• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Furry Hate (Mail)

VX666

The Foxy Goddess
Okay, so not sure how to approach this or where to post this so I'll start off here. Attn mods, please edit/move or do what you feel is appropriate.

I searched online and surprisingly I found very little on "Furry Hate", I'm not sure if it's a thing but I found a few references to it.

A bit of background ; I never considered myself a hard core "furry fan", and I'm not quite as involved in the "fandom" as most and I rarely talk about it but I don't keep it a secret from others either. I do work on various characters in the industry and some have fan pages online, lately we have been getting fan (hate) mail.

I won't post it because I feel it's too vulgar and there isn't much point as we have probably seen ethnic, racial, sexual, etc forms of hate (mail).

The topics I wanted to go over are;

1. How prevalent is "furry hate"?

2. Is "furry hate" a "thing", meaning is it a class defined and distinct enough like say racial or sexual hate?

3. Why / what are the reasons people hate furries?

4. Real life "hate crimes" against furries, is this a real thing and how prevailant is it?
4b. concealed carry for fursuiting? (maybe a separate topic).

Z

Z-ro

My hate is sealed within 3 keys and 5 doors
Conscience
Morale and Respect

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinare

RAWR
In general, I don't come across it much, but I also don't come across furries mentioned much outside of the community. That said, in my personal experience, I'm finding more and more streamers lately that I had liked are very open about their detest for furries, some even going so far as to use the word "hate". Whenever I happen upon somewhere that furries are mentioned it's followed by a bunch of ignorant turds grouping up to sing their hate proudly and those are the vast majority. Only once did I find a streamer I was watching who was asked about it and admitted they didn't know much about furries and preferred not to comment.

2. Is "furry hate" a "thing", meaning is it a class defined and distinct enough like say racial or sexual hate?
Yes, hating furries is absolutely a thing. I would not compare it to racism or sexism in severity, but it is the same in that all 3 are groups of people who are hated because of ignorance.

"Animal fuckers" - that's what they think we all are. If they for some reason don't think that, they at least think we all dress up as our fursonas and participate in orgies. One streamer did simply say "they creep me out" and didn't really give specifics, so meh.

4. Real life "hate crimes" against furries, is this a real thing and how prevalent is it?
I honestly have no idea, and I'm gonna stay far away from the 2nd part of this question... x.x'

C

CrookedCroc

Pretty popular but it doesn't go beyond "Jesus Christ, I hate furries, they are super obnoxious and weird/perverts"

Like racial and sexual hate? No...

For several reasons, the most popular being overexposure (same thing happened to MLP, Minecraft and Undertale) and individuals in the community who give a bad name to us, you know, the people that groom children on discord and the people that are actually into irl animals

4. Real life "hate crimes" against furries, is this a real thing and how prevailant is it?

Never heard of something like that, sorry

Alison Savros

Deceased
In general, I don't come across it much, but I also don't come across furries mentioned much outside of the community. That said, in my personal experience, I'm finding more and more streamers lately that I had liked are very open about their detest for furries, some even going so far as to use the word "hate". Whenever I happen upon somewhere that furries are mentioned it's followed by a bunch of ignorant turds grouping up to sing their hate proudly and those are the vast majority. Only once did I find a streamer I was watching who was asked about it and admitted they didn't know much about furries and preferred not to comment.

Yes, hating furries is absolutely a thing. I would not compare it to racism or sexism in severity, but it is the same in that all 3 are groups of people who are hated because of ignorance.

"Animal fuckers" - that's what they think we all are. If they for some reason don't think that, they at least think we all dress up as our fursonas and participate in orgies. One streamer did simply say "they creep me out" and didn't really give specifics, so meh.

4. Real life "hate crimes" against furries, is this a real thing and how prevalent is it?
I honestly have no idea, and I'm gonna stay far away from the 2nd part of this question... x.x'
Well, since furries can be children, that means he's creeped out by little kids, which makes me laugh because it shows how cowardly the antis' are.

