• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fursuiting Guide

Arlo

Charmingly Eccentric
I noticed that you recommended that a fursuiter to get Underarmor to wear. Do you think you could suggest some products as they have many of them I.E. Should one look for one of the Tight fitting long sleeve shirts and tights?

I wear a one piece lycra diveskin under my fursuit. Provides good sweat wicking and when you de-suit it cools very quickly. It also has the benefit of being reasonble in price ($35-$49 on ebay). Used in conjunction w/a lycra balaclava it has worked well for me.

Hope this helps!

Tundru

Something else I've found out recently: while drinking water in suit is a good idea, Gatorade is even better for you. It puts electrolytes, carbs, etc that you sweat out back into your body. I've found I can suit for longer sipping on Gatorade instead of just drinking water. Although water is still very good for you in suit.

..."Don't go naked"
Do people *really* do this? Really...? This screams "BAD IDEA"

Nice to know about some of these things though :p I really didn't know you couldn't go to a mall/store with a head on...(there goes my idea for having fun at walmart)

Fay V

Lost to this world
..."Don't go naked"

Nice to know about some of these things though :p I really didn't know you couldn't go to a mall/store with a head on...(there goes my idea for having fun at walmart)

Malls no, walmart I have done. The important thing to remember is that calling ahead of time will help you avoid trouble no matter what. It's better to call ahead then show up and find out that you'll be banned from the place.

Bornes

Hobby Costume Wearer
What general perception do you get outside the fandom when you suit?
I go out in costume a lot and it's received very well, buy most costumes aren't masked and I am in japan. So the culture is very different.
I know public places are free for everyone but I've still heard of people calling cops on suiters in the US.
I'm american but I've only been in suit in japan, so I'm a little anxious about uncultured americans being... well... dicks.

Last edited:

ProgOtter

I'm not a big talker anyway, so I'd definitely be silent and have fun with the nonverbal expressions. If only I had a suit. There's no way I'd have the money for it with college and all. :<

Last edited:

Pine

smell-good badger
Since I'm new to fursuiting, this guide has been really helpful. Something I could suggest for staying hydrated is using a camel pack, though it would look pretty awkward either outside or under the suit.

Anyways, thanks a lot.

Moonfall The Fox

Resident Psycho Fox
I'm going to anthrocon and will be suiting in a partial. Hopefully, it will not be as hot as a fullsuit since I will have normal clothing on except the head and arms. One of the people I'm going with will be willing to be my handler, I bet. Especially since I won't be suiting a whole lot, I'm shy and easily get self conscious, and will want to look around the con a lot.

Is it unheard of for a small group of suiters to act as handlers for eachother? (IE, if the fox misses something the wolf will see it, they can look out for eachother.)

Calico-Feathers

Climbin' in yo windows.
I'm going to anthrocon and will be suiting in a partial. Hopefully, it will not be as hot as a fullsuit since I will have normal clothing on except the head and arms. One of the people I'm going with will be willing to be my handler, I bet. Especially since I won't be suiting a whole lot, I'm shy and easily get self conscious, and will want to look around the con a lot.

Is it unheard of for a small group of suiters to act as handlers for eachother? (IE, if the fox misses something the wolf will see it, they can look out for eachother.)

This is generally how I do the handler situation. I always felt kind of like a dick asking someone to follow me around out of suit, especially since 90% of my friends are suiters, too. XD I've found I can handle myself pretty well without a handler so I don't use one, but having a buddy or two in suit also can help. And since they're going to be running around with you anyway... XD All the more fun! Anthrocon, however, is a whole different monster from what I understand. It's massive, and easy to get lost in. Not to mention the sheer number of people. If I ever went, I'd definitely try to stick with at least one other buddy (whether a suiter or not) just so as not to get turned around.

Fay V

Lost to this world
What general perception do you get outside the fandom when you suit?
I go out in costume a lot and it's received very well, buy most costumes aren't masked and I am in japan. So the culture is very different.
I know public places are free for everyone but I've still heard of people calling cops on suiters in the US.
I'm american but I've only been in suit in japan, so I'm a little anxious about uncultured americans being... well... dicks.
I think it depends on where you are an how you act. I've heard people called the cops on suiters, but said suiters were hanging around playgrounds. This seems like a fun idea but it largely looks creepy as hell.
I've never had a bad experience just going out and suiting. Most people think it's cute and I never try to push myself on others when I'm just out and about, I certainly avoid those "stranger around kids" situations.

