• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fursecution Complex

Distorted

Yeah, I used that word. It seemed appropriate for what I wanted to discuss.

I've seen a lot of furries, or rather heard of a lot of furries who were rather sensitive to the criticism that they take. I find this to be rather strange. Considering the content of the fandom and the.....extent to which a lot of furs go, I would imagine that many would be used to the bombardment of slurs and degradations.

In one case, I have a friend who takes offense to basic jokes that are made. She is constantly on the defensive and I'm confused as to why this is so. She is transgender and has been through a confusing time, but I don't think her attitude should be the outcome. In this case I feel the only people who she would be able to keep around are those with radical demeanor like hers. Thus the whole "us against the world" mentality occurs and they become stuck in the same noxious air of bigotry that they feel so victimized by.

Sometimes it also seems that ask for this type of negative reaction. Like that otherkin fellow with the rather questionable threads. Now I'm a firm believer that everyone should do their own thang, and screw everyone else. But you should also be prepared to take the hits that come your way also. It makes for a much more stable person when they can deal with conflict and criticism in an effective manner.

Perhaps it should be taken into account the individual's background and history. It would make sense considering that many seem to be a bit awkward and inexperienced in interrelations. Also other internal motives and issues could cause the same attitude to develop. I am simply at a loss. That kind of behavior is disruptive and honestly makes me want to slap the crazy out of their heads. But perhaps I have insufficient knowledge as to how someone gets this way.

Why do you think some furries are so quick to yell out fursecution?

Joey

That was always one of the my biggest gripes with the fandom. Especially considering it's teeming with gross people who basically NEED that criticism.

Delta Fox

Adolf Clitler
Saying Fursecution is the equivalent of saying Modelrailroadersecution I wish more people realized this

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Lol, fursecution. I never got this word.
I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones that don't get shit for what I'm into.

Last edited:

Brazen

Terrorist Scum
Yeah, trannies tend to be crazy, in the case of your friend I'd consider that the main cause, not being a furry.

badlands

drunken pirate
Because some people aren't happy unless they feel persecuted.

NightWolf20

One-Eyed Canine
I'm with d.batty on this one. A lot of my friends know I'm a furry, but it's not discussed all that much - aside from me mentioning some cool or funny anthro art I've seen somewhere - because, quite frankly, it's not that big a deal.

From what I've seen, "fursecution" happens for two reasons. Either a), the furry deserved it for making a spectacle of themselves or b), it's just some douchebag looking to get a few laughs cutting someone down and I see that coming from inside the fandom as much as outside. Granted, I haven't seen much of either, both because I haven't been a furry but for a few months and because (I imagine) it's not nearly as common as some like to think, but when it does happen, that poor wittle furfag who got their wittle feewings hurt goes on one big baawing rampage. All I can really say is grow up and toughen up. Not everyone's going to like you and no matter what you're into, you're gonna face some tough criticism or rudeness from time to time.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
If you look up the short film 'furry' on YouTube, hilarious example of fursecution in there. If you can call it that. So painful to watch >.<

Dreaming

Oh, I am sure there are many individual reasons. But it's the same with anything, if you play the persecuted part you get sympathy, and that sympathy is a good as friendship for some

Andy Dingo Wolf

The Oncoming Storm
What fursecution complex, I've never seen that in my local fanbase xD
Lol, fursecution. I never got this word.
I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones that don't get shit for what I'm into.
heh, same here. I usually give other furries shit for the stuff they do :p

Hakar Kerarmor

PRAISE THE EMPEROR
Saying Fursecution is the equivalent of saying Modelrailroadersecution I wish more people realized this

"I think model railroads are stupid!"
"That's nice, but this is a model railroad forum, so kindly go somewhere else."
"lol modelrailroadersecution!"

heh, same here. I usually give other furries shit for the stuff they do :p

Zomg fursecution! :V

PsychicOtter

Otter Missionary
They probably like the whole "Us against the world" thing because it makes them feel unique and/or they're looking for sympathy. I don't care if other people criticize it, it's not like being a furry is my whole lifestyle.

