• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Furry Society VS Your Fursona

Punk_M0nitor

Resident Edgelord
Anyone else ever thought of the bizarre and incredibly specific accommodations a 100% anthro world would need to best suit all of its inhabitants? I mean, animals have such insane biological disparities compared to humans. Some media (like Zootopia) simplifies the matter by limiting their world to mammals only, but Beastars included a lot of interesting subtleties like avians needing flying licenses

I guess the point of this thread would be:

What species-specific accommodation would your fursona need to get around, or what might they need to be careful of considering other species/their surroundings? What might others find odd about your fursona's species?

In my fursona's case, being a lace monitor (an arboreal species), he'd definitely prefer living in places that are higher up---maybe the top floor of a multi-level apartment. The cost of heating would also be... less than ideal in colder weather and he'd always have to have some portable heating pack on his person (plus, reptiles don't shiver to warm their bodies, so he'd be real tired if he even goes outside at all)

And do you think reptiles get passes from being considered rude when they stick their tongues out at people? It does help them smell, after all---or would that imply the other person smells??? o_O

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
Anyone else ever thought of the bizarre and incredibly specific accommodations a 100% anthro world would need to best suit all of its inhabitants? I mean, animals have such insane biological disparities compared to humans. Some media (like Zootopia) simplifies the matter by limiting their world to mammals only, but Beastars included a lot of interesting subtleties like avians needing flying licenses

What species-specific accommodation would your fursona need to get around, or what might they need to be careful of considering other species/their surroundings? What might others find odd about your fursona's species?

In my fursona's case, being a lace monitor (an arboreal species), he'd definitely prefer living in places that are higher up---maybe the top floor of a multi-level apartment. The cost of heating would also be... less than ideal in colder weather and he'd always have to have some portable heating pack on his person (plus, reptiles don't shiver to warm their bodies, so he'd be real tired if he even goes outside at all)

And do you think reptiles get passes from being considered rude when they stick their tongues out at people? It does help them smell, after all---or would that imply the other person smells??? o_O
I literally ALWAYS think about things like this and was about to make a thread. You beat me to it :p
Being a bun, he would need lots of veggies.
Also, flying licenses for birds is dumb and speciesist.

Punk_M0nitor

Resident Edgelord
Also, flying licenses for birds is dumb and speciesist.

I always did find it kinda odd. I guess they don't teach their kids to fly as soon as real birds tend to?

Punk_M0nitor

Resident Edgelord
Not allowing a bird to fly is highly dumb and I will be joining the birds as an ally at the march for bird rights tomorrow.

Bird flights matter

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
They can eat skunks, I don't mind. We can genetically engineer them to have no stink. Perfect! Anyways, I have to prepare my bird fursuit costume for the march fly.

Omg yusss!!!!

As long as they land somewhere to relieve themselves, I don't care where they fly. XD

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
As long as they land somewhere to relieve themselves, I don't care where they fly. XD
Yes. Anti Bird Flighters say that birds would poop everywhere. First of all, that is really rude and offensive, and second of all, they could already do that under the current system. No bird would stoop so low as to poop in mid air.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
Yes. Anti Bird Flighters say that birds would poop everywhere. First of all, that is really rude and offensive, and second of all, they could already do that under the current system. No bird would stoop so low as to poop in mid air.
Hmmm.... at that point you might want to consider licensing them. What if they become intoxicated and smash into some apartment window? <8[

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
Hmmm.... at that point you might want to consider licensing them. What if they become intoxicated and smash into some apartment window? <8[
Well, that would accomplish nothing. They already HAVE to have a license. BIRD FLIGHTS MATTER.
(I don't remember the flying license in Zootopia. I do know it was in Beastars. I think.)

Punk_M0nitor

Resident Edgelord
Well, that would accomplish nothing. They already HAVE to have a license. BIRD FLIGHTS MATTER.
(I don't remember the flying license in Zootopia. I do know it was in Beastars. I think.)
^^ It was only in Beastars! Zootopia did not have avian characters, sadly. Only mammals

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー
If carnivores and herbivores are on the same civilization...

1)
I expect there to be rank/class systems. This way, the carnivores can just go hunt/keep those low class 'meats', and herbivores won't need to worry about fellow carnivores harming them.

The hunting against same or higher classes shall be set illegal by law, preferably multiple laws. And again, since the meat supply comes from low classes, the carnivores won't have to worry too much of their supplies.

