• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Furry Society VS Your Fursona

Punk_M0nitor

Resident Edgelord & Local Robot Kinnie
how would carnivores even survive in such a society?
Zootopia didn't touch on this topic, but Beastars solved the problem by making all foods vegetarian (substituting meat with high-protein vegetarian alternatives resembling meat, including soy, or seafood options, since I don't think any of the characters were sea animals or bugs)---and even then there were societal divides caused by what they called devourings, as well as a black market that distributed either ethically or non-ethically sourced meat products. The ethically sourced meat came from hospitals (animals who were already dead). Non-ethically sourced meat came from... well... anywhere from covertly breeding livestock to herbivores selling their own limbs. Even among carnivores the black market remains an ethical dilemma.

So, surely, there would be supplements and alternatives to meat, but there is definitely no clear-cut answer and carnivorous animals are still carnivorous animals. I suppose some of it depends on which animals are anthropomorphic and which aren't, and what means are available to substitute or fulfill those needs

Last edited:

redhusky

Emperor of Floof! King of the Rats and Spamlord!
There'd need to be a VERY flexible marriage system and/or some sort of specie specific rule set for child support since what we would consider to be polygamy and single parent house holds are the norm for some animals. Like horses/sheep/lions/etc having one male getting the majority of the females. Some big cats only mating and the mother having the take care of the cubs alone. And some reptiles laying eggs and/or giving birth and almost immediately leaving the kids on their own.

TheCynicalViet

In the universe that my fursona and my other characters inhabit, food is a little bit weird. In a setting where characters are anthropomorphic, I decided to make actual animals as alien as possible while still resembling the animals they're based off of. For example, in my comic, cattle are still quadrupedal and look close enough to cattle but have black skin with a white, bony exoskeleton along with extra body parts like eyes or organs or limbs or even tendrils. And that sort of applies to all true animals. So that the carnivores still get to eat "meat" without eating their fellow anthros.

In a short story outside of the main plot, there is an explanation as to why things work like this.

Punk_M0nitor

There'd need to be a VERY flexible marriage system and/or some sort of specie specific rule set for child support since what we would consider to be polygamy and single parent house holds are the norm for some animals. Like horses/sheep/lions/etc having one male getting the majority of the females. Some big cats only mating and the mother having the take care of the cubs alone. And some reptiles laying eggs and/or giving birth and almost immediately leaving the kids on their own.

That's actually a very interesting point! Endangered species should also be considered, since some species die off faster than they can reproduce or adapted too slowly to a changing environment. Would there be counseling and protection programs for endangered species families?

For the 'polygamy' situation, I propose a flexible marriage system divided into sections run by members of specific species. That way, they are receiving advice and a legally valid marriage from those who know their species' family system better than anyone else. The only problem therein is that smaller species might have more trouble getting married because marriage resources would be harder to come by

Punk_M0nitor

In the universe that my fursona and my other characters inhabit, food is a little bit weird. In a setting where characters are anthropomorphic, I decided to make actual animals as alien as possible while still resembling the animals they're based off of. For example, in my comic, cattle are still quadrupedal and look close enough to cattle but have black skin with a white, bony exoskeleton along with extra body parts like eyes or organs or limbs or even tendrils. And that sort of applies to all true animals. So that the carnivores still get to eat "meat" without eating their fellow anthros.

In a short story outside of the main plot, there is an explanation as to why things work like this.

I'm intrigued o.o
This is also a pretty nice take on the 'some animals are anthro, some aren't' perspective. Gotta admit, it's pretty odd to see a world full of anthro mammals but the other animals are just... normal animals. Where did evolution go wrong there?

Azeleon

gay lizard gang
I always thought that when it comes to carnivores in a furry world, that the solution would be that regular animals exist alongside anthro animals.
Imagine comparing a human to a monkey, that'd be similar to comparing an anthro dog person to a regular dog, I'd think they're different enough that it wouldn't be odd for carnivorous furries to eat meat of animals.

But for my sona in this hypothetical world, being a chameleon + gecko + snake, I'd definitely need to live in a warmer place, and would mostly eat meat. My only way to smell is with my tongue, so people would have to get used to me sticking my tongue out all the time, lol.
As for things specific to my sona in general, my rather short height would probably mean I'd have to be stuck with a lot of clothes meant for kids, and my ability to change color (due to my chameleon side) might be confusing to some who don't realize I'm part chameleon.

BlackDragonAJ89

Bumbling Everyman
For me, it really depends on how the world/universe works. Dysmal's Shitopia Zootopia is a prime example of how NOT to write a fully anthromorphic world because on one hand, it wants to have the zany "funny animal" vibes, but it also wants to have a "very serious world-building" moment going on. You should never try to follow the model of the Mouse, ever.

