• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Furry last names and "John Human" syndrome

Link Wolf

Well, I wanna control Pop Star
I've noticed that people always act so dumbfounded/surprised when they see "Wolf" in my name and yet my species is a kangaroo. It's like their brains just shut down like I'm some strange paradox. I've gotten so many 'tard-faced people blinking at me going "Hurr hurr, shouldn't you be Link Roo?"

It's true, I used to be a wolf once upon a time when I was still searching for a fursona that fit me. I kept the name though, since many people had come to know me as such. But it's annoying that so many people automatically assume if you have a species name in your name, you must be that species.

It's like the concept of last name doesn't exist.

I don't know anyone who goes by "John Human", so why should a last name denote what species someone is?

It's mind boggling..

If everyone's last name is "Wolf" or "Fox", etc, that sort of makes them all part of the same family, which is just bizarre and impossible (Well maybe not, what with all the yiffing going on *shot*)

Note this isn't meant to start a flame war or bashfest or anything of the like. Just a mildly annoying observation.

I don't know anyone who goes by "John Human", so why should a last name denote what species someone is?
BECUZ THAR NAME IS A SACRED THINGY HOLIE NAM BECUZ TEH 1 UB3R SAVOR OF TEH KINDOMS WAS A WOLF WIT A LAS NAME OFF WOLF CUZZ I WAS DRUNKZ WHAN I MADE HIME1

No really, join the club, about 1/4 of furries think the same way.

Zentio

Fluffy Bunbutts
My "fursona last name" is Foxchase. No one ever said anything about it though XD

Well...actually, on this site that was totally non furry (besides having members that were also furries) I went by Zoltan Foxchase for awhile and some members said "HURR SHULDNT IT B KATCHASE?!?"
But I think they were just being stupid xP

Takun

Wof Wof Wof Wof Wof
I had a friend named Jesus. YES HE WAS THE SON OF CHRIST, NO WAY IT COULD BE ANYTHING ELSE.

Anyway, add an 'e'. Be Link Wolfe and shut them up.

Seas

a sentient shade of teal
It's annoying when people assume my username/nickname/whatever has anything to do with the pc game s.t.a.l.k.e.r ...
I don't even like that game much , and started using this name before i've known of the development of the game (yea it was long time ago) .

EDIT: Not even speaking of that another , less known, stupid game that goes exactly like my name.
I (almost) RAEG'd when i found out

Last edited:

Owwin

Tests on animals.
What I don't get is why they think you a person using the internet can't have whatever user name you want. Nobody here is actually a kangaroo. At least I don't think so. If so we have to capture this intelligent kangaroo before it begins teaching the others.

Beastcub

people think i am a baby fur because of my user name ....
if only i had known more about the fandom before i chose that name
(no offence to baby furs...it's just i am not one and thus do not want to be associated with its affiliated strange stuff)

as to the OP the people who get confused why you used wolf in your name when you are a roo are likley not zelda fans, i see the fan connecttion right away (via the name and roo colors) so i dissconect the name from your species. (...the name does reffer to twilight princess where link turns into a wolf...right?)

Alblaka

Restless and lonely Dragon
W(hy)TH you need a last name? XD
At least i will never have or need one ^^

Midi Bear

11/10/08
When joining second life, I decided my sona should have a last name. So now his name's Midnight Luminos. Nobody will base my species by the last name. Mwuahaha!

darkdy50

JD the shapeshifter mage
my names John Doe, dose that make me a deer, no! my moms name after the godess of death, dose that mean she is......yea

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
Worse yet are the dragons with their overly grandiose names. I'm looking atcha, Thunderwing.
Even worse are the dragons that include their fetish in their name. Like Eragon Cocktorture.

talakestreal

The Laconic Draconic
I have absolutely no room to talk about names. My full fursona name embarrasses the hell out of me now. I can't help that when I was younger, I thought the stars were talking to me and gave me a name to keep.

Treshekera Nomis Tomane. Name of the North Star's Child.

Gods, does that ever sound like a dragon name. And so wholly a stereotypical power-name. >.< Thus is why I go by Talakestreal here. I like names that have no meanings in the English language. All of my names are like that.

Lost

in color
Worse yet are the dragons with their overly grandiose names. I'm looking atcha, Thunderwing.

Well im glad with my name, short and to the point(if i can ever remember wut it was)

Rofl Azure!

NalinOtter

The otter of your dreams...
I never gave Nalin a last name, mostly cuz I don't know any Hindi last names to go with it other than "Patel" or "Arya". I put in otter before I knew that your species was displayed under your name.

Anbessa

I'm unique. I don't need no last name.

besides, my name already depicts my species, but in a different language. in times one must be creative with the search for names... instead of "XXXthisorthat".

I only added "Fox" to the end of my name 'cause there several other Duncans more well-known than me. I figure it'll cut down on confusion.

people put their species in their name because they think that its interesting, and in most communities it would be

what they're missing is that fursonas are actually normal for furries so putting wolf or fox in a name makes it more generic than unique within our little subculture

also naming yourself after your fursona's species implies that your fursona's species is one of the most interesting things about you, which is not too great of a thing to imply