I guess the omnivores have the least worries in terms of food.

2)
Or, the setups around the evolution from ferals to furries may include becoming omnivorous. (Specifics may vary) This way, the above complications aren't likely too necessary.

3)
Or, we can have a whole new era ferals, unlike furries. They may have clearly similar traits of the same ancestors, or they can have evolved far much that it doesn't feel like sharing the same ancestors as furries, etc. Anyways, should there be another ferals serving as ferals now, furry civilizations won't have to hunt for or fend off each other.

Last edited:

MrSpookyBoots

Disgusted...
I'm thinking of developing a vampire bat fursona. As Stray Cat Terry mentioned above, it's complicated enough with carnivores and herbivores. But what about hemovores (animals that only drink blood)? Obviously such a fur could not go around sampling everyone's blood. If a furry society actually existed, I think there would almost certainly be a stigma toward vampire furs in general. A key aspect of society could be a specific type of "blood bank" system designed to assist those with such needs. However, I imagine such a system would be difficult to maintain, especially with how much blood hospitals use.

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!

My fursona is a red fox, so I doubt he'd need much accommodation, lol.
Red foxies are so versatile, we're invading cities now! >:3

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat

I think I'd be fine almost anywhere...as a large cat I can make it in our world just fine and am very adaptable to most other environments naturally. But I love the idea you raised! For more examples, let's break our brains:

Are skunks allowed on public transportation without a warning?
What is everyone eating at restaurants?
Is drinking milk publicly considered sexual harassment?
Is a hairless animal indecent or welcomed? (to me, all are welcome nude or no!)
Do nocturnal animals co-exist peacefully, or within their own world so to speak? Otherwise nobody's getting any sleep! Too noisy!
Are some jobs considered class extortion/discrimination if you only hire animals with natural talents for the job? (like only beaver lumberjacks, dolphin or shark coast guard, elephants for construction jobs, etc...)
What the hell does the jail look like, seeing the wide range of creatures it would have to accommodate? Each cell must be adaptable or it's cruelty or deadly and they'd need hundreds!!!

Rayd

philosophy & psychology nerd
every time this is brought up, i just think about how realistically terrible a world like zootopia would be. even though it's fantasy, it's still interesting to think about it.

mass production of pretty much everything would be almost entirely impossible because instead of making clothes, food (and their portions), housing, furniture, vehicles, tools, electronics, etc. for 1 species, you would have to accommodate for hundreds of thousands of species of different sizes, shapes, etc. - the entire world would be made up of factories, farms, and very specific stores and housing districts to make up for this problem, posing massive pollution and economy issues.

not to mention the safety concerns of public activities and structures due to the size of certain species. imagine a mouse or a squirrel hurting themselves climbing a flight of stairs far too big for them, or getting trampled in a crowd. imagine building an elevator and having to keep in mind the potential weight of users, thus having to expend more materials to make said elevator have a ridiculous weight capacity. public seating, transportation, recreational activities and really any public business would also be impossible to make inclusive. relatability of products and media (TV, social media, etc.) would be much lower.

how would carnivores even survive in such a society?

crime and imprisonment would also be a huge issue. police forces would have to be retrained to know how to deal with criminals of a species much smaller or larger than them, and would have to be given different equipment to handle them. (including tasers, as surely a normal taser would be fatal to much smaller species). criminals of a large species could commit atrocities much easier, criminals of a small species can stay in hiding much easier. pretty much every carnivore/omnivore have sharp weapons attached to their hands/mouths. the numbers of prisons to accommodate for every species would also be insane. we already have a problem with prisoner population.

don't get me started on politics, racism and discrimination. we already have huge continuous problems with those things as one species, i'd hate to imagine it with thousands. especially since we'd have the divide of carnivores and herbivores, and the divide of everything i mentioned above. it would be incredibly easy to feel disregarded or oppressed as a species in a world like this, which would lead into their own problems.

and those are just a few of the problems i can think of off the top of my head. i'm sure there's dozens if not thousands of issues that each would make the entire civilization collapse on itself.

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
As a writer (amateur one, anyways), I depict my 100% anthro worlds much like our own. The only difference being...everything is vegan, for lack of a better term. No meat, it's all artificially made...but still tastes and feels the same as real meat.

