• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

fursuiting at a non furry con?

AviFox

All this heat stroke talk just makes me wanna go fursuit skiing.
I have always wanted to do this!! It's actually the #1 reason I decided to commission a fursuit (and lucky for me my suit is supposed to be done in January, so I'll have it for part of ski season =] )

Ouiji

I saw a couple at DEFCON, but only briefly

Falaffel

I have always wanted to do this!! It's actually the #1 reason I decided to commission a fursuit (and lucky for me my suit is supposed to be done in January, so I'll have it for part of ski season =] )
I see crushed snouts and broken wallets in your future.

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
I've suited at an anime con before a few times. It really just depends upon your crowd. My friend and I usually get good reactions from people and not just from our suits. Several local furries go to the same con and bring along their suits. It's usually good fun. Just be wary of your limits and time of year. Your non furry cons usually don't have headless zones set up. So you will have to take that into consideration. Also some cons simply are not comfortable with the suits being in certain areas, so that's something to keep in mind as well.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Lol, you people have no idea what your talking about. Yes its ok to wear your suit at other cons and if its a partial you won't overheat unless your a colossal fatass.Just wear a hydration pack(camelpack)and you'll be fine. I go to other parties and cons and havnt had any problems. If your running around in suit and acting like a jackass and pissing people off, then yeah you might run into problems so don't do that.

People cosplaying overheat. So no, it is an actual problem specially if it's hot in July. You're going to be as much outside waiting in long lines for events and not always have access to water waiting in line.

There were a few at Anime Expo (I guess for the ones not willing to spend money to go to the East Coast for AC and they always happen too close) - most people don't care because people just dress up as anything these days. Anime Expo is a HUGE con, to be prepared to get bumped into very often, and enjoy everyone's body heat. Fortunately they did get smart this year and make a big gaming and cosplay-photo hall which had a lot of space. The Dealers/Exhibition hall is just a madhouse.

jorinda

Cosplay might add another risk - getting hugged by someone with bodypaint. I'd hate to have sticky paint on my fursuit.

Cosplay might add another risk - getting hugged by someone with bodypaint. I'd hate to have sticky paint on my fursuit.

Only if they dont seal the paint. If its sealed it wont move at all, and if its water based it goes off with a damp cloth anyways.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Well just to give you an idea - Furry cons are pretty small
Anthro Con's 2012 numbers were like 5200 attendees
Anime Expo 2012 - 130,000 attendees (and this year was even more massive)

So yeah there's a big difference, specially since we're talking July. Keep well hydrated.
There was one furry with a neat Mammoth costume though.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Well just to give you an idea - Furry cons are pretty small Anthro Con's 2012 numbers were like 5200 attendees
Anime Expo 2012 - 130,000 attendees (and this year was even more massive)

So yeah there's a big difference, specially since we're talking July. Keep well hydrated.
There was one furry with a neat Mammoth costume though.

tumblr_lxvmm3fMT81qlwqddo1_500.jpg

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
I see that guy every year at FC, in a matter of fact, that pic was taken outside the marriot at FC.

dinosaurdammit

White Devil
I went to PHX comi con and had a lot of issues with patrons there. I got sexually and physically harassed. One dude bit me on the back of the head. A fucking grown ass man. I ended up seeking refuge in the umbrella corp area cause it was dark and uninhabited, apparently they are the security team along with the zombie people and they ended up being my personal army for the rest of the day. There were other furries there and they too had the same problem. PHX staff said they would try and make it more suiter friendly because it wasnt just furries it was cosplayers too. The problem is there were too many people, over 50 thousand in 3 days there. So crowded they closed the vender hall to new people, it was a fire hazard and a suiters worst night mare, the kids were alright though. I would recommend doing a lot of research into a con, asking other furs if they have been and even go as far as to contact staff in advance. I had a shit ton of fun and would totally do it again but i will ALWAYS for future events have a handler. BIIIIGEST mistake on my behalf.

jorinda

I went to PHX comi con and had a lot of issues with patrons there. I got sexually and physically harassed. One dude bit me on the back of the head.

Dafuq? No matter what kind of event, the security should stop people from harassing other attendees.

In general, at a non-furry event, you have to expect that people do not know how to interact with fursuiters. For example, they do not know we have a limited filed of sight.