• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Furry Fandom demographics research

Shiakarn

Hey, I've just created a survey to study the Furry Fandom, and I was hoping some people here might contribute. It's only 17 questions long so it won't take more than a couple of minutes to complete, so please take part! Thankies!

My survey

Edit: Because of restrictions in the site's capability, the URL of the survey has changed, and the new one is below. Please don't try to use the old one or it'll probably bite you for it. Thanks.

New URL

Myr

Big Dragon
I took it too, and I think I might just use that site for a broader FA survey thing I've been working on. I'm still researching sites and capabilities though.

uncia2000

oh, forgot to say... "me, too". :3

(Although I'm sure I'd seen this one before, some time ago).

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
the results should be quite interesting, i'm sure..
*heads off to fill in the forms*

Vgm22

Furry/Scalie Of Mystery
There I took it. ^^

Tensik

One of your questions that is mandatory asks what family ones fursona belongs to, but by no means does everyone in the fandom have one.

I'm also curious, why do you ask for e-mail addresses? I know its optional, but don't understand why you ask at all.

Shiakarn

Tensik said:
One of your questions that is mandatory asks what family ones fursona belongs to, but by no means does everyone in the fandom have one.

I'm also curious, why do you ask for e-mail addresses? I know its optional, but don't understand why you ask at all.

The reason we allowed people to optionally submit their Email addresses is;

1) It allows us to filter out some duplicate responses, but we didn't want to make it compulsory otherwise some people might not take the test at all but something is better than nothing, and;

2) The second reason will be revealed in the analysis which will be posted online once we think we've got a large enough sample and we've actually analysed the data.

Oh, and uncia, I assure you that you haven't seen this survey before last night. We only set it up then. :p I do have to admit that it might resemble other surveys and polls made on the fandom in the past, though.

Evol

Took it. I'm glad you included more than cut-and-dry hetero-or-homo options on there.

RailRide

The Real Wheels of Steel
RE:  Furry Fandom demographics research

Tensik said:

I gotta second this. So many newbies think that they have to define a "fursona" to participate in this fandom, it ain't even funny anymore. Mandating that one have such a thing to participate in this 'survey' only perpetuates this fallacy. And I didn't answer the survey mostly for that very reason.

It's like a survey someone passed out at last year's C-ACE*, purporting to be a college-level research project on the furry fandom. Only problem is that all the questions were heavily slanted toward furry lifestyler subjects and gave no voice whatsoever to those for whom this fandom is strictly a hobby (i.e. an art venue). I can almost guarantee if the results of that project ever make it to publication, it'll look like just as much a hatchet job as the Vanity Fair article did.

---PCJ

[size=small]*C-ACE: a general cartooning-centric con taking place in Ottawa, ON that originated as as furry-centric event. http://www.c-ace.org)[/size]

Ziba the lioness

Overgrown housecat
I took the test too. Only I didnt get question 8 at all, doesnt even know wtf it is/means. so dont count on that one to be true XD

joecifur

I liked that you added the sexuality scale, too.

One day I'd like to see one of these surveys include something on transgenderism within the fandom, or even anything beyond just male-female -- I know a handful of TG furries, for instance, that identify specifically as MTF or FTM rather than just the target gender.

Anyway, took it. Hope it helps!

Shiakarn

Thanks to everyone from here who took the survey.

I've been a little busy lately but I've set up a section on my website for the research which is here

Oh, and when you read the hypotheses section, please don't bark at me for things like hypotheses 7, 8, and 9, read the head notes in bold print first. Thanks. (It's just I've gotten some greif for them when people haven't bothered to read those notes. :p )

Emerson

FYI I am a SPY.
I do'd it. I'm curious to see what the results of the survey are.

done with survey. also you will find interesting results in regards to my species. if you have any further questions in regards to that let me know as i'm more than happy to introduce my new species to the world so that others may become a part of this new species. also i too blatantly refused to join when it tried to sign me up.