• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fursuit views

Moon-Baby

Transitional Lifeform
What are your reasons for wearing them?
Like what do you think of it?

For me, if I had one, It's about taking on the apearance of the animal inside, as a sort of way to get closer to it.
And if you make it yourself, thats one more thing bringing it closer to you.
It was made by your hands, to show your soul.

I'd like to hear if anyone has any differing views on it, why you do it, whats your mindset when doing it, that kind stuff.

(ya see, im still kinda new at this whole thing, and would like to get to know everyone elses thoughts.):D

and if possible, some tips and such on making one as realistic as possible? ;)

Silver R. Wolfe

Wuffamute Extraordinaire!
I'd wear one so that I could go out and have fun, with everyone watching me.

My friend and I joked about him wearing a bunny one and me wearing a wolf one and us chasing each other throughout the local mall. :3

I don't have one though, but if I had the oppurtunity to get a cheap, decent looking one, I would.

Mordecai

silverwolfe said:

My friend and I joked about him wearing a bunny one and me wearing a wolf one and us chasing each other throughout the local mall. :3

I don't have one though, but if I had the oppurtunity to get a cheap, decent looking one, I would.

I'd make you one, but I lost my duct tape dummy...

And I've never been particularly great at making the heads...

And my sewing machine died on me recently...

And I'm out of material....

I'm done now ^^;

Silver R. Wolfe

Wuffamute Extraordinaire!
Mordecai said:
silverwolfe said:

I'm done now ^^;

*chuckles* It's the thought that counts. :3

Tensik

<-- He's a character. If I had one, it would simply be to show "hey! here's that character you see in my av and in a lot of my art, and that a lot of people associate with me!" Myself and the character have a lot in common, but I'd just be playing him were I to wear a suit.

Mordecai

silverwolfe said:
Mordecai said:

I'm done now ^^;

*chuckles* It's the thought that counts. :3

I'd gladly make you one otherwise. Pretty cheap, too X3 Most people can get away with charging over $1000 a suit... I used to charge just over a couple hundred

I had someone else make the heads. He was damn good, too, but he moved away

Yeah, I've sold a few before. 5, maybe 6. Most of the cost goes to materials ^^; I never really got in much advertising, so I had to stop

Pinkuh

Honestly the fursuits that I have created for myself have been to just have fun in them! You become a character when your in a suit

The only drawback is how warm they are @_@

And by warm I mean Broiling hot

InvaderPichu

this is my raep face
I'd only wear a fursuit if someone payed me a lot of money.

I don't get the whole fursuit fascination, though. How is being in a heavy and uncomfortable suit that makes you sweat bring you closer to your furry avatar? Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with fursuiters, hell, if it makes you happy then go for it, you're not hurting anyone. I'm just a little confused is all.

Diamond

i'm scared of what i find withfursuits in emule.

TheListener

While myself I am not interested in wearing one, I love seeing how creative some of them are. I do wish I could see more scale oriented suits, though...

Jirris

I think they are cute.

I don't think I'd ever wear a suit in the traditional sense. Well, nix that. I've had some temptation to do so for the sheer fun of it.

I have a costume, but it's more in the sense of being a costume of my character, with clothing and makeup and such. I'd like to make some facial prothetics here eventually, because that would be freakin' sweet.

Evol

I have fun in suit. That's what it's about.

Plus, in Cesar suit, I get to be a boy. :D

Having just finished a partial for Fanime Con this last weekend and debuting it with great results I must say that its just plain fun to do. I got lots of glomps and many photos, and this was at an anime convention, not a furry one.

As I've stated in earlier posts, I'm atheist and don't personally believe in the spirituality of furry, but I still loved being in a suit.

Mordecai

Oznor said:
Having just finished a partial for Fanime Con this last weekend and debuting it with great results I must say that its just plain fun to do. I got lots of glomps and many photos, and this was at an anime convention, not a furry one.

As I've stated in earlier posts, I'm atheist and don't personally believe in the spirituality of furry, but I still loved being in a suit.

Spirituality and religion are two different things

MangiX_PandaRen

I would wear a suit outta pur fun^^ , and i want to be in a panda skin to get closer to my fursona^^, but it would be more for the fun of it.

Moon-Baby

Transitional Lifeform
huh.
so it seems most just do it for fun.
i guess i can see it that way...

once i find out what this guy living in my head looks like, i can finish this clay wolf mask i made......>_>

TiberiusArchias

The standard 'mascot' style of suit is very unappealing to me personally most because of their bulky appearance. I personally like the more formfitting and *evil* look of leather and latex.