I'm not bugged if you have regular animals and anthros in the same place; after all, we still have many of our primate cousins around, and some people have found them to be rather delicious (not me personally, but eating monkey is a real thing). Likewise, an athromorphic dog walking a feral dog is only jarring because again, that blasted House of Mouse did a shit job of designing regular animals differently from the more anthromorphized ones. Then again, many studios back in the Golden Age of animation were more focused on gags and comedy than serious world building and didn't care what the end result was so long as it was funny, dammit! Even the bullfights had to be funny!

Of course, my solution is often to limit the kinds of animals that have are anthromorphic in order to balance things out. In all anthro/funny animal world, I do not use domesticated animals (no pets or livestock animals), fantasy creatures (no dragons), and do not use invertebrates as anthro characters. Likewise, the only aquatic creatures that I use are sharks, whales, and dolphins, and most other animals are often ones with a strong symbolic meaning (like lions), have strong social systems already (like hyenas or gazelles), high intelligence (like primates and parrots), or high adaptability (like bears). Of course, these are the stiffing rules for a pure all anthro animal world.

In something more like a fantasy setting or with humans involved, the list of animals I'd use for anthro/monster races/species is even smaller and often more of a combination of species or ideas. For my fantasy setting I'm trying to build up, given that it avoids using any of the stock fantasy races (orcs, trolls, elves, etc.), the only animals I'm using for anthros are gazelles/antelope, pandas, a reptilian race mostly inspired by snakes, pigs (because they're like orcs I suppose), some cat-like people, corvids, and monkeys (because this fantasy setting is pretty much inspired by mid-Asia, northern Africa, and Mesoamerican stuff).

After all in World of Warcraft, you can:
Be a minotaur who eats beef and skins cattle.
Be a panda who hunts bears, tames bears, rides bears, eats bear meat, and skins bears.
Be a werewolf who hunts wolves (and other werewolves), tame wolves, ride wolves, eat wolf meat, and skins wolves.
Be a fenec fox who hunts foxes, skins foxes, tames foxes, and even can ride a fox or two (there's not a lot of fox mounts).

So really, it just depends on limits you set for yourself and world.

And don't get me started on things like non-mammalian mammaries or non-mammalian hair... Especially if you're dealing with a fantasy or very cartoony setting. After all, most mammals are colorblind, lack vocal chords, don't have the milk bags be as big as humans have them, have very short life spans, and tend to be very drab colored.

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
Imagine being a doctor. You would have to know the anatomy of many different species as well as species-specific diseases and such. It would be impossible to research new drugs as they could have a differing effect on different species. Imagine having to know a standard dose of medicine for a elephant vs a wolf vs a mouse. o_O

redhusky

That's actually a very interesting point! Endangered species should also be considered, since some species die off faster than they can reproduce or adapted too slowly to a changing environment. Would there be counseling and protection programs for endangered species families?

For the 'polygamy' situation, I propose a flexible marriage system divided into sections run by members of specific species. That way, they are receiving advice and a legally valid marriage from those who know their species' family system better than anyone else. The only problem therein is that smaller species might have more trouble getting married because marriage resources would be harder to come by
I actually do have complex marriage systems set up for each type that I previously mentioned. For example, "Alpha" types, where there is only one male for a bunch of females. Note, that there is a bunch of subsets and this is mostly in the case of canines that I'm about to describe below. Also note, it's not specie specific but mostly depending on where you live that a marriage system is accepted unless you are an immigrant that you move and were already married "a different way". Otherwise, you'd be socially expected to do so as well.

In my universe the "General Canine Alpha Type" of marriage (GCAT), polygamy is allowed but legally what normally happens is the male would get "his Alpha" first and that would be what we considered "the wife". And what normally happens in the wild, the other females would vet whether or not other females come into the pack/pride and so too would any other female wanting to join "the pack/pride/herd/etc". In this case the "Alpha" would get the final say if it's ok for another female to join provided she is willing to do "x,y, and z" for the pack/family and accept her place in the hierarchy and if she doesn't do what she supposed to she can get booted, "get divorced", from the pack. Aside from that, she'd be what we considered "common law married" by our standards. Other females that are less formally allowed to join temporarily, or be "attached", would referred to as a "girlfriend" and would be more akin to a "camp follower". They are either just hanging around for economic/social reasons for the time being or trying to get in good standing with the others until she can convince the Alpha to let her in. For context, the "first wife" is always referred to as his "Alpha"and the others are referred to as his "wife". So if he was talking to someone and he mentioned "his wife" you'd assume he was talking about another one of his wives and not his "Alpha". And mentioning his "girlfriend", you'd assume it was one of his "camp followers" or "attached".

