• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Furries and hunting

Kanic

The Dog Faced Soldier
Do you think it's contradictory for a furry to also be a hunter (excluding hunting other furries)? I realize that many, including myself, have a great respect for animals. I also know many would not harm an animal unless out of self defense. However, because of failing to control certain animal populations, such as deer, can lead to numerous problems, I am not against hunting in that regard. And you?

Want to start hunting for sport. I wanna make it fair though. I'll hide in the bushes with my ghillie suit and a survival knife. ;)

J-wolf

Death's Apprentice
Personally I'm a hunter in the fact that I go hunting, but I have never actually shot anything living.

Kanic

The Dog Faced Soldier
Want to start hunting for sport. I wanna make it fair though. I'll hide in the bushes with my ghillie suit and a survival knife. ;)
No firearm = oldschool. Unless you're using a musket

Personally I'm a hunter in the fact that I go hunting, but I have never actually shot anything living.

That doesn't change the fact that you're a hunter though ;)

J-wolf

Death's Apprentice
Try bird hunting like that. That would be awesome.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
I have no problem with hunting if you are using all of the parts of the animal instead of taking a specific part and throwing the rest away.

nobu

Ich will Anarchy
I dont hunt cuz im to damn lazy, but as long as you eat/use it its cool, deer jerky is the best mmmmmmm...

J-wolf

Death's Apprentice
as soon as i get my own private island i will gather humans to hunt. humans are the ultimate sport.
The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell

moonchylde

He's like, this guy, you know?
as soon as i get my own private island i will gather humans to hunt. humans are the ultimate sport.

Make sure the humans you get actually know something about survival, or you'll have one boring hunt on your hands (you know, when they fall down crying or try to hide five feet from where they started running).

As for the topic at hand, I'm not against hunting for food, and I'm not against leather or fur that's been hunted (why waste it?), but I hate trophy hunters. I don't know how many times I've stumbled across headless deer skeletons while hiking off-trail, who were killed, decapitated, and left to rot. That's just disrespectful, and more then a little creepy.

the grey fox

Dreaming deeply
Make sure the humans you get actually know something about survival, or you'll have one boring hunt on your hands (you know, when they fall down crying or try to hide five feet from where they started running).
but they can't be too good, or they might fight back.

As for the topic at hand, I'm not against hunting for food, and I'm not against leather or fur that's been hunted (why waste it?), but I hate trophy hunters. I don't know how many times I've stumbled across headless deer skeletons while hiking off-trail, who were killed, decapitated, and left to rot. That's just disrespectful, and more then a little creepy.
agreed. remember kids, the grey fox says trophy hunting is wrong.

Shino

Now with more Writer's Block!
I disapprove for one simple reason: most people up here hunt for sport. It's one thing if you do it to survive (food, defense, etc), but to do it just to claim your spot on the local buck pool I find downright offensive.
I should also mention that if you take away the tools, human beings (indeed, most primates) are very poor hunters. I don't see how killing a defenseless animal from far away then tying it to the hood of your car is appropriate in any way shape or form.

Damn rednecks.

Leeham991dark

The Selective Pansexual
I actually have no problems killing any animal unless it is VERY intelligent. That means I would not kill a dolphin, a whale or any kind of predatory bird. Wouldn't mind putting a few slugs into my mathematician next door neighbor though...

HoneyPup

Potos flavus
I am not a hunter; however I see no problem with those that hunt and eat their kill... or bring it back for me to eat :D *nom nom nom* love venison. :D

I actually have no problems killing any animal unless it is VERY intelligent. That means I would not kill a dolphin, a whale or any kind of predatory bird. Wouldn't mind putting a few slugs into my mathematician next door neighbor though...
Intelligence is determined by human standards, and I think is rather flawed. From what I've seen people think the more like us a critter is, the more intelligent it is. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Xipoid

Cameras
I don't really see a problem with hunting, and I sure do not see any contradictory aspect of a furry going hunting. An animal rights activist, yes. Furry, no.

Wreth

GERTY
I'ma vegetarian so i would never hunt myself. Though i'm not an idiot and i am aware hunting is more humane than slaughter houses and battery farming.

I'm a hunter and a furry. I see no problem. I see no problem with trohpy hunting as long as you are using the deer and not just killing it for the antler. You can easily wait for the deer to shed their antlers and work at finding them rather than killing them. But if you are hunting and use the meat and maybe the capes, I see no problem with trying to get a trophy in the meantime.

moonchylde

He's like, this guy, you know?
I'm a hunter and a furry. I see no problem. I see no problem with trohpy hunting as long as you are using the deer and not just killing it for the antler. You can easily wait for the deer to shed their antlers and work at finding them rather than killing them. But if you are hunting and use the meat and maybe the capes, I see no problem with trying to get a trophy in the meantime.

Off topic a bit: Everyone keeps telling me that when I have to go buy antler for projects. Where the hell are people finding them? The few I find (yes, during shedding season) are so chewed up by rodents that they're useless for anything but a file.

Back on topic (sort of):
That means I would not kill a dolphin

I couldn't kill a dolphin (unless he was trying to rape me, that's just self-defense), but if you love seals, you hate penguins! Club a seal, save a penguin! :twisted:

/horrible joke

~secret~

Banned
Banned
I dont see how there's any contradiction between hunting and being a furry. To be honest, I have no problem with killing anything that's not human or that I care about. As long as it's for some good reason I dont mind. And 'because I want to' isn't a good enough reason.

EDIT: I'd kill a dolphin :T

Arch Wolf

Finishing fursona! Get ready!
The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell

Awesome book.

I am not a fan of hunting and never was, but if someone is hunting to stay alive, then yes, it's ok to hunt. That's just nature, not just the nature of humans but the nature of all animals. Hunting for sport, for fun, for profit, etc. is just horrible. There is no point to it at all, is completely unacceptable and should not be legal.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
Deer, bears, etc. are not defenseless. You try charging one with your bare hands one-on-one, see how defensless the thing are. Feeling lucky, try Moose v Car and still see just how defenseless the animal is. Not that I approve of hunting just for the sake of killing, but there's other reasons to hunt besides to eat. For instance, population control if one species is growing too numerous to support itself.

I should also mention that if you take away the tools, human beings (indeed, most primates) are very poor hunters.
Perhaps, but it only takes a man armed with a firewood log to take down a 300lb bear. I don't quite think "something you can pick up and throw" counts as a tool.

prettylilpup said:
Intelligence is determined by human standards, and I think is rather flawed. From what I've seen people think the more like us a critter is, the more intelligent it is.
And what else should we compare it to? Either way we're at the height of the intelligence chart, all that varies is how many critters count as "smart" and how many don't.

Eerie Silverfox

You are my furend
Vile. Just vile.

Mewizkuit

Mew the Blood-Red Wolf
HUNTING?
DO NOT WANT!:cry:

I don't approve of hunting
Killing is not something I like
I even have trouble killing insects sometimes