• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Furries and depression.

Have you ever been depressed? If so were you depressed when you joined the fandom?

• No I have never been depressed.

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Yes I have been depressed(self diagnosed) in the past but not while joining the fandom.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • Yes I have been depressed(self diagnosed) and I joined the fandom during this time.

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Yes I have been depressed(diagnosed) in the past but not while joining the fandom.

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • Yes I have been depressed(diagnosed) and I joined the fandom during this time.

Votes: 14 19.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trichloromethane

Has caved to peer pressure.
Regarding the original question, I doubt the incidence of clinical depression among people who somehow self-identify as "furry" is statistically any higher than the general population.

I'd actually like to see a proper statistic on that but all the self diagnoses would skew it. (I assume)

Last edited:

Heimdal

has a sexy learning disability
There's history, there's psicology, there's art, there's a community...

Hobbies have all those things, and are no stranger to being a subculture.

I think the term that is being aimed at is "extremist." If someone is gung-ho about the fandom without any rational evaluation as to why, they'd be foolish. If they're new, fine, excitement does that.. eventually they'll calm down and their brain will function again. If they're not new, then they're likely on a path of self-destruction, as anything to it's extreme is bad.

On topic, I'd wager that extremists of anything are more prone to depression due to the unnecessary importance they place on their hobby. Considering that furries would sooner rise up against criticism than develop from it, I would guess that it does lead to more depressed extremists.

I'd actually like to see a proper statistic on that but all the self diagnoses would skew it.

I would think the way to get around any self diagnosis skewing results would be to only consider data from those people who self-identify as "furry" and have sought professional help for depression. To me, it would stand to reason that if there is any link between being "furry" and being clinically depressed then a lot of so-called "furries" would identify their "furriness" as one of or the root cause of their depression. The one factor that could skew results is the fact that most "furries" are teenagers and some could misidentify "furriness" as the cause of their depression when the real reason could be hormonal or some other more common factor. I would think a professional would be able to spot the real cause in those cases. I still think the results would not be any worse than for the general population at large.

phoenixfurry

to tell you the truth, I was depressed a lot before the fandom. Since I started getting into the fandom (a good year ago), I haven't been depressed as much, and since I started socializing with other furries online (mostly FA), I haven't been depressed at all. I don't know if they are related, but it sure gets my mind off of a lot of things.
i think it has a lot to do with self esteem ,now i'm here with other furry fans i feel much better :)

Catilda Lily

May all your bacon burn.
I have been depressed before but I learned to hide it until it goes away.

aiden749

I'm pretty sure everyone gets depressed from time to time, as I know I do.

I believe it's something that makes or breaks us though. When we get depressed it's because there's something missing or wrong in our lives, so either the depression helps us by fixing the problem and we lose the feelings, or we sink and get dragged by the depression.

So in a manner, being a furry can help or worsen any preconceived or developing depression based on whether the person feels that being a furry is a freeing experience or something that makes them happy, or they may view that being a furry is an awkward thing or that it may give anxiety as some people have expressed.

Maisuki

In my case, it's more of a biological thing. My mom's side has a history of depression, so it got passed down to me. Fortunaely, they have medicine for depression so I'm good now. =D

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
If a furry was depressed for being a furry, I would be very worried about their sanity....

maria-mar

http://forums.furaffinity.net/members/34068-HeimdalHeimdal, you are not one to decide if furry is a hobby or a subculture. It seems pretty obvious by the different opinions expressed in many places, that people have different takes on it, and so, that for some is just a hobby and for others is a lifestyle. And don't go calling me extremist for seeing it differently than you, if you don't even know how it is a lifestyle for me... please don't put labels on people.

On topic again, I'm curious to see the poll results :)

Heimdal

has a sexy learning disability
http://forums.furaffinity.net/members/34068-HeimdalHeimdal, you are not one to decide if furry is a hobby or a subculture. It seems pretty obvious by the different opinions expressed in many places, that people have different takes on it, and so, that for some is just a hobby and for others is a lifestyle. And don't go calling me extremist for seeing it differently than you, if you don't even know how it is a lifestyle for me... please don't put labels on people.

Actually I let the dictionary decide, and it's both. As well, I didn't call you an extremist; if you fit it anyways, it's your own problem.

Note: eating garbage is also a lifestyle thing.

Deo

The hatred of FAF personified
Heimdal, you are not one to decide if furry is a hobby or a subculture. It seems pretty obvious by the different opinions expressed in many places, that people have different takes on it, and so, that for some is just a hobby and for others is a lifestyle. And don't go calling me extremist for seeing it differently than you, if you don't even know how it is a lifestyle for me... please don't put labels on people.

On topic again, I'm curious to see the poll results :)
[video=youtube;aiffTsdullc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiffTsdullc[/video]

Dass

public class Dass
I added a poll. Feel free to criticize it.

"Presently depressed" and "joined then became depressed" aren't options. Both apply to me. I'm pretty sure it's completely unrelated, though. Mother's side apparently has a history with depression. That plus having Asperger's probably doesn't help. It's self-diagnosed at this stage, but my mom's planning on getting a professional opinion. Not the Asperger's, the depression. The Asperger's I've had diagnosed.