C

CrookedCroc

It happened one time at a furry convention. It was a gas attack where someone mixed chlorine and ammonia and attempted to poison people. Look it up, that actually happened. Search "furry gas attack" and you'll find it
How are you sure it was a hate crime if there weren't any arrests nor suspects? As far we know it could have been an accident provoked by an attendee, and if I remember correctly there actually was a post circulating around where an attendee was asking for cleaning products to get rid of a juice stain from his fursuit, he could have mixed bleach with something else by accident

Filter

Scallywag
Kids might try to pull your tail, so it's a good idea to bring a handler rather than fursuit alone. That's just kids doing stupid things though.

Furry hate seems like mostly an "internet tough guy" thing. Not something that you should expect to experience very often in real life, if at all. Sure, some people might think you're a little weird, but that's their problem and doesn't put you in much physical danger.

Real life furry haters apparently exist, but they come across as the scumbags that they are. Here's an example:

If you're harassed, ask your handler to record the incident on video. Don't hesitate to report it to the police. Criminal behavior is criminal behavior. There are laws in real life to help protect people and their property.

P

Purplefuzz

Well, since furries can be children, that means he's creeped out by little kids, which makes me laugh because it shows how cowardly the antis' are.

Oh i really love how anti's ignore the 12 - 19 section of the fandom to cry how adults are neckbeards.

Streamers/Youtubers are horrid for just being ignorant for no good reason. I find it funny how they see nothing wrong just hating them without knowing what the fandom is about, But meltdown when gaming has another controversy that get newsworthy. Also that Hellbent dude admitted he assumes all furry cons are sex pits and uses rainfurrest as to why with no clue at how dumb he sounds.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
How are you sure it was a hate crime if there weren't any arrests nor suspects? As far we know it could have been an accident provoked by an attendee, and if I remember correctly there actually was a post circulating around where an attendee was asking for cleaning products to get rid of a juice stain from his fursuit, he could have mixed bleach with something else by accident

I looked it up and the authorities described it as a deliberate criminal act. However there's no indication they ever found out who was responsible.

So it is unclear what the motivation for the crime is, but the authorities did not believe it was an accident.
www.vice.com: The Unsolved Case of the Gas Attack at a Furry Convention

quoting_mungo

Regardless of what your interests are, there's going to be people out there shitting on it. I think it's silly to get all worked up over sweaty guys chasing a ball, but for some reason soccer is SRS BSNS to soccer fans. (More seriously, no hate on sports fans, I just don't get the big deal.) I wouldn't focus so much on "why do people hate furries?" anyway; the more pertinent question is probably "what makes this person feel like they need to share their opinion with you?" I'm not going to go out of my way to tell soccer fans that I think their hobby makes no sense, because whatever floats their boat, really.

So just... remember that people who feel the need to email you to tell you how terrible furries are, probably are just insecure in themselves. Them doing that says more about them than it does about you. Most people don't give enough fucks to do more than casually avoid furries, at most.

While I personally doubt it was a hate crime per se, and more likely a stupid prank that turned out to be more dangerous than intended (whether by an attendee or an outsider) - because sometimes people do fluffbrained things with serious consequences without thinking it through, I find it highly unlikely that it would have been related to someone trying to clean their fursuit.

Not only is there law enforcement's conclusion, as @Fallowfox referred to, but there is the fact that the origin of the gas was in a hallway or stairwell or similar, not a private room. I have never, ever, heard of anyone trying to clean their suit outside of their own room or at least in the fursuit lounge. It would be a silly thing to do, quite frankly. (Also, I'm not an expert, but bleach seems like a bad combination with faux fur, in the first place, just for the integrity of the suit.)

Well... I feel like this might be a good place to post, since I'm not actually a member of the fandom, so a slight outside view might be a good thing?

Not very, but not too rare either.
So-o-o, I'm not a furry. And I don't have furry friends. I don't even personally know a furry. Shrug. But I know that many people from my circle love to hate furries, however, not as much as I expected. I would expect at least half of these nerds to hate on 'em (you? which should I use here - I'm confused), or none at all. I'd say that maybe one in five people hates furries, but one in a hundred is bloody serious about it.

Absolutely not.