Ive spent the better part of the past 6 months putting together my headpiece and costume in preparation for AC, nearly completely leather (see avatar). This will be my first go round in any kind of costume, I find the ability to take on the mindset, and even form of my character to be very attractive.

joecifur

For me it's not about being closer to an animal or a character or anything -- it's just fun. It gives me a chance to be silly.

I love making them, too. My only advice re: making a realistic one is take your time, research online, have lots of reference pictures, and if you practise before you make The One You Want to Keep, it'll come out much better.

Mordecai

joecifur said:
For me it's not about being closer to an animal or a character or anything -- it's just fun. It gives me a chance to be silly.

I love making them, too. My only advice re: making a realistic one is take your time, research online, have lots of reference pictures, and if you practise before you make The One You Want to Keep, it'll come out much better.

Yes, but you run into a problem in the "practice" part. Materials are expensive, and most people can't afford to start over and over and over again

My advice: be careful, ot you'll spend a lot more than you originally wanted on making a suit

joecifur

RE:   Fursuit views

Mordecai said:
Yes, but you run into a problem in the "practice" part. Materials are expensive, and most people can't afford to start over and over and over again

Not necessarily, especially if it's just a practise mask. :) $5 of foam rubber from Wal-Mart will make two mesh / balaclava masks or one solid foam mask; funfur is all over the place and comes for about $10/yd, and it only takes a third of a yard to make a 'suit head. Hot glue, a needle, a roll of duct tape and a little thread isn't much more. I ripped my first few masks up, reused and rebuilt them, and managed to sell them on furbid for a little over the cost of the materials. In quite a lot of cases, the difference in quality between someone's first and second mask is astronomical. You learn so much.

I wouldn't buy taxidermy supplies and $50/yd fur to practise with, of course! Even now I'm still not very good at using those.

Mordecai

joecifur said:
Mordecai said:

Not necessarily, especially if it's just a practise mask. :) $5 of foam rubber from Wal-Mart will make two mesh / balaclava masks or one solid foam mask; funfur is all over the place and comes for about $10/yd, and it only takes a third of a yard to make a 'suit head. Hot glue, a needle, a roll of duct tape and a little thread isn't much more. I ripped my first few masks up, reused and rebuilt them, and managed to sell them on furbid for a little over the cost of the materials. In quite a lot of cases, the difference in quality between someone's first and second mask is astronomical. You learn so much.

I wouldn't buy taxidermy supplies and $50/yd fur to practise with, of course! Even now I'm still not very good at using those.

The cheapest fur fabric around here is $15 a yard (which you can only buy by the yard), and you also can't get foam rubber in small enough amounts to only be $5. Usually around $10, and it doesn't last very long (a solid mask, if you don't have that much waste)

I'd never be able to use a needle and thread. My stitches suck. I use a sewing machine (SOOOO much easier) but it's busted (I think I said that already) and a little portable hand sewer to patch up/reinforce the heads if they need it

RE:     Fursuit views

Mordecai said:
I'd never be able to use a needle and thread. My stitches suck. I use a sewing machine (SOOOO much easier) but it's busted (I think I said that already) and a little portable hand sewer to patch up/reinforce the heads if they need it

Hard to use a machine on heads, the foam, rubber, wire, whatever you use for a frame doesn't go through the machine too well. Although I suppose you could design it like a sleeve to fit over the substructure... but thats extra planning. I would recommend learning to sew by hand, its easier to get into tight spaces and weird angles that often appear when making fursuits.

Mordecai said:
The cheapest fur fabric around here is $15 a yard (which you can only buy by the yard)

Why not use muslin for a prototype? Its very cheap and easy to find. Also its lack of fur makes it easy to see how your seams will lie. Also muslin makes better pattern pieces you can then trace onto the fur than that paper crap that you're supposed to use.

joecifur

That's true, availability does vary by region, but if you look around you can make a practise head without spending too much money. :3

Luckily I can buy 4x sheets of half-inch 16x16 foam from Wal-mart for $5.25 -- same stuff if you order it wholesale. If not, I just get small pieces cut at JoAnns, which isn't much more expensive. The prices for it at Hancock's are inexplicably high, though.

And I second the love for a sewing machine. Seems like a lot of people start off scared of them, though. ;d