• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Furs start furry college club

CrazyLee

Biggest buttplug ever
There's these two young furs I know, probably in their late teens or early 20s, who are new to the fandom. And they've decided to start a "Furry Club" at our college.

Bad idea, or bad idea?

So, should I join this club just so I can enjoy the inevitable trainwreck that will result afterwards?

Seriously, though, what would a furry club entail? Their "mission statement", as it is, is to promote the furry fandom in a positive light and explain what furries really are.

First off, how would they do this? Are they assuming non-furs would show up to the club? I would assume that just about everyone who's not a furry would skip over the club's listing having not a clue what it's about and not giving a shit about it either. Or they'd see the "furry club" and wonder what that was about, and still not give a shit or show up. About the only people that would show up is other furries, if there are any at the school.

What then? Are they going to wander around the school passing out fliers or something. Accosting random strangers with "Hi, I'm a furry and I'm here to explain the fandom." That will go over as well as an evangelical randomly coming up to you and trying to explain to you the "good news".

So what does that entail, then? What will the club do in all their free time, a massive yiffing fursuit orgy?

Catilda Lily

May all your bacon burn.
We have one where I go to school but it's not a group on campus. We have a Facebook page and meet up every now and then, usually for bowling or for food, we've been invited back by Ihop.

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
They would never be able to achieve "Furry quorum", would they? At UT-Dallas, the only Furry I'm aware of is the one in the mirror. If I were joining anything, it would be an anime club.

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
I thought this was going to be about furries actually starting a college

Thread previews are so misleading.

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
I thought this was going to be about furries actually starting a college

Thread previews are so misleading.

The only "college" they'd be starting is this year's college-themed "Furry Weekend Atlanta", which I'm sure would be great. Every time I see "FWA", I think it should be Furries With Attitude.

Mr. Sparta

Scale Face
It can't be worse than a Manga club. I would expect an interesting turnout at first due to the taboo effect and pure curiosity.

Rouge Artist

I am not the answer
There was a bronie club/group that was formed at my college a year or two back. All I saw for it was a flyer for it with a web address, checked it out one day and surprisingly enough it was fifty strong. but it was a closed group so I didn't join it. If it wasn't for that then I, along with my friends from the anime club, would have just joined to troll them since I could have cared less about the brony fandom. (and it's fun to troll from time to time to keep things lively. )
but it wasn't an official university club, just a local Facebook/community group, but still I was amazed that a club like that could exist in Montana out of all places...

It's bad enough that the anime club at my university may have been the most awkward club since there where a couple questionable anime nights, we watched a bunch of asdf in german, then asdf in german at 5x speed... and then there's also our cosplay escapades. I guess what it all comes down to is how comfortable you are with what you like. If I wasn't as interested in anime and manga than I wouldn't have stuck with the craziness of my schools anime club. Because of it I got into cosplay, got back into costuming, and I got to meet some really great friends.

Plus whats the point of life if you can't enjoy a little craziness every once in a while?

Carnau

Ice cream is the only way
I would never be caught dead at one of these.
I'm far too nervous to see what the furries in my area are even like, let alone want to deal with them on a day to day basis at my one and only education hub. Conventions are a different thing because you get to meet people that you already know from online, and the strangers? You'll never see them again so yeah. And besides something tells me most furries are way too introverted to poke around something like this club anyways.

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
It wouldnt have sounded terrible if it wasnt anything but just a social meet up for furs.

Coyote Club

El Gordito Burrito Bandito
There's these two young furs I know, probably in their late teens or early 20s, who are new to the fandom. And they've decided to start a "Furry Club" at our college.

Seriously, though, what would a furry club entail? Their "mission statement", as it is, is to promote the furry fandom in a positive light and explain what furries really are.

So what does that entail, then? What will the club do in all their free time, a massive yiffing fursuit orgy?

You could always have them start off with frisbee in the park, or a bowling night. You are less likely to scare people off if they consider you to be *similar* to their image of "normalcy". Movie nights and game nights are popular in the groups that I frequent.

In order to make the group uniquely furry, I suppose you could offer furry art lessons or samples of furry internet comics to read.