I said it once, I said it twice, and I'll be saying it for a very long time: they just want on a bandwagon. It seems that hating furries is fashionable, and most people I know when asked about their so-called hate, don't actually know why they hate furries. It's like smoking: "Cool kids do that, so should I."
Though many people here say "they think of us as animal fuckers", never in my life I have met anyone who'd name that as a reason. Come on, guys, people know it's fckng fiction!

Never really heard of them, but that doesn't say anything. I don't think that... there are specifically furry hate-crimes... I guess my stance is that if someone chooses to attack such a small and fairly innocent group of people (like what they gonna do? make your kids like cats more? force them to go to a zoo? you cannot even apply the gay "they'll turn my kid" prejudice here), this someone is just looking for something to attack. They don't really hate the group, they just need something to hate. They need an outlet. And there's some dude with fox ears who just happened to be in a wrong place at a wrong time.
As for fursuits, you should conceal them! I mean, they worth a ton, better keep them as much out of elements as you can. I'm not even sure how to transport them... But I also think that it's a good idea for anyone who feels uncomfortable being stared at.

quoting_mungo

I said it once, I said it twice, and I'll be saying it for a very long time: they just want on a bandwagon. It seems that hating furries is fashionable, and most people I know when asked about their so-called hate, don't actually know why they hate furries. It's like smoking: "Cool kids do that, so should I."
Though many people here say "they think of us as animal fuckers", never in my life I have met anyone who'd name that as a reason. Come on, guys, people know it's fckng fiction!
I think the "animal fucker" thing comes out when (and basically only when) someone wants to smear a specific individual. I had a classmate in sequential arts school, who was friendly to my face, but talked shit about me behind my back, and this included trying to turn people against me.

Notably, she called my boyfriend at the time (they knew each other before she and I became classmates) to tell him about the adult art she'd seen on my VCL account. He'd already seen it, of course, being furry himself. She also left an anonymous comment on an art LiveJournal post of mine basically saying something about me drawing bestiality (because anthro animals are still animals?) and tried to push the idea that I was supposedly into bestiality with the other people in my class that both she and I interacted the most with. They dismissed it as bullshit, and rightly so.

She wasn't, to the best of my knowledge, ever a "furry hater" - she just happened to decide to try to get people to dislike me. I personally think this is the kind of reason these arguments get brought up, more than anything else.

TheCynicalViet

It's not so fiction anymore. Search up a furry known as "Kero the Wolf" and the "zoosadists". I can't post anything here cause the stuff there will get me banned here. This doesn't help either: 2016/2017 child abuse arrests - WikiFur, the furry encyclopedia.

Again, I know it's only a few bad apples but an outsider looking in will attribute the actions of the few onto the entirety of the community. Basically, "this person of this group did this so ergo all people of that group do this".

I think the "animal fucker" thing comes out when (and basically only when) someone wants to smear a specific individual.
Well, I mean... fair enough. I think I was called something like this by a friend during an argument (furfucker or something along those lines), as he met me at the time in my life when I took a lot of furry commissions, and he must've thought I was a furry. Which emphasises your point, but I blissfully forgot about it up until now.

It's not so fiction anymore. Search up a furry known as "Kero the Wolf" and the "zoosadists".
Thank you, I know of those. But you mistake individuals for groups. In this matter, you can say all Russians are serial killers because of Chicotillo, or all hotel owners are torturers because H.H. Holmes was one. Everyone knows it's bs. I mean it. Everyone knows to differentiate an asshole person from a fandom. However dumb you want others to be, they aren't that. They really, really aren't C:

P

Purplefuzz

Thank you, I know of those. But you mistake individuals for groups. In this matter, you can say all Russians are serial killers because of Chicotillo, or all hotel owners are torturers because H.H. Holmes was one. Everyone knows it's bs. I mean it. Everyone knows to differentiate an asshole person from a fandom. However dumb you want others to be, they aren't that. They really, really aren't C:

Also the type of people he assumes are just assholes online which makes wonder what some are doing that all non-furs are that ignorant IRL. Everyone knows what trope the furry fandom is based on, Your just seen as a another fantasy fan. Also sites like Something Awful, 4chan are just seen as self unaware troll pits than something waste effort posting on. Since they got dumped hard when new forums/social media showed up, that didn't lose their shit over furries outside of generic online troll's.