Since I'm new to fursuiting, this guide has been really helpful. Something I could suggest for staying hydrated is using a camel pack, though it would look pretty awkward either outside or under the suit.

Anyways, thanks a lot.
The camel pack can be alright but I caution against it. This guide is written for brand new suiters and hydration is a big deal, but the straight up heat is also a problem. THe camel pack has you stay in suit longer.
It's better to take frequent breaks to drink rather than stay in as long as possible.

It can be done, especially at cons. In general if you're in con space this is okay. There's enough people around that are fursuit aware so you're not going to get into major trouble and suiters can keep an eye on each other.

If you go outside for the love of your health please have some out of suit handlers. Cars and such don't give you the benefit of a doubt and you absolutely need someone that isn't wearing a mask or anything.

Trust me on that one, even a veteran suiter will get into trouble at a traffic light. people stop and want pictures, and crowd up, so you need someone out of suit to help you get out of there without getting hit by a car.

Flarei

Flarei Le Loup
A quick question; I'm interested in fur suiting, however, I don't want a full suit. Just hand paws, tail, feet paws, head. No body suit. Would I have issues with people thinking it's a yiff-suit? I haven't been to a con before, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect in the matter of partial suits.

(Apoligies for bad or misused terminology.)

Fay V

Lost to this world
A quick question; I'm interested in fur suiting, however, I don't want a full suit. Just hand paws, tail, feet paws, head. No body suit. Would I have issues with people thinking it's a yiff-suit? I haven't been to a con before, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect in the matter of partial suits.

(Apoligies for bad or misused terminology.)

No so far as I am aware people do not automatically assume partials are all yiff suits, unless you design it in a way that screams "I think this is sexy".

Greyscale

The only time I see something the screams "I fuck in this" is when its a full bodysuit wearing just boxers or shorts.

Flarei

Flarei Le Loup
Thanks for the help. :)

Origamigryphon

Origami Extraordinaire
..."Don't go naked"

Yes. I have seen it in person. It was nasty.

(Granted they were stripped down to the waist, I definitely did not want to find out if there was anything below that, ugh.)

My lycra diveskin is my lifesaver. I never suit without it. One time I lost it (forgotten in one of my bags) and I used some thin pajamas. NEVER AGAIN

Also something to add: if you don't know the gender of the person in the suit, by god, stay away from the chest area. It doesn't matter if most suiters are men, women are also a large percentage. I have had people 'scritch' or touch my chest not knowing there was a (very flat chested) woman underneath.

This even happened in the headless lounge. I was stripped down to my waist (wearing my diveskin of course) and some suiter comes up to me and pokes me right on the chest. I looked down at the poking, and then to the side at my friend standing beside me and asked, "Why is he poking me in the boob?" I just thought it was more funny than anything, but the poor guy was mortified. XD

narukiba

I am a high school mascot and I use a professional suit. It's an eagle suit that has it's mouth open and is very easy to see through, though most of the times I can't see peoples faces. Apparently it was made for someone missing a few digits in their neck. I usually wear one of my workout dri fits and a pair of compression shorts and maybe running shorts over it. A thin layer is good as long as it is a good water wicking material. Also I most often go out without a handler because I'm usually at sporting events and stuff like that where I'm the center of attention. So obviously if I fall face forward and look dead someone will notice. A problem for noobs is you need to watch out for the Asians. And other foreigners. They are very polite and kind people, but if you can't understand them to begin with, being inside of a bubble doesn't help. One time a Korean family came up to me and it took them about five minutes to convey that they didn't want a picture of me but for me to take a picture of them. Why choose the only person in the world who can't take a photo due to the fact they are inside of a giant animal suit. I don't know. For people new to suiting get a handler. Personally my handler is usually my best friend in a morph suit. They can never figure out who it is. Plus it's just more fun. They have better vision and senses and their weirdness will make people like you more. One time he was my "shadow" and I don't think he was ever farther than an inch away. It was weird but it did get us more attention.

