• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fursuiting Guide

Fay V

Lost to this world
ah, no malls then :) I took it as an example off a none con enviroments, would amusement parks be an better example?
An amusement park is an even worse idea! Not only do you have the issue of having your face covered and being a security risk, but you are "impersonating" the mascots of the actual park. If that isn't enough amusement parks are known for huge crowds and being blocked off, in other words there is not a lot of places you could have some privacy (except the crowded bathrooms) and if something were to happen you are in a crowded area and have to exit through security.
Please for your own safety do not try to suit at an amusement park.

For a non-con place think recreational park, or bowling alley. A park, as in a bunch of picnic tables, grass, and trees, is a public area, so you should be alright. In these cases I would suit up before hand, then when there put my head on in the car. I would also know where the bathrooms are so I could get some privacy if needed. in these cases be sure to have a handler, and let people approach you first.
In terms of the bowling alley I would probably suit up there. Now this is important. If it is on private property get permission first. I can't stress this enough. Don't just walk in, in suit, unless you expect to be kicked out. Don't just show up with your stuff and ask. Take the time to visit the place beforehand, talk to the manager and security to be certain they are okay with what you are doing. If they say no then just drop it. Don't cry fursecution and bitch.

For cons. Most people suit up in their hotel room and walk to the con area.

Rhasp

First I need a fursuit... But I totaly know the importance off getting an okey from whomever runs wherever I go, its the same basic rule that is if you would like to atend a cats show dressed up as a cat, for example. But again thanks for a great and informative guide.

Dachindae

Heavy Price Paid
A very well written guide to suiting ^^
Thank you for writing this! It has helped me a lot and I got one of my friends to act as my handler for an upcoming convention :3

Akula

This was very informative. My partial will be done soon so I can practice then. Finding a handler will be a problem for me though.

Granas

Great tutorial. Getting my first fursuit in March 2012, can't wait to try it out :D. Thanks for the advice.

Fay V

Lost to this world
Yes. Handlers can go in with their suiter and help them in and out of suit. Just remember that it's crowded in there and not to hang out too long.

Rex Aeterna

i didn't even know there was such thing as a yiff suit...i learn something new everyday. also what is a handler? like someone that just helps out a person who suits up and stuff? basically like on call staff or something?

Tiger In A Tie

Say what now?
i didn't even know there was such thing as a yiff suit...i learn something new everyday. also what is a handler? like someone that just helps out a person who suits up and stuff? basically like on call staff or something?

OP said:
*Always have a Handler. A handler is a suiter’s best friend. A handler will keep an eye on your health, help deal with the crowd, help you navigate and avoid obstacles, keep people from harming you or the suit, speak for you, and generally keep you alive. If you are outside a fandom event you had better have a handler. If you are suiting in a group, it is best to have a 50/50 ratio of suiters and handlers. A suiter may sometimes go solo at a furry con due to the number or people in one area that knows what to do around suiters, but if you are new it is best to always have a handler at first while you learn the limitations of your suit. Seriously there is no way to express how important a handler is.

Maybe you should go back and re-read the guide...? Cuz there's more info about handlers in that. Unless you were still unsure what a handler was after reading the guide anyway?

Rex Aeterna

Maybe you should go back and re-read the guide...? Cuz there's more info about handlers in that. Unless you were still unsure what a handler was after reading the guide anyway?

alrighty then. i think i missed that and was not paying attention. so do they just pick people at random to be their personal body guard/helper or you can just ask friends to do it most likely?

Tiger In A Tie

Say what now?
alrighty then. i think i missed that and was not paying attention. so do they just pick people at random to be their personal body guard/helper or you can just ask friends to do it most likely?

It makes more sense if handler is a friend of the suiter, so they both know each other and how the other acts. That way they can cooperate better as sort of a "team" of suiter and handler.

That's what I'm getting from this guide; correct me if I'm wrong.

Deo

The hatred of FAF personified
Is it possible to fursuit at a con without a handler?
Depends on what kind of con. At a furry con you should be okay since the furs there usually know how to act around and help fursuiters. At other fandom's cons you should have a handler.

Fay V

Lost to this world
Is it possible to fursuit at a con without a handler?

What Deo said is true. At a Furry con there are enough people around that know about suiters that they'll know how to help if you really need it.
If you do this. Plllleeeeease don't go outside the con area without someone. I say this from experience. People love fursuits and you can be swamped, I was once stuck at a light for half an hour.

If you plan to suit by yourself...or really even with a handler, please take the time to first look around and get an idea of the con layout. Particularly where the headless lounge is. If you're in hurry to get your head off you need to know where it is.

Rex Aeterna

It makes more sense if handler is a friend of the suiter, so they both know each other and how the other acts. That way they can cooperate better as sort of a "team" of suiter and handler.

That's what I'm getting from this guide; correct me if I'm wrong.

makes sense. sadly i do not know anyone in the fandom at all unless i can just randomly walk in to a convention going on to just check it out see how it is. does it allow like outsiders to conventions and so forth? sorry, i just do not know how conventions work cause i never been to one but been thinking of going to a few different kinds later this year just for out of curiosity.

Fay V

Lost to this world
makes sense. sadly i do not know anyone in the fandom at all unless i can just randomly walk in to a convention going on to just check it out see how it is. does it allow like outsiders to conventions and so forth? sorry, i just do not know how conventions work cause i never been to one but been thinking of going to a few different kinds later this year just for out of curiosity.
Not really sure what you're asking here. A handler doesn't have to be a furry, you just need a friend that is willing to help out.
As for attending cons, you won't be allowed into con space without buying registration. However you can buy a day pass at the con.
If you've never been to a convention before I suggest holding off on suiting if you are unsure. Just go to a con and enjoy yourself without the suit, then if you like it you can suit later.

BINKS_Wolf

It is great to see this on a board. I have been part of the Star Wars 501st Legion and Rebel Legion for about 10-years now. I have been several mascots from my zoo, local Children's Museum and more. Everything you posted above is correct and nice to see in writing. This information is not just for newbies but for the experienced as well. Sometimes those who have done this for a long time need a reminder.

Rex Aeterna

Not really sure what you're asking here. A handler doesn't have to be a furry, you just need a friend that is willing to help out.
As for attending cons, you won't be allowed into con space without buying registration. However you can buy a day pass at the con.
If you've never been to a convention before I suggest holding off on suiting if you are unsure. Just go to a con and enjoy yourself without the suit, then if you like it you can suit later.

cool man. sorry, it was like 3am and i'm not use to staying up so my thinking pattern was very sluggish. i was trying to get a project on my headphones done. thanks for the info tho. i greatly appreciate your help. i wasn't plan on suiting or anything. just want to visit one to see how it is cause it does strike my interest greatly. i just thought only fur suiters and handlers were allowed in so i asked to make sure and double check see if anyone can go to the convention. wasn't sure if there were rules not allowing anyone but fur suiters or handlers in. i got my answer and i greatly appreciate your help.

Fay V

Lost to this world
cool man. sorry, it was like 3am and i'm not use to staying up so my thinking pattern was very sluggish. i was trying to get a project on my headphones done. thanks for the info tho. i greatly appreciate your help. i wasn't plan on suiting or anything. just want to visit one to see how it is cause it does strike my interest greatly. i just thought only fur suiters and handlers were allowed in so i asked to make sure and double check see if anyone can go to the convention. wasn't sure if there were rules not allowing anyone but fur suiters or handlers in. i got my answer and i greatly appreciate your help.
No problem, and yes non-suiters are allowed to go to cons. In fact most con goers aren't in costume (though may wear ears or tails)
Only about 10-20% of people at a con will be suiters, and they aren't in suit the entire time. It appears to be all suiters because people like to take pictures of the costumes, rather than the regular people attending.

Urbandingo

I noticed that you recommended that a fursuiter to get Underarmor to wear. Do you think you could suggest some products as they have many of them I.E. Should one look for one of the Tight fitting long sleeve shirts and tights?

Tundru

I noticed that you recommended that a fursuiter to get Underarmor to wear. Do you think you could suggest some products as they have many of them I.E. Should one look for one of the Tight fitting long sleeve shirts and tights?

Yes, you want the stuff called "Heat Gear" I know it sounds contradictory but that's the stuff I wear under my suit to keep the sweat and skin oils off my suit. It's pricy (top and bottom are both $50 depending on where you go) It's the tight fitting long sleeve shirts and tights.

Kaluna

*squeak squeak squeak*
Yes, you want the stuff called "Heat Gear" I know it sounds contradictory but that's the stuff I wear under my suit to keep the sweat and skin oils off my suit. It's pricy (top and bottom are both $50 depending on where you go) It's the tight fitting long sleeve shirts and tights.
Yes that's the stuff you want but you can also get a generic brand of the same material at Target or wal-mart and it's like $20 for each a top and a bottom. I found a short sleeve shirt and some short in the clearance section for $6 and $8 respectively and they work just fine for my purposes, though I would have preferred a long sleeve, I am on a budget.