Also the type of people he assumes are just assholes online which makes wonder what some are doing that all non-furs are that ignorant IRL.
I guess to this I can say "read earlier reply to question 4 and 3". Bandwagons and because it's the internet fashion to hate on furries. And because some people need something to hate, and they just picked the group.

TheCynicalViet

No, you're wrong, people are that dumb. Give anybody the benefit of the doubt, and 9 out 10 times, they'll prove you wrong. If 1 furry out of 100 was found out to have abused animals, then people will think that the other 99 will have participated because that's just human nature. This is tribalism and it's deeply embedded into people to assume the worst in people in order to validate their negative assumptions of said people. That's how people work. That how you and me work.

Give anybody the benefit of the doubt, and 9 out 10 times, they'll prove you wrong.
Well, an expected coincidence, since I'm sure you are wrong c: I do give them a benefit of a doubt - second, third, tenth chances - and those 9 out of 10 do not disappoint. But then, I'm quite old by web standards, and lack the edges to see the world in dark tones all the time, so it's easier not to focus on negatives at all times.

Minerva_Minx

Explosion loving skooma cat
You must be some sort of saint. Or maybe, I'm just really irritable.
Or both.

People fear what they don't understand. And Furries are not easily understandable and exist as fringe still.

It's not something I've experienced.

A few popufurs have youtube videos where they read hate mail so I suppose it exists, but I'm highly confident they were all from trolls.

Mistakenly think it's nothing more than a fetish or involves sexual activity with actual animals. It's unusual.

Furries are not legally classified as a protected class of people (nor should they be), so I don't believe a crime against a furry could be elevated to "hate crime" status.

Only if you think your assailant would be polite enough to wait while you unsuited to get access your weapon.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
There are Internet forums where you'll be run out on a rail for being furry. Furries have long been one of the safe and favorite punching bags on the Internet and in a number of geek circles. I know people who've been criticized or sometimes, rejected by friends, acquaintances, family members, or colleagues for being furries, and I even know people for whom being furry played a role in them being fired from jobs.

While fursuiting, I've had a beer bottle chucked at me from a car, and I've had people scream obscene and vicious things at me and other fursuiters. One acquaintance was shoved against a wall in a public restroom and verbally threatened. I reckon there are some thoroughly-unhinged people who'll eagerly lash out under the guise of "protecting the children" or "protecting the community."

I do, however, think it's getting better! I'm part of several non-furry discussion groups online where several members are open furries, and where people have been called out for making lazy or mean-spirited anti-furry remarks. Out in the real world, I'm encountering more and more (usually younger) people who are open and nonchalant about being furries. Furries are also increasingly accepted (or at the very least, tolerated) at non-geek cons. Increasingly, when I go out in fursuit, I meet normies who actually have a positive impression of the fandom. Media coverage of the fandom has become more positive and more accurate as of late.

I've talked about this at length before, but I reckon some people hate furries because:

1) We're "weird"
2) We're both literally and figuratively "gay." The idea of men dressing up as cute animals triggers some people's homophobic and misogynistic tendencies, as well as their hang-ups around gender roles
3) They assume furries are pedophiles and/or zoophiles
4) They assume that furries are all about fursuit sex and related kinks
5) Some furries can be undeniably "cringey," geeky, or awkward
6) Some furries are annoyingly outspoken about being furries
7) They're understandably disgusted or disturbed by all or some of the fandom's porn, erotica, and fetish art
8) Seeing someone walk around in a "silly" costume and behave in a "cringey" manner triggers their own insecurities around being seen and judged, which they then project outward as contempt, disgust, and anger
9) They are afraid or anxious about people wearing masks or otherwise concealing their identities, and assume nefarious intent
10) They assume furries are necessarily therians or otherkin (not that it's okay to hate on therians or otherkin, either, mind you)

To each their own, but I'd tend to discourage most folks from fursuiting while armed. It got one person famously banned from Anthrocon, and could actually increase, rather than decrease, risk in various situations. In a pinch, a benign item or accessory that could be employed as a defensive weapon might be a safer, smarter option---say, like a cane or a walking stick.

Last edited: