• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fursuiting as a different sex

Shaloxeroligon

Sound Sculptor
Reviving an old topic, because I would like my fears addressed...

I am physically male. I am considering buying a female fursuit. I am doing this because my fursona is female-bodied (technically a herm, but that's not appropriate for a fursuit). As a trans* person, I feel like this would be the best option in order to help me feel less gender-dysphoric (I say "best" because I don't have the right body for cross-dressing, and I don't want to pursue a more permanent option like multiple surgeries). However, it really sounds like many people in the fandom are hostile toward male-bodied individuals who dress in female costumes.

While I personally believe that this is a horrible double-standard, I do acknowledge that it exists. And I read about some opposition to what people call "boob-suits". So, what I'm trying to do is figure out a way to portray a female character without being perceived as "sexual."

My best estimate is probably to have her be a character first, and a female second. So, that would mean coming up with a personality that makes sense, and then putting a slight "feminine" twist on it. Like, I want my character to behave in a feminine way, but I don't want that to be her defining characteristic. I want her to be "real", and that means making her feel like a person, rather than a gender.

Any suggestions for how to be a male-bodied person in a female fursuit, without being considered "weird" for it?

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
I think having her be a character first and a female second is the absolute best way to go. You can signal her femininity through her colouration, her eye shape, and perhaps, the subtle shape of her body and bust.

Nothing yells "sup bros" quite like a female fursuit with exaggerated breasts, buttocks, eyelashes, and movements. It's a drag show in fur, basically.

If you want to present as more "authentically" feminine, I say, observe some of the *actually female* fursuiters, like Step Coatimundi, Telephone, Boss Hog, and Caliroo, to name a few.

I say, if you go the sincere, subtle, tasteful, and character-focused route, no one will have a right to complain--and at that point, anyone who throws a hissy is probably just being homophobic or transphobic.

Your avatar's super cute, by the way.

Shaloxeroligon

Sound Sculptor
Holy crap I didn't know Step was a girl. She is one of my FAVORITE fursuit dancers EVER! See? you learn something new every day.

More seriously, that is some good advice. I'll take that to heart.

Thanks about the avatar. It's not mine, though. It's just something I found online.

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
The reason why people are hostile towards such suiters is because typically these people are not very nice or considerate in suit. As an actual female it disgusts me to no end to see guys running around in big tittied suits acting like gigantic sluts and doing inappropriate things with their "Breasts" in public. Suits with massive breasts are also...lets be honest plain disgusting.

If you don't want to be treated poorly than remember to hold yourself to a better standard. Also you don't have to have the suit made with boobs to look female. Look up Fay V on FA, she's got a female scribble suit, and is female. But her suit looks female without resorting to giant -tititius.

Shaloxeroligon

Sound Sculptor
I am a big fan of FayV. It was her "how to fursuit" thread that really got me into suiting in the first place, and I've messaged her several times on FA. So I know her and her suit well. She's kind of awesome.

While I don't want to portray a suit that is "hyper-endowed", as I know that's in poor taste, I do think subtle feminine padding would really help me, as my (albeit thin) masculine frame is one of the reasons why I'm not a cross-dresser in the first place. With a suit, I can be whatever body I want, and while I don't want one that is over-sexualized, I do want one that is decidedly female in appearance. I guess I just need to strike the balance with my suit's femininity: pronounced enough to not appear androgynous, yet subtle enough that it's not obtrusive or attention-grabbing. Plus, Troj up there suggested additional ways to appear feminine OUTSIDE of padding, which I didn't even think of.

My goal is to help myself feel comfortable in a fursuit that represents (at least part of) my internal gender identity, so being crass and objectifying of women is most certainly not what I want. As a feminist, I strongly oppose anyone who tries to make women out to be sexual objects. It's just wrong. Besides, I'd be too frightened to try anything inappropriate.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
The reason why people are hostile towards such suiters is because typically these people are not very nice or considerate in suit. As an actual female it disgusts me to no end to see guys running around in big tittied suits acting like gigantic sluts and doing inappropriate things with their "Breasts" in public. Suits with massive breasts are also...lets be honest plain disgusting.

If you don't want to be treated poorly than remember to hold yourself to a better standard. Also you don't have to have the suit made with boobs to look female. Look up Fay V on FA, she's got a female scribble suit, and is female. But her suit looks female without resorting to giant -tititius.

Second this. There's a difference between people who act "feminine" in suit and using it as a thing to act like a gigantic slut. Too bad there aren't many of them.

I was going to say to just have a very small, realistic amount of padding, but I'll also just throw it out there that you don't need tits to look/be feminine especially in suit. I'm extremely flat-chested and most likely when I have a fullsuit you won't see any chest whatsoever on me. It's my character's face/eyes that will look feminine.

Although, I'm not really the "feminine" type anyways...

Last edited:

ausren

Pretty much all fursuits look androgynous/unisex to me. Other than obvious eyelashes, I'm not really noticing any definite female characteristics. But maybe I'm looking at different ones than you are?

Pretty much all fursuits look androgynous/unisex to me. Other than obvious eyelashes, I'm not really noticing any definite female characteristics. But maybe I'm looking at different ones than you are?

Yeah, especially the ones with longer neck pieces which cover the chest even more and they just look all around fluffy. It kind of depends if he's wanting a fullsuit or a partial. Fullsuits usually seem more "feral" (even though yes they're anthro because they have human bodies) to me anyways.

Last edited:

LegitWaterfall

Forever done
Good for you. As everyone else has suggested, try studying some real feminine suiters.
As a tip for the padding, I would try a little foam about the waist for female curves, don't slut it up but just give the suit some curve.

mirepoix

meer-pwah
A badge of your character might help, too! I like looking at people's badges to get more of an idea of the character. That may only apply in a con situation, however, as non-furs might not know what to make of a badge.

Shaloxeroligon

Sound Sculptor
Thanks for all the advice, people. It's been super helpful. I will take it all into account when I move to purchase my suit.

It's good to see so many furs that are accepting of trans* folks like me. It makes me feel a lot more comfortable getting a suit that brings out my inner gender identity. Like I said before, I'm doing it mainly to seem feminine, not have a suit that is so overtly sexualized that I can't wear it in public. Because that would defeat the purpose of the suit. Why wear something that no one would want to see you wear?

LegitWaterfall

Forever done
Thanks for all the advice, people. It's been super helpful. I will take it all into account when I move to purchase my suit.

It's good to see so many furs that are accepting of trans* folks like me. It makes me feel a lot more comfortable getting a suit that brings out my inner gender identity. Like I said before, I'm doing it mainly to seem feminine, not have a suit that is so overtly sexualized that I can't wear it in public. Because that would defeat the purpose of the suit. Why wear something that no one would want to see you wear?
Hehe, what would judging do to benefit you but hurt your feelings more? We're just glad to help.

Pfffft there's tons of transgender/genderfluid people in the fandom. The judgmental people are the ones we wouldn't be accepting of.

jorinda

That's because the fur hides body shapes. Even when the fursuit body is made of short fur, the boobs of the person inside will be less visible than in normal clothes.
My boobs aren't that small, and I still met people who thought I was a guy... until they hugged me and went "Ohmygod I'm so sorry I didn't mean to touch your boobs I thought you were a guy".
(Which is also why you should avoid touching a fursuiters chest, unless you are 100% sure it is a guy.)

So... be careful when using chest padding. It is a very thin line between "feminine" and "are you hiding two melons in there?" ;)

Scaly Fal

Racing Dragon
Well, if you wear dresses over your fursuit I don't see what else ya need to do really. And that's a nice avatar pic by the way. :)

Scaly Fal

Racing Dragon
Well I'm just glad to see another dragon in the fandom, I wish there was more.

I would't do much chest padding(maybe just a tiny bit, or use a bra with chest forms under the suit), but I would do hip padding. Looks feminine without looking skanky c:

I kinda am wondering about this for the reverse way. I'm not trans or anything, but my fursuit character is male but I'm female. I have big boobs and from experience have seen that the shape shows through suits. It's frustrating D: Anyone know what to do?

LegitWaterfall

Forever done
I kinda am wondering about this for the reverse way. I'm not trans or anything, but my fursuit character is male but I'm female. I have big boobs and from experience have seen that the shape shows through suits. It's frustrating D: Anyone know what to do?
Start by making your own thread.

Jabberwocky

bitch where
as long as you don't slap tits to your suit, it's totes ok.