• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FurryMUCK

BlitzWolf

As a mystery solving dog once said....

"Arr-ooh?" o_O

What's FurryMUCK? Sounds like fun...

Rhainor

Rawr.
An MU* (meaning either a MUCK or a MUD) is an entirely text-based virtual environment; you connect to it via a telnet client. A raw telnet program such as Windows' built-in HyperTerminal program will work, but it's better to get a dedicated MU* client such as Trebuchet.

There are several different interpretations of the acronym 'MUCK'. The one I remember is 'Multi-User Chat Kingdom'. There's also the term 'MUD' which I only remember as 'Multi-User Dungeon'; The two are essentially the same, except that MUDs are usually more combat-oriented.

Furcadia, for example, is a Graphical MU* (with a proprietary client program).

From the Wikipedia entry on FurryMUCK:
FurryMUCK is one of the oldest and largest non-combat MUD-style games in existence. It was founded in 1990 as an online gathering place for furry fans to meet and socialize in a virtual role-playing environment. Over time, FurryMUCK has become one of the central focal points for furry fandom, with a user base consisting of several thousand, with over 450 users usually signed on simultaneously.

Many furry fans state that their first exposure to furry fandom came from FurryMUCK. Many of the more popular phrases of furry jargon, including "yiff", "scritch", and "idle" stem from this virtual environment.

There's a much more extensive article about FurryMUCK on WikiFur: http://furry.wikia.com/wiki/FurryMUCK

FurryMUCK's official website can be found here: http://www.furry.com/

You'll need to visit their website for the server and character-registration info. Be sure to look around the site some.

Rhainor

Rawr.
The reason I wanted to know if anyone from here is on FurryMUCK (henceforth to be shorthanded to 'FM') is because I'm getting bored with sitting in the West Corner of the Park watching total strangers, but I'm too lazy to explore on my own.

(FYI for anyone who's not on FM yet, the West Corner of the Park is the central random-chat area of FM, and is where new users find themselves after crawling out from Under the Bandstand, which is where they start out.)

(Another FYI for those who aren't on FM yet; everything and everyone in FM has a 'home'. New 'characters' start out with their home set to the starting point, Under the Bandstand. If that's still your home after 30 days, you risk your 'character' being purged from the system. There are plenty of homes available to claim in various areas around FM, but they start off as just a single, bare room, that you have to write a description for and add other rooms to on your own--assuming you care about what visitors think about it, or even having visitors at all.)

Also, for anyone who is interested, my 'home' in FM is open to the public (for the most part). My den is set up as a lounging and chatting area, and the Backyard is available for any (really, any) activity. In addition, I have space available as a temporary home for newcomers, or anyone else who is interested. I've already got two tenants. Rent-free, no building required, just kick back and relax. In FM, page me with [page rhainor=<message>] or leave quick-mail with [page #mail rhainor=<message>], or ask here, for more info.

Faukx

Ehm, i have been on furcadia for a while. but i didn't like it.
But furry and rpg is still a good combi

Rhainor

Rawr.
Faukx said:
Ehm, i have been on furcadia for a while. but i didn't like it.
But furry and rpg is still a good combi

The only thing Furcadia has over FurryMUCK is that it's graphical, and IMHO it's debatable if that really makes it better. I'm considering giving up Furcadia altogether, and moving entirely to FM. Furcadia's just too crowded nowadays, and FM is so much simpler.

TORA said:
I used to be on FurryMUCK until I had no fast internet anymore.

I'm on dial-up, and it works just fine unless I'm massively multitasking...which is by no means rare. My dial-up is just fast enough to let me multitask effectively (for the most part), but if it were much faster, I wouldn't have any reason to open, say, 4 web pages at once.

I'm on FurryMUCK, but I'm not active there like I used to be. If you'd like some sense of direction in leaving the park, you could do

wa 1 #n
or maybe wa 1
or maybe wa
or maybe wa #dir

The first one would show all rooms that have been set to display themselves on a list when there is at least one person in them, and give the people's names if they're allowing it. 'wa' will show set rooms but default to only showing rooms with a minimum of two people. Sometimes, rooms set with wa will list the descriptions in the wa command, and sometimes you'll need to do wa #dir for directions.

Darby

I am, but I never visit MUCKs anymore... not for any particular reason other than I just fell out of the habit.

Rhainor

Rawr.
Cyberskunk said:
I'm on FurryMUCK, but I'm not active there like I used to be. If you'd like some sense of direction in leaving the park, you could do

wa 1 #n
or maybe wa 1
or maybe wa
or maybe wa #dir

The first one would show all rooms that have been set to display themselves on a list when there is at least one person in them, and give the people's names if they're allowing it. 'wa' will show set rooms but default to only showing rooms with a minimum of two people. Sometimes, rooms set with wa will list the descriptions in the wa command, and sometimes you'll need to do wa #dir for directions.

Meh, I prefer exploring randomly, when I get the urge to explore at all.

What's your name on FM? Mine's the same as here.

Meh, I prefer exploring randomly, when I get the urge to explore at all.

What's your name on FM? Mine's the same as here.

I regret the delay in my reply. My name on FurryMUCK was Cyberskunk, although I'm not on there anymore, so if there is a Cyberskunk present nowadays, it won't be me.

jcfynx

Banned
Banned
I used to play FurryMUCK a long time ago, but once I got tired of being clumsily e-hit-on by strangers that didn't last too long.

Armaetus

Nazis, Communists and Antifa don't belong on FA
It's stupid and pointless to me. Why bother? I can say the same about SL except it uses graphics also ontop of a poorly coded engine.