• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Furry artists that take more work that they can handle.

El-gallo

I was wondering how someone gets into this situation. I've been reading a few journals on which I'll reserve who's they're. Espesificaly, I see an issue, someone comissions the artist, they pay for a piece and they can take over a year to complete such request while working on other things. I consider this to be wrong in every aspect, and of course the comissioner can get a refund due to never getting what he paid for. But then, it all comes and lands on some drama on the artists end, or even get to a negative currency state on their paypal or whatever method they choose to get paid at.

So, basicaly my question is, why does one get to that? you can't say you got too much work, because you're the one that accepts such job and money.

KILL.MAIM.KILL

Angry Lizard King
Banned
It can happen sometimes if an artist desperately needs the money, and doesn't have any other choice. Sure, there probably are some who do it on purpose, but in my experience it usually happens without them actually wanting to do that much work.

Anjeka

Eli
Yeah, any time I've seen that happen, it's been because the artist was in a desperate state. (And from what I've seen it can go hand in hand with someone severely underpricing their work, but thats a whole other issue) They take on as many pre-paid comms as they think they can handle, but due to outside circumstances things fall apart. Usually related to the desperate financial state.

The last time one of my favorite artists took commissions on was close to three years ago because they were close to being kicked out of their living situation and needed to make rent. The stress got to them and they had a major mental health episode that they're still sort of recovering from today. And they're still working through their backlog of commissions from then.

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ
Wanting to do something that they love for money. As a source of income, however, being a furry artist doesn't pay well. Especially when we start talking about taking months or years to complete something. Most have day jobs and/or school to contend with, and if they also enjoy drawing their own characters they probably have a backlog of personal art that keeps getting pushed aside. That can be discouraging, and is a big reason why I don't take commissions.

Connor J. Coyote

¥otie ¥otezer
I was wondering how someone gets into this situation. I've been reading a few journals on which I'll reserve who's they're. Espesificaly, I see an issue, someone comissions the artist, they pay for a piece and they can take over a year to complete such request while working on other things. I consider this to be wrong in every aspect, and of course the comissioner can get a refund due to never getting what he paid for. But then, it all comes and lands on some drama on the artists end, or even get to a negative currency state on their paypal or whatever method they choose to get paid at.

So, basicaly my question is, why does one get to that? you can't say you got too much work, because you're the one that accepts such job and money.
This can occur for a lot of reasons.. overconfidence, lack of preparedness, too much work to do (and not enough time to do it), apathy for what the customer's needs (and concerns) are.. and, sometimes - just plain neediness, and greed.

If you're waiting a long time - and the piece isn't done within six months though - than it's probably fine to ask them for a refund.. unless they had unusual or mitigating circumstances that might justify such a long delay.

It kind of goes without saying.. but communication is key, also.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
I think this is a prime example of people undercharging.
They undercharge and take on a lot of commissions to make ends meet- because I don't think this is a thing about "greed" or "love of money". You kinda need money to pay your bills, frankly. It's shameful to come after people for trying to survive.

Any way, the undercharge and the money isn't actually enough to cover the labor for the piece. When it's not enough to cover the labor for the piece, they get overwhelmed.

Lopaw

Wandering artist weasel
As somebody that did mostly gift art I would see so much people with decent sonas that I’d ask via notes to draw them and take on more than I had time to do.