• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Furry Haters

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
Simple answer: American "anti-degeneracy" culture as well as socially-acceptable homophobia.
The furry fandom is as far as prudish as you can get, so people will hate that. And then there's the fact that people seem to think we're some strange sex cult instead of a garden-variety fandom much like anime or video games.
And a lot of bad people notice how the majority of the fandom happens to be LGBTQ, so they hate on us as a substitute for hating on normie LGBTQ people. Some probably do it subconsciously, too.
Basically, the fandom doesn't fit inside the box that your Reagan-voting grandparents would find acceptable, so it's gonna be controversial, unfortunately.

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
I still see the occasional "furry gas chamber" pictures or the "1 like/repost = 1 dead furry" or the varying con-shooting memes and all that.

I think furries are targeted for being different and are largely only accepted by each other. And of course, things like fursuits and the sexual aspects of any subculture are always going to be unpopular with out-groups.
People still do this in 2021? WTF is wrong with people? Why would people be driven to acts of violence because people are different???
Is the furry community even really hated anymore? There's a few diehards from ye olden days but seems like furries nowadays are seen to be pretty cool
I still get the "Shut up, furry" reply on Twitter on a semi-regular basis. But it's not super common.

Stray Cat Terry

"테리는길냥이"
Human(we are, too, in reality) in nature are always threatened at least on their subconsciousness. And what they do to cope with that, regardless of nations and regions and cultures, is to discriminate those who aren't alike, and feel safe 'uniting' with other beings alike.

Some may call this concept communism and it's not on the entire humanity, I beg to differ. To be precise, this is not a communism, this is just human nature. And I believe the majority of human out there have this 'instinct', if my experiences with people can say anything.

And combined with the fact--that furries, unlike Kemonomimis(I'm refering to human base with animal ears and other parts. Better term?), for example, furries are easier to have 'normal' people feel odd towards--it makes furries an easier target. I believe it's because Kemonimimis have overwhelming numbers of 'officially published' medias like animes, which possibly makes people think Kemonimimis are 'widely acknowledged'; in the meantime, furries ain't, so it's kinda likely that people may regard furries as--in a radical expression--degenerates.

Oh and I'm never trying to offend Kemonomimi fans, I'm just saying what resulted in my experiences and observations. No offense.

Anyways, since those factors doing major job AND there are parts of furries intentionally or accidentally showing off those nsfw stuffs, furry fandom is a 'reasonable' target to pick on. But don't get me wrong, other fandoms also do those nsfw things inside and outside. It's just that the former two factors made people be wary more to hunt 'yeets' and make them more exposed to public.

And last but not the least, the fact. People tend to pay attention more on negative and/or extreme stuffs than positive and/or peaceful stuffs. Now the basis of 'furry hate formula' is complete!

And these processes revolve on and on and on... Here we are, having new people every now and then to wonder what's so wrong with furries.

No matter if you are a furry or one of any other fandoms, haters gonna hate, and you can't change their mind. Why? Haters aren't haters for nothing, they have strong enough beliefs to become haters, and it'll cause you more losses than gains when you try to persuade them. Trust me if you don't wanna waste 10 years wandering in hates and dramas like I did.

Leave them be, you do yours. Your time and efforts worth more than that, so keep doing what you do if anything negative caused by that is only haters' hate.

Enjoy your life! Ow<☆

Last edited:

LazyFerret

Mainstream Media. You've got the notorious CSI episode, the ER episode, countless news coverages of failed conventions, some movies, and other media sources that put Furries in a bad light. The only one I can think of that puts us in a good light is that one Lucifer episode. I suggest watching Aberguine's Furries in the Media series on YT

MrSpookyBoots

Batto with a Bad Leg ;'(
This topic has been beaten to death.

The overabundance of fetish art, the socially awkward userbase, and the more insane and politically charged members within make us easy targets. The fandom has gained special notoriety thanks to events such as Rainfurrest and news incidents that it's not really any wonder why.

It's so clear that I've even considered disassociating with the fandom. We are deemed to be that toxic in the eyes of many. Yeah, "not all furries are like that," but it's still there. The other fandoms I am part of don't even hold a candle to the shit that the furry community has engaged in.

Charleslr'93

Haters gonna hate. This applies to every part of life, and it sucks. Brush yourselves off, keep marching through the rain, and always remember that you, as a individual person, matters to this world, fandom or no fandom.
Don't let their negativity ruin your party, but don't bow down to their level. Your better than that. Your amazing! Keep being amazing. You are loved, you are needed. You are always welcomed home here.

Charleslr'93

Mainstream Media. You've got the notorious CSI episode, the ER episode, countless news coverages of failed conventions, some movies, and other media sources that put Furries in a bad light. The only one I can think of that puts us in a good light is that one Lucifer episode. I suggest watching Aberguine's Furries in the Media series on YT
The media is our true enemy, it's trying to devide humanity up, rather than to unite us together.

Filter

uwu

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
The media is our true enemy, it's trying to devide humanity up, rather than to unite us together.
Their business model is based on what sells and in their case, what sells is hatred anxiety and panic, it's been more obvious than ever in recent years

It's okay to watch them, just remember that you're consuming adrenaline from a board of cynical ideology merchants

Xitheon

I may be mad but I'm perfectly good at it.
I think it can be narrowed down to three main factors:

- Personality
People in the furry fandom tend to be much more open and positive with their feelings and expression, to a degree that feels comical to the average onlooker, and makes them uncomfortable like a second-hand embarrassment. Some people take the as an offense to their dignity I suppose.