Avlenna

Shadow of the Night
I've never gotten any sort of persecution for being a furry, nor have I had any sort of negative reactions for what I do. Granted, I've gotten strange looks and people asking questions, but they just get used to it after a while.

I feel that the furries who get defensive about being persecuted for who they are are the same ones who never give themselves the kind of respect they deserve for themselves. These furries are most likely the ones who are subject to abuse-both verbal and physical-from their "friends", peers, and, in some cases, family. I feel that if they weren't so defensive about it, they wouldn't get the criticism at all.

Machine

Shrieking Possum Queen
Furries are asking to be fursecuted. :)V)

If they weren't, they wouldn't act like dipshits in public or on the internet.

Last edited:

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
It's the hugbox that causes people's skin to get really thin (thinner than it was before). Because where else do you have people getting asspats for creepy shit? Humped your dog? It's ok SparkleYiffFox, we got your back. Accused of sexually assaulting a woman at a convention? It's the icky woman's fault.

You ever notice fursecution is called a lot when the person is criticized for either shitty art or really creepy/downright despicable behavior? It's when people take it all to seriously, treat this whole fandom as an identity (instead of treating what the GET out of the fandom as something to identify them). When people form identities based on their association to nerd fandoms, instead of their output/friendships, as soon as that fandom begins to question them because they have no shame (probably why they identify themselves only by their associations...or fursona :V), they start getting all defensive and call backup from their enabler friends.

It's almost like alcoholism. They know they're doing something creepy, but they don't care and are in denial over it. I don't think people who are bullied end up acting like this. It has to be (in the case of furries) only the losers.

By the way, this behavior isn't isolated to the furry fandom. All nerd fandoms have people like this. Sure, maybe they all were bullied, but only the loser nerds decide to make it a big deal. Some people may have a mental illness and should seek help, but these nerds likely don't and just have no shame.

Last edited:

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I think suggesting people who shout fursecution weren't bulled- they're just intrinsic losers, is an undue comment.

There will be a broad range of people who claim they feel persecuted, some of which will have been bullied and developed a paranoia, some of which will be borderline mental patients like those you suggested and some of which will be justified.

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
I think suggesting people who shout fursecution weren't bulled- they're just intrinsic losers, is an undue comment.

There will be a broad range of people who claim they feel persecuted, some of which will have been bullied and developed a paranoia, some of which will be borderline mental patients like those you suggested and some of which will be justified.

Yeah, you're right. The worst thing for these people then are the disgusting enablers..."whiteknighters"...who keep the person in question in the cycle. Some of these people really need help, and not ass pats from their so-called friends on the Internet.

Though, when a person is accused of doing something wrong (bestiality cases we hear sometimes) they get all defensive, it's likely them trying to sidestep blame/weasel their way out of trouble. Oddly, when the person just accepts it, the enablers sometimes have fursecution by proxy. That's just weird.

Last edited:
My feeling is that people who play the fursecution card are just taking things way to seriously or are insecure with them-selves for one reason or another. Furry is just a interest/hobby and as with all interests your bound to run into some criticism eventually, you just have to deal with it and get on with life, its not like other peoples opinions are gonna change what you like unless you let them.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
My feeling is that people who play the fursecution card are just taking things way to seriously or are insecure with them-selves for one reason or another. Furry is just a interest/hobby and as with all interests your bound to run into some criticism eventually, you just have to deal with it and get on with life, its not like other peoples opinions are gonna change what you like unless you let them.
Exactly. It's just a hobby. It's the people who take things way too seriously -make a lifestyle out of it- that probably end up calling "FURSECUTION!"

Like others have said there's this circle of enablism. Everyone backing their questionable behaviors which results in this tight base of hardcore furryism. If any one of them get lambasted they all get into a tizzy. Honestly I'm not sure furry persecution is as common as one might think.