Last edited:

Glitch

SLUDGE FACE
Am a diagnosed manic-depressive as well as many other disorders and fun shit.
Got nothing to do with the fandumb, though.

KarabinerCoyote

Steely-Eyed Rocket Guy
Success isn't permanent, neither is failure. Things tend to even out in the long run.:cool:

Branch

Butt
in a sense, depression is correlatable to the fandom's members. not sure of the stats, but some depressed individuals will isolate themselves- often leading to more prominant cases. however others will seek support from a social network. some people make friends, some people find acquiring a cat to be sufficient. then there's a portion who move themselves to a community that is pre-existing. all they have to do is participate, and the sense of inclusion occurs. folks can be downright malicious here, but even a response or notification of one's existence and troubles is often appreciated.

to be a douche - a better way of phrasing it: certain people suffering from depression will try to place themselves into a social situation where their opinions and feelings are validated/aknowledged. the online community being so easily accesible provides an option for this placement. the furry community is one of many online communities, and is bound to share in the distribution of depressed individuals.

Glitch

SLUDGE FACE
in a sense, depression is correlatable to the fandom's members. not sure of the stats, but some depressed individuals will isolate themselves- often leading to more prominant cases. however others will seek support from a social network. some people make friends, some people find acquiring a cat to be sufficient. then there's a portion who move themselves to a community that is pre-existing. all they have to do is participate, and the sense of inclusion occurs. folks can be downright malicious here, but even a response or notification of one's existence and troubles is often appreciated.

to be a douche - a better way of phrasing it: certain people suffering from depression will try to place themselves into a social situation where their opinions and feelings are validated/aknowledged. the online community being so easily accesible provides an option for this placement. the furry community is one of many online communities, and is bound to share in the distribution of depressed individuals.

To add on, the stigma of mental disorders/illnesses is terrible. That is, if people know about it.
Most of the time people have no clue of how simple depression even works. They just see so-and-so is sad, so tell so-and-so to cheer up in a derisive way, even though so-and-so is trying with all their might.

Things get uglier with other illnesses.

Even at 15, my psychologist has diagnosed me with manic-depressive disorder (also known as bipolar disorder), severe anxiety, PTSD, OCD, then - despite the disorder not often being diagnosed to those under 18 - Borderline Personality Disorder. She says that she typically has misgivings about diagnosing Borderline, but it is too prevalent in me to pass off as something else.
Now, that's a woman that has a PhD. Can you expect your average schmo in high school to know anything about actual mental disorders? No. The most they hear about is ADD and ADHD, and that shit is an absolute cakewalk. How about even you people here? You may grasp depression and some others. But even I did know what the hell Borderline Personality Disorder was They don't get why I have such intense mood swings, emotional reactions, paranoia, or why I go off in a blind rage at the drop of a hat.

I know that I try to fold it in as much as possible simply because I don't want people knowing. Because, if people don't know, then the next thing I've had to deal with is people thinking that I must have autism or mental retardation if I have a mental illness that leaves me FUBAR. After an incident last Tuesday, everyone knows about "the girl that swallowed pills and got taken away in an ambulance." But what do they think because they don't even talk about depression/mental disorders in health class? They think she's nuts.

Maybe I am, but holy fucking shit I don't need everyone and their inbred mother telling me that.

NK129

Psh.
I have been diagnosed of having low self-esteem, low self-worth, and yep, depression.
But I have had this for other reasons which are quite detached from anything furry related. : /
Depression is a Bitch yo.

Plus, most anti-depressants make me go Crazy so I have to deal with it myself.

Last edited:

Glitch

SLUDGE FACE
Psh.
I have been diagnosed of having low self-esteem, low self-worth, and yep, depression.
But I have had this for other reasons which are quite detached from anything furry related. : /
Depression is a Bitch yo.

Plus, most anti-depressants make me go Crazy so I have to deal with it myself.

Stop making your list longer, bub.
Low self-esteem and self-worth are all part and parcel of depression.

What meds are you using/have used?
They help; don't be all "BAWWWW I HAVE TO TAKE IT ALONE" and get some fucking pills if you're legitimately diagnosed.

I was first given Prozac, but that made me edgier. That wasn't needed on top of the borderline.
Lexapro is my new med that is less irritating than Prozac, and it treats anxiety as well as depression. I'm also on Vistaril, so double anxiolytics. But they work.

Last edited:

The_Lightning_Fox

Your days are numbered!
Stop making your list longer, bub.
Low self-esteem and self-worth are all part and parcel of depression.

What meds are you using/have used?
They help; don't be all "BAWWWW I HAVE TO TAKE IT ALONE" and get some fucking pills if you're legitimately diagnosed.

I was first given Prozac, but that made me edgier. That wasn't needed on top of the borderline.
Lexapro is my new med that is less irritating than Prozac, and it treats anxiety as well as depression. I'm also on Vistaril, so double anxiolytics. But they work.

thank you anti-d's. good 'ol Lexipro

Status
Not open for further replies.