• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fursploitation: Furries: The Movie, Fursona Files, The Honey Cooler, and More

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
So, this popped up on social media:

https://vimeo.com/114533913

....which resulted in a 500+ post thread of drama and horror, naturally. The filmmakers *appear* sincere and well-intentioned, but boy, they did not know what they were getting into when they asked for furry feedback.

More links related to this project:

https://vimeo.com/129612883
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haZlPivkA80&feature=youtu.be

Naturally, it made me think back to similar low-budget indie "fursploitation" projects like The Fursona Files and The Honey Cooler that use weird-acting furries in bad fursuits to generate either cheap laughs or cheap surreality.

Credit goes to Patch Packrat for the term "fursploitation"--at least, he's the one I learned the term from!

So, just thought I'd share. You're welcome.

Last edited:

Ratical

Oh lawd.

Every previous attempt to force us on popular culture has always ended in the exact same response: people still think we're creepy and stupid. It's not like how Big Bang Theory makes fun of nerd culture and everyone goes "man, look at those dorks, ha ha they're so eccentric and koooooky", it's more like "I'mma go vomit now". There's a line, and we're on the other side. Simpsons played us for laughs with a quick sight gag, and I think that's about as far as it can go.

I know this is an indie thing, but something like this won't get us recognized or accepted, if that's the intent.

PastryOfApathy

"Fursploitation" better become an actual genre. I mean I want to see Mascot Massacre, Rughumpers, or Killer Lesbian Vixens II: Anthrocon Strikes Back

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ
Oh lawd.

Every previous attempt to force us on popular culture has always ended in the exact same response: people still think we're creepy and stupid. It's not like how Big Bang Theory makes fun of nerd culture and everyone goes "man, look at those dorks, ha ha they're so eccentric and koooooky", it's more like "I'mma go vomit now". There's a line, and we're on the other side. Simpsons played us for laughs with a quick sight gag, and I think that's about as far as it can go.

I know this is an indie thing, but something like this won't get us recognized or accepted, if that's the intent.
I highly doubt the acceptance or or rejection of furries is what they're after. It's more like they're trying to re-create that creepy costume scene from The Shining.

As far as playing furs for laughs as kooky and eccentric, I think Steve Brule pulled it off pretty well. His guests seem like real furries, and he literally makes himself look like an ass in the process. His "dronkey" suit is the worst kind of media ignorance, and is nothing like his guests' actual fursuits. If anyone makes the viewer want to vomit or at least roll their eyes in that clip, it's Steve. Just a part of his schtick.

Sylver

I felt physically sick after watching the trailer. It felt similar to watching two girls one cup (believe it or not, I'm being honest).

Ratical

I highly doubt the acceptance or or rejection of furries is what they're after. It's more like they're trying to re-create that creepy costume scene from The Shining.

Well, that's probably true. I think my problem is that I'm too sensitive about this kinda thing to see a farce for a farce. We're still the butt of a joke, but that's not the end of the world.

My hide's been chipped away by too much vitriolic hate over the years. The last thing I wanna be is a killjoy.

"Fursploitation" better become an actual genre. I mean I want to see Mascot Massacre, Rughumpers, or Killer Lesbian Vixens II: Anthrocon Strikes Back

I'm Gonna Yiff You, Sucka.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
I took one look at the thing while it was loading and left.

LazerMaster5

Lost in the Static
I dunno, directors like Tarantino and Rodriguez take inspiration from 70s exploitation films. Maybe some day we will see something similar happen to these films.

FalogtheRed

This is a minstrel show. Pure and simple. Like this is our equivalent of Al Jolson or "Scrub me Mama with a Boogy Beat".

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
This honestly looks like the result of something someone made on a whim. Like they just looked up a page on furries and were like "well that's all we need to know, let's make a movie about this"

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
^^^I saw that movie about a month ago. It was worth seeing on Netflix, but not earth-shattering. There are a few good bits, and a lot of crap.

The furry segment was one of the more interesting ones in the anthology, but a few were better and/or more memorable.

Last edited:

Cocobanana

I'd like to make a coming of age story about a furry that is actually good, but we'll see if my cinematographer friend will help. We'd also need a decent actor who has a cute fursuit in the main role.