People will learn about the fandom from a bunch of different sources. Although the average Joe may be hard to win over, good behavior on the part of the club members may be a stronger message than giving one of those megaphone loud speeches from some high vantage point. I found it off-putting in college when social groups would find a high point near a high-traffic area and deliver their speech/rant like they were a Soviet political officer addressing the troops before battle.

Once the members are initiated, it would be up to them to venture into the fandom with things like fursuit making and more adult-rated art.

Worst comes to worst, you could post fliers on approved bulletin boards (electronic and physical) to attract members.

Good luck,
-CC

powderhound

University of Reno has something pretty close, and it works.

Sweetheartz22

Simply amazing.
What the hell is the difference between a normal art lesson and a "furry art lesson"?

normal art lesson = persons who leave paint on the canvas for their works of art

furry art lesson = persons who may or may not have on fursuits, who draw captivating images of dog dicks while painting each others bodies, before promptly getting into a sweaty furpile that elapses into yiffing

C'mon everyone knows that, obviously! :V

But, seriously, I guess the only real difference is that the furry art lesson would include drawing anthros and animals more.

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
But, seriously, I guess the only real difference is that the furry art lesson would include drawing anthros and animals more.
So art lessons for people who don't want to draw "icky hyoomans". Teaching aspiring artists furries first is not a good idea. They need to learn the human form, or else the drawings will have anatomies like roadkill.

Coyote Club

El Gordito Burrito Bandito
So art lessons for people who don't want to draw "icky hyoomans". Teaching aspiring artists furries first is not a good idea. They need to learn the human form, or else the drawings will have anatomies like roadkill.

I totally agree. Perhaps some would even need rudimentary lessons on line weight, shadow behavior and the like.

@ Pastry: "Furry art", to me, means drawing anthropomorphic creatures specifically versus landscapes, portraits, and more "classical" art.

Maybe powderhound can tell us a few things that the Reno club is doing right.

SirRob

I'd imagine a furry club would be a lot like an anime club. Lots of screaming. Maybe do something related to the club once a month, but mostly screaming.

S

Sar

I don't see any harm in it, but I feel it isn't really necessary to make it a recognized club for a college. Can't it just be a bunch of friends hanging out that are Furries? Suggest like a meetup outside of college because I wouldn't see the point of it being a college-exclusive club. That and you wouldn't be obliged to go back if you don't like it. I would say go for giggles.

CrazyLee

Biggest buttplug ever
Did it look like this by any chance?
Wait, who the hell is that? That guy looks disturbingly familiar, like I've met him at a con.

Found another image. he's not local, at least.

What do they look like?
I want to know as well; I'm morbidly curious.

Are you asking if they're all unwashed neckbeards? Well, there's three short chubby women, one thin woman, and two thin tall black guys. So not your stereotypical furs.

There was one of those "student organization days" where all the departments and clubs have booths. They had a booth. I talked to one of them. It seems the purpose of the club is to have a place for furries to meet and hang out... so they don't feel alone or like they're the only fur at the college. And also to promote the furry fandom in a positive way.

Fair enough, a place for furs to hang out together. The second part of that amused me, the idea that furs would feel lonely unless they knew other furs were at the college (implying they need other people around to talk about their strange furry fetishes or something).

But the president couldn't explain HOW he would promote the furry fandom in a positive light, if no furries show up to to club. Then he asked me for suggestions. I have none.

I'll check out this club to see how things go.

DeCatt

Parking Lot Enthusiast
Wait, who the hell is that? That guy looks disturbingly familiar, like I've met him at a con.

Found another image. he's not local, at least.

Are you asking if they're all unwashed neckbeards? Well, there's three short chubby women, one thin woman, and two thin tall black guys. So not your stereotypical furs.

There was one of those "student organization days" where all the departments and clubs have booths. They had a booth. I talked to one of them. It seems the purpose of the club is to have a place for furries to meet and hang out... so they don't feel alone or like they're the only fur at the college. And also to promote the furry fandom in a positive way.

Fair enough, a place for furs to hang out together. The second part of that amused me, the idea that furs would feel lonely unless they knew other furs were at the college (implying they need other people around to talk about their strange furry fetishes or something).

But the president couldn't explain HOW he would promote the furry fandom in a positive light, if no furries show up to to club. Then he asked me for suggestions. I have none.

I'll check out this club to see how things go.

Keep us posted. Could get some funny stories out of this one. Do you have any of their FA/Weasyls?