I also think that if animals were anthro...they wouldn't have to worry about special requirements such as reptiles needing to stay toasty all the time. I suppose the 'anthro' part of it implies that animals have become like humans, able to tolerate most conditions fairly OK. I tend to think anthros have evolved to be well-rounded and have changed their diet to accommodate for the food, climate and all the rest.

Plus...you could say Star Wars has the same problem, yet most species or aliens can easily survive on different planets. Heck, it seems humans are the only ones who need any life support systems...just look at the Stormtrooper's helmets, which have filters.

I think that you can mostly ignore the problems it might present, though I do acknowledge there'll always be some that aren't easy to get around.

D

Deleted member 134556

Unfortunately us dragons would probably be seen as dangerous and bad tempered. We would probably be prohibited from breathing fire even in self defense. It would also be hard to get a tailor that can modify clothing to fit our wings and tails.

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
Being a fox, real life foxes do actually have scent glands (sort of like skunks) near their butt that make them have a very unpleasant and pungent scent. So, first thing I would need is a medical professional, so I don end up making everywhere I walk into smell like a crypt.

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
Being a fox, real life foxes do actually have glands near their butt that make them have a very unpleasant and pungent scent. So, first thing I would need is a medical professional, so I don end up making everywhere I walk into smell like a crypt.
Ironically, I'd put skunks on that case. They know about pungent smells...and probably know about masking them.

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
I think I'd be fine almost anywhere...as a large cat I can make it in our world just fine and am very adaptable to most other environments naturally. But I love the idea you raised! For more examples, let's break our brains:

Are skunks allowed on public transportation without a warning?
What is everyone eating at restaurants?
Is drinking milk publicly considered sexual harassment?
Is a hairless animal indecent or welcomed? (to me, all are welcome nude or no!)
Do nocturnal animals co-exist peacefully, or within their own world so to speak? Otherwise nobody's getting any sleep! Too noisy!
Are some jobs considered class extortion/discrimination if you only hire animals with natural talents for the job? (like only beaver lumberjacks, dolphin or shark coast guard, elephants for construction jobs, etc...)
What the hell does the jail look like, seeing the wide range of creatures it would have to accommodate? Each cell must be adaptable or it's cruelty or deadly and they'd need hundreds!!!
Hmmm..... let me try to answer some of these questions.

1. In real life, there are procedures to remove the glands from a skunk. Maybe it would be sort of a norm/tradition (for skunks of course) to remove the glands from a skunk at a young age, much like the real-life practice of circumcision.

2. It could depend. I would assume anthros could eat a wider range of foods (for example, pandas wouldn't have to eat bamboo, and maybe some carnivores could eat some veggies in addition to what they eat). Maybe it could be like a "make your own meal" or buffet type thing where you can choose a meal and say what you want in it.

3. I don't think it would be sexual harassment, considering the ALMOST ALL mammals produce milk so if you were a female anthro maybe acceptable? Other than that, In beastars they say that the cows and chickens can give what they produce up if they want to, seeing as chickens constantly produce eggs and such.

4. Hairless animals would not be considered indecent. (Are they wearing clothes?). Maybe they would be treated worse/discriminated because they don't meet the "standards" of society. Much like how many people see hairless animals today as ugly.

5. Here is a fun fact: 70% of all mammals are nocturnal! Only 20% are diurnal (like us), and the rest is other. (Staying awake at dusk/dawn, always up, etc.). So at least for mammals, it would be the other way around lol. Maybe there would be certain areas in towns for nocturnals and some for diurnals, somewhat away from the city center. Or maybe they just put soundproofing in their walls

6. I think animals that would "fit" the job would be unfairly given a small advantage when applying for that job, but I don't think a job can be entirely one animal. I don't think EVERY beaver wants to be a lumberjack, EVERY dolphin wants to be on the coast guard, or EVERY elephant wants to be on a construction job. Yes, certain animals are good at certain jobs by nature, but since they have a personality, I think they would choose which job they wanted/got a degree for/easiest/most fun/etc. much like us. Unless this was a communist society or whatever in which case, every beaver would be a lumberjack by force or something I guess lol.

7. Jail would probably have maybe three sizes of cell, one for large animals (elephants, whales I assume, giraffes, etc.) one for normal-sized animals (the standard wolves, foxes, etc.) and one for smaller animals (rodents and so on). There. Maybe they have ways to adjust the size of things like toilets and sinks and beds but other than that, they wouldn't be too accommodating, other wise it would be a hotel not a jail cell lol.

I DID IT!!! It took quite a while lol!