• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Furry and Dating

Micshork

Hello.

I wanted to create this thread for two purposes. One, to ask for my own personal advice from people, and Two, to help others who might have this problem and might want to discuss this issue with each other.

I want to hear how YOU (The reader of this post) maintain a Healthy relationship with a Partner.

I am a Straight Man who wants to date a straight Woman (Which I have done before) but I want to date someone who is in the Furry Community and is a Fursuiter. Where would someone like me go and FIND someone like that AND MAINTAIN that relationship? I know some people might think of Yiff stuff, but how do you maintain a relationship where you not only have your Persona but also have to take care of other things such as Work and other things like School, Friends, Bills, Other Hobbies etc. If is better that your partner be a Furry/Fursuiter themselves that way when you both participate in the hobby you do it together?

Also what about being in a relationship with someone who isn't a Furry? Is it sometimes hard for them to accept you hobby? Do they think your hobby is strange? How would you recommend being involved with someone who isn't part of the fandom and managing that relationship?

I am just asking for advice. Not only for me but for other people who are seeking a Romantic Relationship and how to maintain that relationship because I a sure there are people here who have done that.

Thank you and I hope this thread helps and I hope to hear how you manage your healthy relationships.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
Hello.

I wanted to create this thread for two purposes. One, to ask for my own personal advice from people, and Two, to help others who might have this problem and might want to discuss this issue with each other.

I want to hear how YOU (The reader of this post) maintain a Healthy relationship with a Partner.

I am a Straight Man who wants to date a straight Woman (Which I have done before) but I want to date someone who is in the Furry Community and is a Fursuiter. Where would someone like me go and FIND someone like that AND MAINTAIN that relationship? I know some people might think of Yiff stuff, but how do you maintain a relationship where you not only have your Persona but also have to take care of other things such as Work and other things like School, Friends, Bills, Other Hobbies etc. If is better that your partner be a Furry/Fursuiter themselves that way when you both participate in the hobby you do it together?

Also what about being in a relationship with someone who isn't a Furry? Is it sometimes hard for them to accept you hobby? Do they think your hobby is strange? How would you recommend being involved with someone who isn't part of the fandom and managing that relationship?

I am just asking for advice. Not only for me but for other people who are seeking a Romantic Relationship and how to maintain that relationship because I a sure there are people here who have done that.

Thank you and I hope this thread helps and I hope to hear how you manage your healthy relationships.
Well I'd say that I don't think being a furry should really impact your relationship. If they aren't into furries then that's just how it is. As long as they don't get pissy at you for it then your relationship should be just fine. Straight or gay, male or female. I'd say finding a straight relationship within the furry fandom is not as common as gay relationships but it can totally be done. I'm gay and I'm dating a furry irl and we get along well. Just be like any other relationship. Enjoy each other's company. Understand each other. Communicate. Spend time with each other. Be there for them. Stuff like that. I wouldn't be too worried about worrying about small details specific to a furry relationship. Just be a good partner regardless and things will fall into place in the end. ( Also offtopic, love the profile picture ;3 )

Pompadork

Bowman
I definitely think it helps to find someone else who’s also a furry if it’s something that’s a big enough factor in your life but even then, someone who tolerates it is better than nothing. I’ve known girls who were into things such as cosplay and lolita fashion who have dated guys that have made fun of them for it and that is honestly kind of horrifying to hear? They don’t have to participate but as long as they’re ok with you doing you then that’s really all that matters.

I can’t really talk tho cause the dude I have a huge ass crush on thinks furries are weird af and I’d drop yall in a heart beat to date him woops

Yakamaru

Mr. Villanous charm
To rear my ugly head in this thread, or not to rear my ugly head in this thread..

Jarren

You can't just quote yourself! -Me

quoting_mungo

Please check older threads on (lack of) furry women. When you get idea, what furry women look like and yet get considered attractive here, you know that you definitely have to pick your date outside community. (no offense intended)
There are two or three actually attractive women in entire furry community and they are taken. Note that you need to find a date, that you not just find attractive but also someone you can get along with in the long run.
Can we please not make up (frankly insulting) statistics about furry demographics? The only furry con I've been to that might have had under a dozen conventionally attractive women attending, was also like... under 100 attendees in size. Now, I don't know how many of them were taken, but that's still blowing a hole in your theory. That's ignoring the fact that everyone's taste will differ. Just... bad take. Plenty of hot ladies in fandom, thank you very much.

1. End up with ugly fat annoying furry lady which no normie would ever date. Unfortunately she won't be dressed up in fursuit all the time. And even in fursuit she will be still annoying or hard to live with. That's what you are looking for now.
Did OP say he was looking for fat, ugly, or annoying? No. So that's not what he's looking for. (Also all the fat furry ladies I've known have been absolute delights.)