Last edited:

Kahoku

Forgive Yourself
If I might add one other thing, avoid drinks and crowds with drinks....yeah....also very nice post. And deodorant behind the knees helps too, it may sound weird but it helped me.

Last edited:

Inashne117

Something else I've found out recently: while drinking water in suit is a good idea, Gatorade is even better for you. It puts electrolytes, carbs, etc that you sweat out back into your body. I've found I can suit for longer sipping on Gatorade instead of just drinking water. Although water is still very good for you in suit.

Yes, water should be your primary drink while in suit, not exclusively gatorade. Also, you need to make an effort to get a drink the moment you start to feel thirsty. At that point you're already dehydrated.

It might also be a good idea to have your handler carry around a bag of mixed nuts if you start to get hungry while suiting. A hand full of mixed nuts can sate your hunger for quite a while until you can get a proper meal.

Last edited:

Shaloxeroligon

Sound Sculptor
Hey,

So I'm new to fursuiting. I'm hoping to eventually get enough money saved up for one. I had a question about handlers. I feel like it'd be hard to find someone willing to be a handler for you. Like, they'd have to follow you around and make sure you don't pass out or something. What is a good way to find someone who would be willing to be a handler for you? Do they have a "handler service" that you can request one from someone?

Inashne117

Hey,

So I'm new to fursuiting. I'm hoping to eventually get enough money saved up for one. I had a question about handlers. I feel like it'd be hard to find someone willing to be a handler for you. Like, they'd have to follow you around and make sure you don't pass out or something. What is a good way to find someone who would be willing to be a handler for you? Do they have a "handler service" that you can request one from someone?

Easiest way to get a handler is to just ask a friend.

Psypris

Handler
Thank you for this thread! I'm a relatively new handler and while I've done my fair share of research about safety, it's always nice to hear tips from veterans =D

I'm a dedicated cosplayer & I've always been attracted to furries, so when my sister "Came out" I was ecstatic to interact with one on a closer level! We've definitely learned the hard way about doing things,(she and I had our first experience in our Kero (my profile pic) and Suppi cosplays from Cardcaptor Sakura; luckily we had 4 friends with us who were excellent handlers (there were no elevators at the con, so we had to go up and down stairs several times... nightmare!) but now that she's found her footing (she loves quads!), I've made it my mission to be the best handler ever!

Which brings me to the etiquette of assisting stranger fursuiters. Obviously, in a case of extreme emergency, there are no manners. But I'm a little over-protective of my sister & that bleeds into every furry I've encountered. Often times I can't see the handler & the furry looks a bit lost, but I can't tell if they need assistance or if they're just "taking it all in". My question is, as a fursuiter, do you appreciate strangers asking if you need help? I don't want to be rude (especially if they are fine & they in fact do have a handler) but I have helped stranger furries in the past, so I guess I'm wondering if I should be more confident with asking? I really don't mind helping (in fact, I enjoy it ^_^).

Another 'question' I had was that She and I normally attend anime conventions, but next year we're planning on attending a furry convention. In your experiences, has there been much of a difference between the two? I imagine the furry con (Furry Weekend Atlanta is the one we'll be attending) would be easier on fursuiters, since the majority of attendees understand what it's like, right? And, while we won't be cosplaying (She'll be her own character (It's a partial) ), are mascots/ furry cosplays / quadsuits generally accepted amongst all fursuiters or is there a stigma against them? (I've heard rumors is all ^_^; ).

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Campion1

I have a simple question, as I'll be suiting in a few weeks (Partial) : Where are some good/OK places to suit? I know all the wrong places, just not the right ones. Thanks.

Shaloxeroligon

Sound Sculptor
I have a simple question, as I'll be suiting in a few weeks (Partial) : Where are some good/OK places to suit? I know all the wrong places, just not the right ones. Thanks.

The best place to suit: cons. Next best: furmeets. But cons are by far the best, because they have fursuiter support in addition to awesome adoring fans.