The average length of time a "girlfriend" would stick around would be about 1 - 6 months tops and would bounce around household unless they chose to live alone. But if they want children it would be expected to join a household. And in order to be a good prospect to be let in they would specialize in something, like cooking, cleaning, steady employment, etc.

So it's goes:
Wife = Alpha
Other wife(s) = Beta
Girlfriend(s) = Omega

A typical family size would be 1 Alpha male, 1 Alpha female, 1 - 2 wife(s), and 2 -4 girlfriends (always fluctuating).

As far as the reasoning of why they do it this way, it's a form of "it takes a village" and every one is expected to pitch in in some way. From house keeping, bringing in income, child care, etc. As far as who runs the domestic household, it's expected that the Alpha female would do so and the Alpha male would lead the main "bread winning efforts".

Only his children by the Alpha would be his "legitimate" children and can inherit anything legally but he's still legally required for him to support any children from the other "wives". It's also not considered infidelity if he sleeps with any of the girlfriends while the are "attached" to the household but after they leave then it is. As for as sex between the females, it's a given since there's only one male in the picture between them all and no other males are allowed to touch any of them. They are HIS wives after all. It would be as a big of a no-no as in a monogamous relationship. And as far as bringing other women into the pack, the Alpha female would be the one to do so since the domestic household is her domain.

There is more to this but I don't want to write a novel, I actually do have system for all the types since this is indeed fascinating. And note that this is General Canine Alpha Type, so depending on where you live this is the baseline type of marriage system for canines. And as far a monogamy, it would be practiced until you found a home to settled down in then you'd start a household.

Also, another thing in an anthro universe to consider is slavery and prostitution since both of those thing are practice in the animal kingdom IRL.

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
I actually do have complex marriage systems set up for each type that I previously mentioned. For example, "Alpha" types, where there is only one male for a bunch of females. Note, that there is a bunch of subsets and this is mostly in the case of canines that I'm about to describe below. Also note, it's not specie specific but mostly depending on where you live that a marriage system is accepted unless you are an immigrant that you move and were already married "a different way". Otherwise, you'd be socially expected to do so as well.

In my universe the "General Canine Alpha Type" of marriage (GCAT), polygamy is allowed but legally what normally happens is the male would get "his Alpha" first and that would be what we considered "the wife". And what normally happens in the wild, the other females would vet whether or not other females come into the pack/pride and so too would any other female wanting to join "the pack/pride/herd/etc". In this case the "Alpha" would get the final say if it's ok for another female to join provided she is willing to do "x,y, and z" for the pack/family and accept her place in the hierarchy and if she doesn't do what she supposed to she can get booted, "get divorced", from the pack. Aside from that, she'd be what we considered "common law married" by our standards. Other females that are less formally allowed to join temporarily, or be "attached", would referred to as a "girlfriend" and would be more akin to a "camp follower". They are either just hanging around for economic/social reasons for the time being or trying to get in good standing with the others until she can convince the Alpha to let her in. For context, the "first wife" is always referred to as his "Alpha"and the others are referred to as his "wife". So if he was talking to someone and he mentioned "his wife" you'd assume he was talking about another one of his wives and not his "Alpha". And mentioning his "girlfriend", you'd assume it was one of his "camp followers" or "attached".

The average length of time a "girlfriend" would stick around would be about 1 - 6 months tops and would bounce around household unless they chose to live alone. But if they want children it would be expected to join a household. And in order to be a good prospect to be let in they would specialize in something, like cooking, cleaning, steady employment, etc.

So it's goes:
Wife = Alpha
Other wife(s) = Beta
Girlfriend(s) = Omega

A typical family size would be 1 Alpha male, 1 Alpha female, 1 - 2 wife(s), and 2 -4 girlfriends (always fluctuating).

As far as the reasoning of why they do it this way, it's a form of "it takes a village" and every one is expected to pitch in in some way. From house keeping, bringing in income, child care, etc. As far as who runs the domestic household, it's expected that the Alpha female would do so and the Alpha male would lead the main "bread winning efforts".

Only his children by the Alpha would be his "legitimate" children and can inherit anything legally but he's still legally required for him to support any children from the other "wives". It's also not considered infidelity if he sleeps with any of the girlfriends while the are "attached" to the household but after they leave then it is. As for as sex between the females, it's a given since there's only one male in the picture between them all and no other males are allowed to touch any of them. They are HIS wives after all. It would be as a big of a no-no as in a monogamous relationship. And as far as bringing other women into the pack, the Alpha female would be the one to do so since the domestic household is her domain.

