• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Furry Survey 2012? Yes!

Klisoura

Hey folks!

The old thread referred to a survey now deceased, Furry Survey 2011. Now, for the 2012 model year, I'm proud to introduce the creatively named Furry Survey 2012. Which you should take (unless you have already taken the Furry Survey this year), because it makes you a better person. Furry Survey is a yearly surveying effort that tracks broad demographic questions, psychographic information (behaviours and values) and things like convention attendance and which websites you visit.

Real-time results from some of the questions are posted here. "Full" results from last year are available here. "Full" is in quotes because I have not yet visualized location (being worked on by Makyo) or species (being worked on by... some other illustrious person).

Frequently Asked Questimoticons!
Q. I have already taken this, haven't I? ):
A. Yes, probably. But you should take it yearly, like a physical. Seriously, I (and others) use the yearly refreshes of the survey to track yearly changes in the fandom, which means I would really like it if you took it every year. In fact if you see me in person, I will give you a cookie for it.

Q. Am I anonymous? o_O
A. Sort of. Entries are identified by a unique ID that is a salted hash of your IP address. I make objective data (what you didn't write in) available to other researchers and writers, but I will never share anything you write or that could be used to personally identify you.

Q. You're not a real scientist, are you? >:C
A. Well. I was trained in demographic analysis and I have designed Real Surveys before, for money and everything. Also, it's untrue that I'm not a real scientist; I have a doctorate in Krispology from Kellogg's University.

Q. Why didn't you ask [x]? -_-
A. Either I didn't get around to it or I thought the survey was long enough already. Which it is.

Q. I have another question :<
A. Ask me. My AIM, Skype and phone number are available here.

You guys (that is, furries in general) rock, and you rock for being willing to take the time to take this survey. I get requests for survey data all the time, from journalists, people trying to explain the fandom to their parents or friends, graduate students, people writing papers and, most importantly to me I think, other furries who are just curious about the fandom and want to know a little bit more about it. The people who give me a few minutes or their time to take this are providing invaluable, deeply appreciated assistance, and I'm really happy you do.

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
I like how you distinguished between high school and secondary school, and college and university, but here in the UK, High School is called College, while secondary school is below both. It's hard to know what to choose.

Seian Verian

Too lazy to sleep
Filled it out!

...There were at least one or two answers I probably would have been terrified to give had it not been anonymous...

Klisoura

I don't even know why I took this.

We already addressed this. You took it because it makes you a better person >:[

Seriously, here's why: because people aren't as knee-jerk as you think. The fandom has a reputation for having a reputation, because we have our... uh. Our outré elements, let's put it that way. But we've also convinced ourselves that we're hated ipso facto and that's wrong. The people who use the data range from scientists to authors to curious everyday folks. This data block is what says, "no, actually, we're pretty normal, and here's how. And why. And what we're about."

I understand that the fandom ticks its members off sometimes. We feel embarrassed; we feel like it's a black mark on our proclivities. Sure. But the fandom, writ large, is a lot of cool people. It's people who are creative — 96% of furries create in some fashion, be it suiting or writing or drawing or roleplaying. It's people who are active, and engaged with the world, and open to new experiences. And people ought to know that, instead of random crap or the worst dross of a Google search.

I think, anyway.

I like how you distinguished between high school and secondary school, and college and university, but here in the UK, High School is called College, while secondary school is below both. It's hard to know what to choose.

Yeah. I'm aware that this is a limitation. It reflects an American bias to the fandom, which is accurate but unfortunate. How would you recommend I resolve it?

Filled it out!

...There were at least one or two answers I probably would have been terrified to give had it not been anonymous...

No matter what you say, or do, or are interested in, you're not the only one ;) But the anonymity helps; it's one reason, I suspect, that the numbers for some of the more fringe elements of the fandom are higher than David Rust's in-person surveys — and consistent with other surveying efforts.

Theoretically, of course, anonymity also breeds trollishness. But I've been doing this for eight and a half years now, and they're pretty easy to detect. If substantial numbers of people cared (which, of course, they don't).

Also, species percentage breakdowns for 2010 and 2011:

http://collie.su/species_tot.html

Very interesting survey. Gave me something to do for a few minutes :) I'll be sure to check it out again next year! (Yes, I filled it out.)

Furryjones

All done, nicely organized survey :)

FlynnCoyote

Takin it slow.
Filled it out!

meh, letting the truth out is surprisingly liberating.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
To resolve the high school /college issue use a split of 'lower education' and 'higher education'. 'Higher education' universally refers to university- you could even use the word 'university' since that's universal too.

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
Wow i didnt realise the furry community was such a sausage fest :(

Vega

Aaaannnnnd done. I was probably a little too negative about myself on some of the questions but whatever.