YEARS!! *FLASH*BOOM*FLASH*BOOM*FLASH*BOOM*FLASH*BOOM* Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

It may be only a website, but it is the only website I know of that allows the posting of musical clips.

Status
Not open for further replies.