There is more to this but I don't want to write a novel, I actually do have system for all the types since this is indeed fascinating. And note that this is General Canine Alpha Type, so depending on where you live this is the baseline type of marriage system for canines. And as far a monogamy, it would be practiced until you found a home to settled down in then you'd start a household.

Also, another thing in an anthro universe to consider is slavery and prostitution since both of those thing are practice in the animal kingdom IRL.
Jesus this is complicated lol, it is neat, but too much for my small bun brain to comprehend. Imagine being a lawyer in family court or whatever and having to memorize the exact set of laws for every single species.

I have some questions for you and your great system (I am truly amazed that you can write all this lol)!
What about buns/lagomorphs? I am interested!
Also, what about gay marriage? Homosexuality exists in nature, and having to always follow a set family structure would be irritating to some.

redhusky

Jesus this is complicated lol, it is neat, but too much for my small bun brain to comprehend. Imagine being a lawyer in family court or whatever and having to memorize the exact set of laws for every single species.

I have some questions for you and your great system (I am truly amazed that you can write all this lol)!
What about buns/lagomorphs? I am interested!
Also, what about gay marriage? Homosexuality exists in nature, and having to always follow a set family structure would be irritating to some.

I actually do have several systems for buns since buns live in different ways. I'll get back to you that one since I don't have time atm. I WILL get back to you though!

And they don't have a problem with homosexuality, in general, but they are aren't down with gay marriage. They take a more "conservative" approach to marriage as it's for building communities and raising children. One thing they do, as we do IRL with animals, is "pedigree breed". So they would marry someone for the sole purpose having children being "purebred". So someone in the GCAT system would get a wife to make sure that some of their children are "purebred" and thus be more marriageable. You see the correlation in IRL, yes? It's something that upper class twits mostly do too much but every does it to some extent.

Also, a good article on gay animals. Homosexual behavior in animals - Wikipedia

Plus, just for you! Gay Giraffes: The Anime!

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
I actually do have several systems for buns since buns live in different ways. I'll get back to you that one since I don't have time atm. I WILL get back to you though!

And they don't have a problem with homosexuality, in general, but they are aren't down with gay marriage. They take a more "conservative" approach to marriage as it's for building communities and raising children. One thing they do, as we do IRL with animals, is "pedigree breed". So they would marry someone for the sole purpose having children being "purebred". So someone in the GCAT system would get a wife to make sure that some of their children are "purebred" and thus be more marriageable. You see the correlation in IRL, yes? It's something that upper class twits mostly do too much but every does it to some extent.

Also, a good article on gay animals. Homosexual behavior in animals - Wikipedia

Plus, just for you! Gay Giraffes: The Anime!
Lol I read that Wikipedia article already ^^

What anime is that? Seems extremely gay :D!
Also, poor lighter-colored giraffe. He was used and then dumped D:

Also2, bad, bad society! Gay marriage is perfectly okay! I guess I have another march to attend.

Punkedsolar

Never say never
What species-specific accommodation would your fursona need to get around, or what might they need to be careful of considering other species/their surroundings? What might others find odd about your fursona's species?

Hmm, for the critter here, very little. Though I can't imagine a heavily feathered bird would want to wear clothing at all in a hot country.

redhusky

Lol I read that Wikipedia article already ^^

What anime is that? Seems extremely gay :D!
Also, poor lighter-colored giraffe. He was used and then dumped D:

Also2, bad, bad society! Gay marriage is perfectly okay! I guess I have another march to attend.
It's Murenase! Seton Gakuen

Also, yeah. They can be really brutal/unfair at times since I base a lot their laws and customs on IRL animal customs.
On that note, join the march for male hyena rights! FIGHT THE MATRIARCHY!

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
It's Murenase! Seton Gakuen

Also, yeah. They can be really brutal/unfair at times since I base a lot their laws and customs on IRL animal customs.
On that note, join the march for male hyena rights! FIGHT THE MATRIARCHY!
Ah, the amazing Minute Earth. Have watched many of their videos including this one before. I guess I have yet another march to attend...
Also adding Politician to the long list of very intense and impossible anthro jobs.

redhusky

Ah, the amazing Minute Earth. Have watched many of their videos including this one before. I guess I have yet another march to attend...
Also adding Politician to the long list of very intense and impossible anthro jobs.
Follow your dreams!
Anime helps me figure out mine!

The-Courier

Dreamer of Cheese
I have an eight-foot-tall alien from a highly militaristic warrior society that's done a bunch of terrible shit under the guise of a false religion. They'd probably be shunned or looked down upon in furry society.