- Design
Furries are a very diverse subject, so there are going to be designs in the fandom that, to outsiders, might seem uncanny or strange to them.

- Sexuality (Cw)
A lot of kinks and subcultures make their way into the fandom and kinda develop their own genres, but unfortunately in some cases people do nasty things which makes rounds through the internet, and be misinterpreted as a representation of the fandom. While abhorrent behavior like bestiality or pedophilia is not acceptable, it isn't uniquely inherent to the fandom, and more a symptom of the medium of internet cultures as a whole.

I pretty much agree with all of that.

I think the negative reaction to open displays of emotion are a good point.

I also think that pedophilia is sometimes suspected in furries as the subculture often combines childlike playfulness with NSFW content. The negative stereotypes are creepy adults who prey on children by behaving like children. I really hope I'm correct in thinking that this is untrue and unfair, but even I sometimes wonder if this kind of suspected perversion is based in reality.

FlooferWoofer

Depressed. Going back into lurk mode.
Haters usually fall into one of two camps: Ignorance, or a lack thereof. On one paw, many people may simply dislike us for being different and they seize upon that to make themselves feel better about their own shortcomings. The other group of furry haters may have legitimately good reason to hate on us if their only experience was Rainfurrest or some other very bad representation of us.

Either way, not enitrely justified because one bad experience isn't representative of every experience and no good comes of focusing on the negative aspects anyway. Just try to be the best person you can be, and remember you represent the community. You are furry and in friends' and families' cases, often their only example to look at. ;3

Jaredthefox92

I literally had some idiot furry today block me on Deviantart because he wished I was banned for using harsh language, when the moron himself also used harsh language. Could it be that, le gasp, furries behavior towards others is also the issue? Not saying only furries do this, but there is a reason "baawww" is a meme.

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
I came here to say the same thing - the media will do anything for a story, and to get ratings they will feature "weird" segments of the human population, and intentionally get it "wrong" just to make viewers even more intrigued or disgusted. Even the show Justified had a scene where a guy went to a whorehouse with his bear costume because he was a "furry." They reduced the entire fandom to a sex fetish. . .because, really, that's what viewers want. If it's not weird and kinky, it's going to be boring to them.

The furry fandom is not blameless. There are times it's more like a junior high school cafeteria. Drama and gatekeeping, cliques and backstabbing, bullying and stealing and harassment. . .all the way down to the really nasty stalking, grooming, and various forms of abuse. When members of the fandom defend any aspect of that behavior, or protect the people who engage in it, they're not doing the fandom's reputation any favors.

I think the actual percentage of people who "hate" furries is small, and mostly consists of online bullies, adults who have never moved out of their mom's basement and their entire identity is their online rep.

Faustus

First they came for the Furries
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Furry

Then they came for the Weeaboos
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Weeaboo

Then they came for the Tabletop Role Players
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Tabletop Role Player

Then they came for the Nerds
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Nerd

Then they came for me
And there was no one left
To retweet my angst.

Jaredthefox92

First they came for the Furries
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Furry

Then they came for the Weeaboos
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Weeaboo

Then they came for the Tabletop Role Players
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Tabletop Role Player

Then they came for the Nerds
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Nerd

Then they came for me
And there was no one left
To retweet my angst.

Correction, they came for the tabletop roleplayers and then were gunned down by loyal and faithful servants of the Emperor of Mankind!

Kurushimii

Depressed Monster
They don't like the shitty "OwO" and "UwU" jokes. Can't blame'em, I don't like'em either. OwO
If that weren't a joke but the actual truth then it would be a stupid reason to hate an entire group of people and I honestly could blame them.

Chomby

I'll poke your butt.
Haters be hatin' because bababooey.

Kurushimii

Depressed Monster
i don't know about you guys but i just found this vid funny
I honestly don't. Looking at Flashgitz content, he seems to be a genuine anti-furry which is ironic because he's a Sonic fan, and the videos he puts out against furries is full of stereotypes. The sex toys at the beginning for one, being a furry does not mean being a sex crazed pervert, not to mention some of them being minors, it just means you like cartoon animals. And I don't get how it's a disease? A liking for a certain media is more of a healthy interest.
Not to mention some of his fans do go around attacking furries in the comments even if they do laugh at the video.

Yakamaru

Very Speshul Title
Ok, so what about this guy? Does this make him a furry hater, or someone who likes to satirize the fandom? Maybe he is a furry himself?

Hilarious video series from that guy, love them.

Yakamaru

Very Speshul Title
If that weren't a joke but the actual truth then it would be a stupid reason to hate an entire group of people and I honestly could blame them.
It was a joke.

Chomby

I'll poke your butt.
Ok, so what about this guy? Does this make him a furry hater, or someone who likes to satirize the fandom? Maybe he is a furry himself?

Yeah that series is pretty funny and entertaining. A lot of us are cringy as hell and deserve to be made fun of. Us furries take ourselves too seriously.

Yakamaru

Very Speshul Title
Don't want people to look at furries like sex-crazed deviants? Stop acting like one.
Don't want people to look at furries like they are oversensitive? Grow a thicker skin.

Stereotypes exist for a reason and don't pop into existence out of nowhere. Specific behaviour patterns are observed by enough people and from enough individuals inside specific demographics to create that stereotype. Now the question becomes, why does the furry stereotypes exist? Well, observe the people the stereotype is about in the first place.