• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Furries not successful in life?

A hobby should not reflect an individual's success. Unless it's Drug use or something money draining and the person is sane people of all types should be successful, furry or not.

Delta

Fun times in FAFylon
There are furries from all walks of life. In fact a large portion of the fandom is made up of highly educated people in the science and tech fields.
That actually made me laugh.

powderhound

I would fall into that category and I know a number of others that would too. Although I don't know about a "large portion." Lots are very successful. However they tend to keep a lower profile while the train wrecks garner the spotlight. Being successful in the terms you likely refer takes time and since your sample consists mostly of people in the first quarter of their life the results are going to be biased.

I wouldn't generalize furs are not successful. Can you elaborate more on the basis for your belief?

Joey

I moved out of my parents house in October, somehow manage to make ends meet, and I even have a job I like. On top of that I have an active social life that's very separate from the fandom. Sounds pretty successful to me.

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
I run a multimillion company focused on making tyres for formula 1 racecars. I also own BD.
I am succesful.

Riho

Your brain cells are mine
I'm currently living in a basement, unfortunately, there's none of the original house left.

At age 15, I weigh 80 pounds, and am seriously thinking of drinking my own piss to survive.
I often have visions of my fursona talking to me, giving me advice, and have cut myself on multiple occasions.
But I can post on this board using nothing but my raw brain power.

So I may be relatively successful.

JerryFoxcoon

The classy Captain Furfag
Depends of the definition of "success":

- Scholar... It's never been a real issue. Whenever I had the will to give a minimum of efforts my notes were very acceptable.
- Professional... I don't think it'll be either. I'm going to be a mechanic, big trucks mechanic!
- Social... That's where things start to turn sour xD Either I've been very unlucky and never had any really loyal friends, or my personality is just plain incompatible with most other people LOL. I hope this is fixable though...

Em1l

I'd say the same as most other people already have; furry has the same distribution of "successful" and "unsuccessful" people as there are in the rest of society.

As for me i'd say that i havent managed to cock my life up too severely as of yet so theres still hope, on a social note - not so successful but that does seem pretty common for people of this fandom.

Kashou

The Lone Wolf~
I'd say the same as most other people already have; furry has the same distribution of "successful" and "unsuccessful" people as there are in the rest of society.

As for me i'd say that i havent managed to cock my life up too severely as of yet so theres still hope, on a social note - not so successful but that does seem pretty common for people of this fandom.

I'd have to say I agree with the others that stated you can't really generalize people of this fandom as being unsuccessful. Whether or not you're successful has little to do with your interests or hobbies in life. I say little because most people would want to actually go for careers they enjoy though I still wouldn't put that in the furry fandom field. If anything I'd just assume there's a lot more of us than any other fandom meaning we'd have a higher number of unsuccessful people as well as successful people.

Demache

Depends on what you define as a success. And being a furry doesn't directly have anything to do with success, unless your one of those furries that let it take over every facet of your life.

Furcade

Intermittent Poster
There are furries from all walks of life. In fact a large portion of the fandom is made up of highly educated people in the science and tech fields.

Agreed, there appear to be quite a few postgraduate students hanging around these forums.

Sarcastic Coffeecup said:
I run a multimillion company focused on making tyres for formula 1 racecars. I also own BD.
I am succesful.

There is no ":V" here. Does that make it true? Or is this post a reflection of your username? If it is accurate, I think that's enough of the typical idea of "success" to outweigh all the people who aren't as "successful".

As for the question of why there appears to be more people doing it tough than people owning tyre compound/biotech companies within the furry fandom, as others have suggested it's probably a lot to do with the median age of furries. I mean, it's not like if you're a furry, you're inherently a failure. They just happen to coincide due to the bizarrely specific demographic of the common fur.

Tabasco

I see a lot of mixed results in this fandom. If anything, people who aren't conventionally successful may be dissatisfied with life, and in dissatisfaction turn to fantasy.

Furcade

Intermittent Poster
I see a lot of mixed results in this fandom. If anything, people who aren't conventionally successful may be dissatisfied with life, and in dissatisfaction turn to fantasy.

That is interesting, and probably often true.

Therion87

I don't think furries are less successful than people in other fandoms. I feel successful and I'm about to get a graduate degree in a science. The furs I've known personally are all pretty successful and smart folks, but tend to be much more introverted than other "groups" I've seen. I think introverts just have a tougher time in general in Western societies.