3. Stay single for life. It's actually better option that it sounds like. You still have good friends and more fun than option 4.
People may choose to stay single for a multitude of reasons. Focusing on making friends and letting love find you when it finds you is good advice. Actively resolving to stay single not because you're not interested in a relationship but because you've arbitrarily decided there are no eligible partners out there that meet your standards is only going to hurt you, though.

4. Conceal your furriness, get awesome normie wife, kids, home etc. like all your normie friends. It works. I'm married for 15 years and my wife has no clue that I'm into this. Nothing wrong about that, you can love without knowing everything.
Or you can share your interests with your "normie" partner without them having to be into the same things you are. My husband is into game genres I don't enjoy, and I'm happy to talk to him about them, because I can tell he's having fun. My boyfriend tinkers with absolutely everything, and while I may make good-natured fun of him over it I'll still listen when he's excited and wants to share a project with me.

90% of maintaining a healthy relationship in the long term is communication. The remaining 10% is split between chemistry, compatibility in terms of life goals, and ability to give and take. Also always remember that an amicable break-up is better than remaining in a miserable relationship! Having a good relationship with your ex(es) will generally make your life easier and more pleasant.

Unhappy about something? Talk about it.
Concerned about something? Talk about it.
Feel like you want more or less of something in your relationship? Talk about it.

Your partner can't read your mind, so if you don't tell them there is a problem they may never know.

My romantic relationships happen to all have been with other furries, but I have a couple of lovers who are not, and who are aware that I am. It's honestly a non-issue between us. We predominantly talk about non-furry subjects, and when we don't it's the same as talking about any other hobby we don't happen to share.

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
My wife isn’t a furry but loves that I love this stuff so much. She’s really supportive and loves seeing all the art I do for y’all.

That’s the kind of person to look for. Someone you can be yourself around and is supportive. If they happen to also be a furry, that’s just a bonus.

Check's thread...

oh.png

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
Same.

My fatphobia, misogyny and general "person I shouldn't talk to" meters have gone off in unison.

"Women are only dateable if they are conventionally attractive."- Yea... yea, I'm not talking to you.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
I'd imagine it doesn't really matter if you're a furry or no and that a (good) partner probably wouldn't care. In a best case scenario they'd probably try to support you in your hobby. People don't need to necessarily have the exact same interests to date after all. Its cool to try and aim to meet and date people with similar common interests though, because as you yourself said OP, having someone to participate in a hobby with can be fun! I can't really help you on how to find people as I've never really had a partner, but it helps to try and go out and meet people. Make accounts on dating sites if you need to. The easiest way to meet that special someone is to put yourself out there I'd imagine. If you're aiming to date another furry, I think there are furry dating sites? I have no idea how good they are. You could also try going to cons and meeting people that way.

Tbh I kinda need help meeting people myself. But a lot of that is due to my own social issues. I simply can't talk to people. Its hard.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes

Lea.Tigris

Reluctant Conversationalist
As much as I would like to meet someone in the fandom who I could date and have this hobby in common, it's just rare. Even as a female It's not easy meeting people in the community for one reason or another.
But as everyone else has said, it shouldn't really be a prerequisite to dating someone or not. Most people I've dated don't care that I like to draw anthros and hang out on forums and chat rooms with other furries. It isn't as big a deal as some people make it out to be. As long as you're not forcing your hobby onto your partner, you should be good! After all, they are dating you because they like you, not just because you happen to be a furry. :)

As for maintaining a healthy relationship? Communication, honesty and loyalty. But don't forget to maintain your individuality and have me time once in a while! It can be difficult, but still be you and be your own separate person!

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
As much as I would like to meet someone in the fandom who I could date and have this hobby in common, it's just rare. Even as a female It's not easy meeting people in the community for one reason or another.
But as everyone else has said, it shouldn't really be a prerequisite to dating someone or not. Most people I've dated don't care that I like to draw anthros and hang out on forums and chat rooms with other furries. It isn't as big a deal as some people make it out to be. As long as you're not forcing your hobby onto your partner, you should be good! After all, they are dating you because they like you, not just because you happen to be a furry. :)

As for maintaining a healthy relationship? Communication, honesty and loyalty. But don't forget to maintain your individuality and have me time once in a while! It can be difficult, but still be you and be your own separate person!
It's hard meeting people in this community cause of the sixth post in this thread, tbh-

Being a separate person is important~. v3v A relationship is just sharing your stuff with someone special. You can't be you if you don't feel comfortable enough to be you~.

Last edited:
S

Sagt

It hasn't been troublesome for me.

I introduced my normie girlfriend to the fandom earlier in the year and it hasn't affected our relationship, as of so far. In fact, she supposedly thinks some fursuits are cute, and I plan on taking her with me to Eurofurence. :x

Honestly, as long as you're not weird about the fandom when you talk about it to non-furries, they should be relatively receptive. It's a nerdy fandom for people that think depictions of anthropomorphic animals (in art or media) are cool; no need to make a big deal of it.