If there is a widespread problem with getting "good jobs and supporting themselves" I really think it's just the weak economy and the complications that come from being very unique introverts. That's been my experience at least.

Roon Sazi

I'm only 17 so compared to a nice chunk of you guys I really haven't earned the right to judge how successful I am yet. Still, I have pretty good grades,a decent social circle and a have had a couple part-time jobs. I don't go to parties every weekend but I'm certainly not sitting around wanking. That sounds pretty average along the lines of successful to me.

LakotaPhoenix

OP needs to define success.

Everyone has ups and downs in life. As it as been said before, the furry fandom just attracts those who are more emotional and outspoken about it at times. However, for every crying emo, there is a good 3-5 adults who are happy with who and what they are and have made it a point to celebrate their own successes.

Kayla

Ebonyleopard's Wife
I make a comfortable living off of commissions, went to school, moved out of my parents' house, met a guy whom is very sweet, well educated, is successful in his own right (A teacher with a master's degree), getting married this year. Yeah, I'd say my life is pretty successful right now.

Furcade

Intermittent Poster
I make a comfortable living off of commissions, went to school, moved out of my parents' house, met a guy whom is very sweet, well educated, is successful in his own right (A teacher with a master's degree), getting married this year. Yeah, I'd say my life is pretty successful right now.

Forgive me for being a massive noob, but do many people make a living off commissions? I assumed it was sort of a side-project.

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
Maybe the more vocal furries are unsuccessful (people who are TOO into furry, when it takes up their life and perhaps is the only thing that makes up their identity), as they spend too much time on furry and not enough on, well, life. Maybe there are great researchers or inventors out there who are also furries, but they don't talk about it on furry sites because they want to keep their real lives separate.

I mean, it's a hobby. If you treat it as a hobby it's not going to really cause you any harm (if you're unsuccessful despite this, something else is causing it, not furry). It's when you decide "hey, I'm not too happy with anything, and I'm not productive, so I'm gonna be what the Japanese call an otaku to make myself feel better and I'll be productive making sonic fanart. Yay!" that you stay unsuccessful because you made a nerd fandom your entire way of life, replacing real life with it.

I guess, if you don't get too bogged down in the whole "nerdy basement dweller"/"furry deserves equal protection under the law" mentalities, I think a lot of furries, could be really successful scientists, engineers, and technologists, not to mention artists.

In short, don't be a fanboy.

Bambi

Joined 2008 - Returned 2022
I think what the OP means to say is whether or not furries tend to be more employable, are employed, and are capable of living within their means. I'd say that about 20-40% of furries experience joblessness in some way, and that the rest are usually too young, or already established enough that it doesn't matter. As a rule of thumb, just because I see most furries as having more self-diagnosed clinical problems, I err on the side of caution when trying to say they're just like most people.

They might have problems just like most people, but it's hard not to notice that some of the extremely fucked up are in higher concentration here than in elsewhere. I don't blame them, nor do I look down on them (although I will use epithets and generalizations when discussing/identifying them because generalities are better than specifics; avoids fights), but it appears to be the fandoms circumstances.

jorinda

I joined the furry fandom in 2005. Then I graduated fromn school in 2006, got my Bachelor of Engineering in 2009 and Master of Science in 2012, and started working as a PhD student last summer.

Success, I think. :p

(And in case that's part of your idea of success: I also have a long-term relationship since 2007.)

TheGr8MC

Longetivity is my middle name
At 20 years young I am in my second year of college unlike many of my neighbors who are running the streets like hooligans and robbing each other. If anything is success (so far), I'd say that is. I wonder if there are other furries who came from the ghetto.
However, I've never had a job or a girlfriend (or boyfriend, just kidding) so my friends say I am not successful. But who cares what they think? It will all come when my time is right.

powderhound

I am in my second year of college

Wow. The ghetto in Akron. I know where you came from. Thats a violent sad place. I am impressed you are in college. Unequivocally, you are a success. Strong work.

Last edited:

TheGr8MC

Longetivity is my middle name
Thank's for the support friend. You don't find much encouragement in my home neighborhood. But in college things have definitely turned around. It especially helps that furries are among the nicest and most considerate fandoms I've ever been a part of.